Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: TMAT II  (Read 16425 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: TMAT II
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2007, 11:52:20 AM »

Jerry,

The TMAX retails for $485.00, TMAX with AT retails for $865.95.  Not sure where you are saving $800.00 over a PCIII or SERT.

Your previous post makes it clear that you would not choose the TMAX, but I remain curious as to whether you have any first hand experience with the product?

Regards,
John
John,

The $800 savings I mentioned is due to the fact I already have the PCIII, so buying the TM-AT would be an additional $800.  And yes, I purchased a TMax in 2006, an experience in utter frustration.  As I explained to JK at the time, the bike ran better with a cheap DFO unit than it did with the TMax.  Without boring you with all the details, suffice it to say that after trying all the various "tweaks" he eventually suggested (answers were extremely slow to come by), I returned the unit and went another direction (PCIII).  One of his excuses was that there was a large amount of variation in H-D throttle bodies that could throw off their mapping.  Yes, that is why no canned map is optimum for every seemingly identical bike, but it doesn't keep the bike from starting properly or make it run so rich you can smell raw fuel.  And those same TB/injectors/sensors/etc. ran fine with the DFO and later with the PCIII.

The premise of the TM and TM-AT may be excellent (I still think the software needs to be more like the SERT or Daytona Twin-Tech), but from what I have personally seen and heard the implementation has been pretty poor so far.  At least the Daytona folks are up front with their claims and let you know you will have to go into the software and correct base settings where the correction factors are too high (the intent is to keep the correction table values as small as possible, as is true with any closed loop system).  Zipper's, on the other hand, still tries to make people believe this is a plug and play, no effort required system, and only offers up the truth about the need to manually tune the bike after you've spent the bucks.  Not acceptable in my humble opinion.

I'm not trying to be difficult, or to suggest that the TM or TM-AT is junk.  I just think everyone deserves to know up front that the claims are highly exaggerated and should at least come with one of those standard CYA disclaimers, such as "Your results may vary".  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2007, 12:10:29 PM »

John,

The $800 savings I mentioned is due to the fact I already have the PCIII, so buying the TM-AT would be an additional $800.  And yes, I purchased a TMax in 2006, an experience in utter frustration.  As I explained to JK at the time, the bike ran better with a cheap DFO unit than it did with the TMax.  Without boring you with all the details, suffice it to say that after trying all the various "tweaks" he eventually suggested (answers were extremely slow to come by), I returned the unit and went another direction (PCIII).  One of his excuses was that there was a large amount of variation in H-D throttle bodies that could throw off their mapping.  Yes, that is why no canned map is optimum for every seemingly identical bike, but it doesn't keep the bike from starting properly or make it run so rich you can smell raw fuel.  And those same TB/injectors/sensors/etc. ran fine with the DFO and later with the PCIII.

The premise of the TM and TM-AT may be excellent (I still think the software needs to be more like the SERT or Daytona Twin-Tech), but from what I have personally seen and heard the implementation has been pretty poor so far.  At least the Daytona folks are up front with their claims and let you know you will have to go into the software and correct base settings where the correction factors are too high (the intent is to keep the correction table values as small as possible, as is true with any closed loop system).  Zipper's, on the other hand, still tries to make people believe this is a plug and play, no effort required system, and only offers up the truth about the need to manually tune the bike after you've spent the bucks.  Not acceptable in my humble opinion.

I'm not trying to be difficult, or to suggest that the TM or TM-AT is junk.  I just think everyone deserves to know up front that the claims are highly exaggerated and should at least come with one of those standard CYA disclaimers, such as "Your results may vary".  

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the additional information. You offer a reasonable assessment based on your experience with the product and the vendor.

Regards,
John
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2007, 12:20:38 PM »

Jerry,

Thanks for the additional information. You offer a reasonable assessment based on your experience with the product and the vendor.

Regards,
John

John,
Please understand I'm not knocking pride and/or devotion to a product that has done someone a good job.  But in a couple of cases know there have been witnessed a slightly amusing but nearly religious fervor in defending Zippers and their products when others have had an issue.

In my case I bought it and a fair bit of other stuff from them.  Had trouble.  Suffered everything from lacks of response to slow response to eventually no response again.  Said all along that I envied those that had had a much better experience.  Just that my own had been eerily similar to Jerry's (with other painful facets thrown in).

Really, especially among this group of people I'm always happy if someone has gotten something that has done them well and they are pleased with it.  But when the reverse is true the response shouldn't be accusatory defamation (as one of our brethren did an entertaininly poor job of tossing out previously).  Instead just a "damn, glad mine's great but sorry to see you're having trouble with it" would be a much more palatable response.

What I'm getting it is this; what is it about the company or product that brings such zealous appreciation?  Appreciation such that other's who do have difficulty are met question and even denial rather than with friendly support that should be part of the community?

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2007, 04:36:56 PM »

John,
Please understand I'm not knocking pride and/or devotion to a product that has done someone a good job.  But in a couple of cases know there have been witnessed a slightly amusing but nearly religious fervor in defending Zippers and their products when others have had an issue.

In my case I bought it and a fair bit of other stuff from them.  Had trouble.  Suffered everything from lacks of response to slow response to eventually no response again.  Said all along that I envied those that had had a much better experience.  Just that my own had been eerily similar to Jerry's (with other painful facets thrown in).

Really, especially among this group of people I'm always happy if someone has gotten something that has done them well and they are pleased with it.  But when the reverse is true the response shouldn't be accusatory defamation (as one of our brethren did an entertaininly poor job of tossing out previously).  Instead just a "damn, glad mine's great but sorry to see you're having trouble with it" would be a much more palatable response.

What I'm getting it is this; what is it about the company or product that brings such zealous appreciation?  Appreciation such that other's who do have difficulty are met question and even denial rather than with friendly support that should be part of the community?

Don,

I agree without question that the TMax AT has not delivered the plug 'n' play performance that is advertised and that some folks have had an extremely difficult time receiving a reasonable level of support form Zippers.  I am not defending that aspect of their business and wish everyone received the same level of support and cooperation from them that I have over the past ten years.  As I stated earlier in other posts, if I did not live close to Zippers, I would have chosen a different tuner and used what ever tuning product they recommended. 

Many users, including me, can attest to the fact that the TMax AT has not proven to be plug 'n' play for many applications. I think that continued development will improve the AT aspect of the product, but doubt it will ever fully deliver a fire and forget system.  Having said that, I think that the basic TMax is one of the most powerful tuning devices available on the market today which is why I continue to use it.  Joe, who is tuning Hoist's bike is a very notable tuner who also recommends it.

I use the product because it works for me.  I use Zippers because my personal experiences with them have always been favorable. 

I agree with you that this forum should provide a friendly venue to share information and help solve mechanical and technical challenges rather than provoke personal attacks and accusations.  I attribute the latter to the human emotion aspect of the individuals involved rather than the product they are attacking or defending.

Regards,
John

Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2007, 03:13:52 AM »

Joe, who is tuning Hoist's bike is a very notable tuner who also recommends it.

Thanks again for the insights John.  Appreciated as always.  It would be an easier package to digest if there were more tuners scattered about the country who knew it and used it well.  Not having that available is certainly a handicap.

Howie and I were talking again this evening and the man doing his tuning was again part of the conversation.  Good words about the product (sans the autotune function) from an apparently superb tuner.

Most pleased that you and others are getting good service from the product and you like how it works.  I still admire what the capabilities seem to be.  Just didn't have any enough luck getting from second base to home.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2007, 08:05:19 AM »

I am leaving Wednesday for Sturgis and then on to Yellowstone.  It will be a great opportunity to see how the TMAT functions from sea level to 11K ft (Beartooth Pass).  At present motor still runs great, no issues at all with temps near 100 degrees and high humidity.  I will report out when I return on the 14th as well as share some pics of the trip!
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2007, 12:26:54 PM »

I am leaving Wednesday for Sturgis and then on to Yellowstone.  It will be a great opportunity to see how the TMAT functions from sea level to 11K ft (Beartooth Pass).  At present motor still runs great, no issues at all with temps near 100 degrees and high humidity.  I will report out when I return on the 14th as well as share some pics of the trip!

Pete,

Are you running the AT now?  Have a great trip.
-John
Hammer - CVO Member #641

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2007, 12:45:05 PM »

Will look forward to the hardware report and the pics Pete.  Have a great time!

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2007, 04:47:19 PM »

Pete,

Are you running the AT now?  Have a great trip.
-John

No I am not.  I'm very satisfied with open loop operation and I am curious how the bike will run at high altitude (as compared to local riding).  Right now I don't want to mess with a good thing.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2007, 10:38:46 AM »

I don't use either, but if you want Autotuning, talk to Steve at GMR about the new DTT. I hear it blows the TMAT away.! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2007, 11:00:44 AM »

What's the DTT???? 

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2007, 11:03:19 AM »

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2007, 11:49:20 AM »

I don't use either, but if you want Autotuning, talk to Steve at GMR about the new DTT. I hear it blows the TMAT away.! ;) Hoist! 8)

unless they totally redesigned the TCFI 2, it's the same as the Tmax, only difference is you have a seperate "autotune" module (WEGO IID) with the TCFI 2, very similar to the "old" style Tmax.

and DTT's software is not as nice as the Tmax......

not trying to offend anyone, It's just my opinion.......
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2007, 12:03:25 PM »

unless they totally redesigned the TCFI 2, it's the same as the Tmax, only difference is you have a seperate "autotune" module (WEGO IID) with the TCFI 2, very similar to the "old" style Tmax.

and DTT's software is not as nice as the Tmax......

not trying to offend anyone, It's just my opinion.......

DTT 3 ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2007, 11:24:10 PM »

John,

Don I know I am one of the die hard Zippers fans on the board. I also know I push the product hard. It has worked for me. Right now I guess I am very lucky that I choose not to add the AT to my bike when it was picked up. I have low numbers 126/126 for my build and I have never got the final tune. I have to tell you my bike runs great ALL OF THE TIME! No ping at all and I even dusted a big dog with a 117 on it and I had a passenger to boot just last weekend. Yes ole Punkin impressed a lot of people last weekend(even me).

I am sorry that any one has problems with Zippers since I was the one who brought them on the board. I know they can not please all of the people all of the time. And right now I am not even sure they are trying.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 24 queries.