Custom Vehicle Discussions > CVO™ Road Glide Ultra®

Thinking about finally getting a Road Glide CVO

(1/6) > >>

WildmanUltra:
Howdy all,
I haven't posted on here in a long time. My ex-wife had a CVO Convertable which is how I first came to be on this site. When we divorced she took her bike and then promptly let the darn thing be repo'd. But that is who other story.

I currently own a 2011 Road Glide Ultra with super low miles on it. Due to an injury in Iraq in 2004 I haven't been able to ride for the past 4 years and am just now getting back into riding again.
I had to have my lower right leg amputated in May 2018 due to the nerve damage to my lower leg. So in May 2019 I got my endorsement back and have been riding my RGU and really love being back in the saddle. Right after I had gotten my Ultra I saw my first CVO RGU and fell in love with them. Not really a lot of differences other than all the added niceties that come with a CVO.

When the new Rushmore bikes came out in 2014 was right about the time I had to stop riding due to the nerve damage. So I have never ridden a Rushmore bike and have no idea what it is like. I've read all the reports and heard people talk about how the redesign has made these newer bikes nicer than the older ones.

So a dealer near me (2 1/2 hours away) has a 2015 CVO Road Glide in Orange & Black which is about my favorite Harley colors. I'm just not sure if the newer bike is all it is cracked up to be over the older one. Yes I would be going from a 103 to a 110 engine and I would get all the KEWL KID stuff that a CVO has to offer. I'm not a huge fan of all the chrome and would slowly black out a lot of the bike if I did happen to buy it. But I am curious to hear from people who went from an older bike to the newer Rushmore style bike. I've been told that the newer frame doesn't have the slow speed head shake like my 2011 RGU has. I've also been told the newer suspension is nicer than what I have? But I thought the 2015 still had the air shocks?

I know I am the only person that can make this choice but I'm looking for input from those who went to the Rushmore from an older bike. Was it really that different? Can you feel it just my riding it for 10-15 minutes?

Here is the bike I am thinking about going to look at. My RGU is in the shop right now getting dyno tuned.

https://www.eastsideharley.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2015-Harley-Davidson-Motorcycle-Scooter-FLTRUSE-CVO-Road-Glide-Ultra-CVO-Emerald-City-HD-6925148?ref=list

GregKhougaz:
You might want to read some of the threads in the board to which I moved yours. In particular, read this one which answers your questions especially at reply numbers 108 and 132:  2015 RGU: I'm Blue... So Blue...

OBB:
Good to see you I over here too WM. I shortened my screen name here from ohiobellboy to just OBB. I went from an '11 CVORGU or SERGU to to '15 and there's a lot of improvement. Stock air shocks still suck though. If you have aftermarket on your '11, they'll bolt right up. New front forks are nicer than the '11 but was improved again in '17 with the introduction of the M8 engine. Navigation is decent once you learn to use it. Stereo is better than what you have e now but that isn't saying much. Probably my most favorite feature of the CVO Ultras is the power locks.

Extra power is nice. You'll learn to like chrome too . I'd suggest a warranty of some sorts as the water pumps on these can be a bit of a headache and the lifters can be prone in the 110 engine to go bad and take out the engine if not caught in time.

They brake pedal is higher in the '15 than you're used to. Might be something to change out with your prosthetic on that side. Softbrake and Kury both make replacement pedals that lower it.

Plenty of good info on here and others will chime in too.

See ya at SW IX. in a few months

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

WildmanUltra:

--- Quote from: GregKhougaz on June 08, 2019, 07:03:47 PM ---You might want to read some of the threads in the board to which I moved yours. In particular, read this one which answers your questions especially at reply numbers 108 and 132:  2015 RGU: I'm Blue... So Blue...

--- End quote ---

Thanks for moving it, sorry for posting in the wrong area. I will read up on this section as I want to try and make an informed decision. While I really like my 2011 RGU I have always wanted a CVO RGU and it seems like this might be the time to do it.

WildmanUltra:

--- Quote from: OBB on June 08, 2019, 07:07:37 PM ---Good to see you I over here too WM. I shortened my screen name here from ohiobellboy to just OBB. I went from an '11 CVORGU or SERGU to to '15 and there's a lot of improvement. Stock air shocks still suck though. If you have aftermarket on your '11, they'll bolt right up. New front forks are nicer than the '11 but was improved again in '17 with the introduction of the M8 engine. Navigation is decent once you learn to use it. Stereo is better than what you have e now but that isn't saying much. Probably my most favorite feature of the CVO Ultras is the power locks.

Extra power is nice. You'll learn to like chrome too . I'd suggest a warranty of some sorts as the water pumps on these can be a bit of a headache and the lifters can be prone in the 110 engine to go bad and take out the engine if not caught in time.

They brake pedal is higher in the '15 than you're used to. Might be something to change out with your prosthetic on that side. Softbrake and Kury both make replacement pedals that lower it.

Plenty of good info on here and others will chime in too.

See ya at SW IX. in a few months

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

--- End quote ---

I have already talked with Rick from Soft Brake and am going to ride my bike over to his shop and he is going to make a rear brake lever to work with my prosthetic in whatever form I need. So if I keep my current bike or get a CVO I will be going to see him.

So the rear Tour Pack light bar on the 2016 doesn't have turn signals in it like the 2015? I added that to my 2011 and one of the big things was I wanted those added turn signal lights.
I'm going to read this section but what pressure sensor are you referring to?
I don't think you are going to convince me to like chrome...……….. I've been slowly blacking out my 2011 RGU.

Yes see you in a few months, looking forward to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version