Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2000 SERG Stock Exhaust  (Read 1580 times)

ChuckB

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

2000 SERG Stock Exhaust
« on: August 10, 2015, 11:19:45 PM »

Has the factory shark tails on.

If I knock out the stock slip ons, will I have to re-map the ignition?

Will I notice much improvement? (Bike runs great as it is, but..)

How much louder will the bike be? Don't mind a little louder, but generally, I like things quiet.

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

• CVO1: 2001 Sceamin eagle road glide (custom)
Re: 2000 SERG Stock Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 07:28:56 AM »

Generally just taking out the baffles (which I do not recommend) does nothing for performance,  only sound.  It may hurt low end HP.   But,  I think the sharktails are very restrictive.  I do not like those on any bike. 
Mavericks RC
MFFM

Powered by gasoline and southern comfort!

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 09:46:18 PM »

Has the factory shark tails on.

If I knock out the stock slip ons, will I have to re-map the ignition?

Will I notice much improvement? (Bike runs great as it is, but..)

How much louder will the bike be? Don't mind a little louder, but generally, I like things quiet.

The stock mufflers were actually a version of an SE muffler with a freeze plug installed.  They will sound great with the plug out and an open end cap to just keep the restrictive fishtails on and take out the plug.  It's only held in with a speck of weld and can easily have another one installed.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

ChuckB

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 02:57:49 AM »

The stock mufflers were actually a version of an SE muffler with a freeze plug installed.  They will sound great with the plug out and an open end cap to just keep the restrictive fishtails on and take out the plug.  It's only held in with a speck of weld and can easily have another one installed.

Cool! I'll have to take a look and see.  8)

Denial

• B-52 Gunner
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 04:51:15 PM »

I love my "shark fins" so I started with taking out the freeze plug thing. That did little or nothing to the sound.
Next I completely gutted the whole muffler and installed "Big City Thunder" baffles in the muffler end of the header pipes while keeping my beloved "shark fins" the sound is nice and not too loud but definitely sounds like a strong bagger. No remapping or tuner needed.
Lesson learned: The 2000 & 2001 SERG muffler baffles are welded in on both ends. If you can find later model 3 1/2 SE mufflers to gut out you could save a ton of grinding and hammering and your shark fins will bolt right on. ;)
1978 Electra Glide
2001 SERG

ChuckB

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 07:11:12 PM »

Just an update.

Decided to remove the "freeze plugs" out of my mufflers. Realized the only way to do it was to remove the shields and the shark fins. Shields, no problem. The fins were a different story. Removing the three flathead Allen screws was a challenge, but by tapping on the Allen socket, and slowly turning the screws a little at a time, back and fourth, I finally got them all out of both mufflers. I rounded the head on one, but was able to pound a larger Torx socket in tightly, allowing me to get it to turn. The fins that had been on for 15 years took some side to side and up and down wiggling, but I finally got them off. I drilled some holes in the plugs near the rim and was able to bend the rim in and break the small welds, allowing them to be removed. Reassembled everything (WD-40 helped a lot getting the fins slid back on as did wire brushing the contact area using my bench grinder). I then took it for a long ride.

It obviously made a difference in the sound, although not much louder.. it's what I deem perfect for me. Not too loud. Also I noticed  better throttle response.

Overall, I am quite pleased with the results.  :cucumber:

Thanks everyone for the help!   

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 25 queries.