Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to find a helmet that fit  (Read 3831 times)

adriannafadel

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

Trying to find a helmet that fit
« on: August 11, 2020, 04:24:57 AM »

Hey guys! I have some trouble with choosing a motorcycle helmet. I have quite a big head and it is really a big problem when come to choose a lid that fit me well. This is a really frustrating task. I tried different types of helmets from half shell lid to full-face and finally found one that I felt the most OKay.

The problem is that the helmet makes me really uncomfortable in long rides, especially in the warmer weather. It causes pain on the sides of my head, especially the area above my ears.

If I can find a company that makes DOT approved Modular helmets that can fit my head perfectly, no matter how expensive it is, I will try my best to buy it. Unluckily, I can't find one. Could you guys please tell me whether that kind of company exists?

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 11:29:43 PM by adriannafadel »

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
Re: Trying to find a helmet that fit
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 09:29:32 AM »

Something that you can try, is if you have a helmet that fits good front to back, you can purchase a smaller set of the cheek pads usually.  The manufacturers do not make a different helmet shell for each different size.  A shell may fit  several different sizes (say L, XL, XXL) and they make up the difference inside with a different lining across the top and rear and different cheek pads. 

Actually the front to back coan be helped with the lining too.

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 09:48:25 AM »

Do you know your head shape, e.g., round, oval, intermediate oval? Helmet manufactures make different shape helmets to accommodate the many different heads’ shapes and sizes. Revzilla has a lot of info on this.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 10:42:06 AM »

Call one of the GearGeeks at Revzilla.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 11:06:07 PM »

I wear a 7 7/8 hat (sometimes a 8) and the AGV Carbon Sportmodular in XXL fits me perfect and crazy comfortable once broken in. Excellent air flow also
Alan

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 12:56:43 PM »

Try an Arai helmet.  They make helmets for different shaped heads and don’t use one shell for all sizes. They have great ventilation and are very, very comfortable.  I have tried so many other brands and nothing has been a better fit than Arai.  Good luck.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 09:56:39 PM »

We had good luck on sizing by going to Cycle Gear and start trying the different brands and sizes on. Wife is very happy with what she was able to find for a fit off the shelf. I was close to being happy and as mentioned above was able to swap cheek pads around to a larger size. Comfortable fit now.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 05:07:59 PM »

+1 for cycle gear

Shoei neotec2 in 2x or Schuberth 3x not sure how large the Schubert goes up to these are both modular helmets

Shoei you can gain additional room as they have multiple size padding that is interchangable

Both offer deeper ears so you can add internal speaker without losing space or hitting your ear.

My last helmet was an HJC Modular last 3 years but now the spring mechanisms are starting to fail so like you have been checking out larger helmets
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Wesleypalms

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 12:27:07 PM »

+2 for Cycle Gear! I bought a bunch of XL’s over the years and they just weren’t right. Went to Cycle Gear and tried on everyone they had. I didn’t care about what brand. Found a Bell that fit just right. Ordered the color I wanted and couldn’t be happier. The color is actual a perfect match my bike. Don’t settle, there’s one out there for you.

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.