Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Full faced helmets in the Southern heat  (Read 14700 times)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Full faced helmets in the Southern heat
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »

Terry...that's the way I used to use the sunshade on my Nolan N-102.  I'd bring it down just enough to shade my eyes.

Once your helmets "wear out" try one of the newer styles that have the internal sun visor...it is seriously a nice feature, particularly if you wear glasses and don't want to spend the big dollars on prescription sunglasses and have to keep up with two pair of spectacles.  And those tunnels you go through occasionally are a real bitch if you've got sunglasses on...all of the sudden, you can't see chit!   :huepfenlol2:
They have the internal sun visor. Mrs R told me bout that little trick just bringing it down just enough to block the sun.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »

I just bought a Shoei Neo-Tech and wore it for the first time last weekend. Tried wearing a half helmet but never felt safe, kept remembering an off road accident I had when I was a kid. Tree root through just below my lower lip knocking three teeth loose and several stitches inside and out. The ventilation on the Neotech was impressive on the top of my head, the lower vent didn't pick up much because of the fairing and windscreen but helped with breath exhaust, actually felt cooler than my half helmet because of the top vents. Big difference in the road sounds, couldn't hear the stereo as well and the exhaust notes seemed to reverberate inside the helmet a bit, quietest modular I have ever worn though, virtually none of the whistling I experienced with a cheaper modular I own. Not sure this is my favorite yet but overall I am pleased with it. I have the thinner cheek pads ordered, the stock pads are too tight on my face. Got mine at cyclegear as well.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 01:53:19 PM »

The reverb was one of my peeves with a full bucket...low freq noise...

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 02:04:30 PM »

I just bought a Shoei Neo-Tech and wore it for the first time last weekend. Tried wearing a half helmet but never felt safe, kept remembering an off road accident I had when I was a kid. Tree root through just below my lower lip knocking three teeth loose and several stitches inside and out. The ventilation on the Neotech was impressive on the top of my head, the lower vent didn't pick up much because of the fairing and windscreen but helped with breath exhaust, actually felt cooler than my half helmet because of the top vents. Big difference in the road sounds, couldn't hear the stereo as well and the exhaust notes seemed to reverberate inside the helmet a bit, quietest modular I have ever worn though, virtually none of the whistling I experienced with a cheaper modular I own. Not sure this is my favorite yet but overall I am pleased with it. I have the thinner cheek pads ordered, the stock pads are too tight on my face. Got mine at cyclegear as well.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Neotec but, unfortunately for me, they don't come in 3XL. I'm going to try a 2XL on but I have my doubts that it'll fit.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Neotec but, unfortunately for me, they don't come in 3XL. I'm going to try a 2XL on but I have my doubts that it'll fit.

Joe, you'll probably be fine with the 2XL.  Shoeis run a little big.  I have a 2XL Mulitech with small cheek pads and it fits great.  Best feeling helmet I've ever had.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 02:50:31 PM »

Keep in mind that different, thinner pads are available if it is just tight on your face or ears. Explore that option before you write it off as a no go unless your hat size is way over an 8.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 03:41:16 PM »

Just looked at Shoei's website. They say the 2XL will fit heads from 24-3/4 to 25-1/8. Janet measured my head three times and came up with 25-1/8 so there is hope. :)

Joe
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:48:11 PM by JoeVibe »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 03:54:34 PM »

Just looked at Shoei's website. They say the 2XL will fit heads from 24-3/4 to 25-1/8. Janet measured my head three times and came up with 25-1/8 so there is hope. :)

Joe

Revzilla lists the Neotec 2XL as fitting up to 25 1/4, so maybe you're in luck!!

A quick look shows that the Nolan N-104 is available in 3XL.  Also, the Schuberth C3 Pro is available in 3XL.  The C3's are PRICEY, but they are EXCELLENT helmets.  Just kind of hard to find sometimes.

Good Luck!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 08:28:56 PM »

Well, I ran out to Cyclegear this afternoon. The Neotec and Multitec are definitely out.  :( Apparently we didn't measure my head correctly. The 2X was way too tight on my crown and my chin was laying on the front of the helmet when it was down. The salesman recommended a HJC modular but he didn't have it in stock so he offered to order one "no strings attached". I'll check it out when it comes in. In the meantime, my hunt continues. Looks like it's going to rain all weekend so it'll be a good time to go shopping.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 07:29:55 AM »

Measure it...your head that is...the on top of your shoulders that is...with a cloth measuring tape, like the tailors use, then you will have an adeer as to how big the bucket is..mine was 23 1/2 but oblong front to back not a perfect balloon ...keep on looking and lets see is the guys at cycle gear guys wish they had never seen you walk in the store... :huepfenlol2:

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 09:04:04 AM »

That's how I measured mine, came up with 25-1/8". I must have a shape issue too because the 2X Neotec was too small and uncomfortable the moment I put it on. I did some web searching last night and I really like the look of the Nolan N-104 that Midnight Rider mentioned and, as he said, it comes in 3X. I'm gonna make some calls this morning to see if I can find one in stock locally that I can try on.

The Cyclegear guy is shipping in a HJC IS-MAX for me to try. It should be in Monday. I like the look and the price is good (about $200). Any comments on this helmet?

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 09:08:02 AM »

I dunno, but after meeting you, it appears that you may have a box fer a noggin... :huepfenlol2:

I got so frustrated getting a fit, I cut out a carboard sheet and kept trimming it until it fit around my squash...the outline was frightening... :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:22:51 AM by miker »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 09:19:02 AM »

That's how I measured mine, came up with 25-1/8". I must have a shape issue too because the 2X Neotec was too small and uncomfortable the moment I put it on. I did some web searching last night and I really like the look of the Nolan N-104 that Midnight Rider mentioned and, as he said, it comes in 3X. I'm gonna make some calls this morning to see if I can find one in stock locally that I can try on.

The Cyclegear guy is shipping in a HJC IS-MAX for me to try. It should be in Monday. I like the look and the price is good (about $200). Any comments on this helmet?

Joe, my new Neotec is a 2X and seems on the small side to me, too.  I don't think it's much, if any, larger than my XL Nolan.  But a 2X Nolan was huge on me, so maybe they run big and a 2X or 3X will end up being just what you need.  Good luck!

ultrarider123

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 09:20:02 AM »

Well, I ran out to Cyclegear this afternoon. The Neotec and Multitec are definitely out.  :( Apparently we didn't measure my head correctly. The 2X was way too tight on my crown and my chin was laying on the front of the helmet when it was down. The salesman recommended a HJC modular but he didn't have it in stock so he offered to order one "no strings attached". I'll check it out when it comes in. In the meantime, my hunt continues. Looks like it's going to rain all weekend so it'll be a good time to go shopping.

Gotta have a big noggin to hold all the brains, Joe....... :2vrolijk_21:

X2 on the rain.....AGAIN....FOR THE WEEKEND!!!!!!!

ultrarider123

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »

I hate throwing this out there as most of the comments are on aftermarket/other-than-HD helmets.  I looked back through the threads and don't see any mention of the HD helmet options.  I know they have larger sizes in their selections at most dealerships....may be something to at least try on for comparison.  I know I'm very happy with my HD Hybrid half helmet.  While not a 3/4 or full face, it's VERY comfortable and light weight...my two cents.

Howard
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.