Custom Vehicle Discussions > CVO™ Breakout™

Wreckage parts

<< < (2/3) > >>

CVODON:
Talk with the Insurance Company adjustor, not an independent appraiser, not the repair shop, the actual adjustor who is employed by the Insurance company. He, or she, is the actual person who issues payment. He has the authority to control what happens to the parts as his position is the issuer of payment. He is controlled by his companies rules, but most times as long as he has a receipt for the REPLACEMENT part, which means it was actually installed, then he does not object to the OWNER retaining the part.
I always felt if the owner wanted it, then OK. But if the shop attempted to retain the parts I would go by and pick them up, call the owner and assure they didn't want them. If the owner didn't want them, and most don't, then went into the training room for inspection by new hires and eventually destroyed or sent to Copart if enough value was possible to be sold as salvage. I have moved high end parts from repairable bikes to Copart or IAA and had them sold. The Insurance company has the right, as stated in your policy, to attempt to recoup its loss and that includes selling "salvage" items.

Frank FX:
I had the same issue a few years ago. 3 dealers wanted the painted parts. I explained its not warranty but they wouldn't budge. The last dealer had no problem returning MY parts so the got the job.

Phreakyz:
They probably want to sell it on eBay.   Just take a look on there.  There are all kinds of parts that appear to be collision replacements.   You are interrupting their side revenue stream!

Threephase:
If the part is VIN restricted, then yes, Harley requires the return of the old part in order to buy a replacement. Just like the 3D bar and shield logo on the new gas tanks. Try ordering a new gas tank from another dealer without mentioning an insurance clain and see what they say.it usually says in the parts catalogues if it is VIN restricted.

rjackson229:
Update:

I talked with another dealership and was told that yes the gas tank is a VIN Restricted part.  When I called I didn't even mention a problem just that I would like to buy a new tank and they told me it was VIN restricted. 

The parts guy I talked to said that he didn't see anything on his computer screen about me having to turn in an old one but that since it is a VIN restricted part I must verify that I own the current part/CVO bike before he could order a new one.

If anyone was curious I was quoted for the hard candy orange 2014 breakout CVO tank - $1,943.00 + $327.00 (3 hours labor)

So, very politely I will be demanding to keep my parts.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version