Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: thundermax idle sticking on high  (Read 1639 times)

zippo2

thundermax idle sticking on high
« on: June 18, 2008, 01:48:47 AM »

Just got back from a 1500 + mile trip, bike ran great, thundermax autotune seems to be getting better mileage at each fillup.  Two days later fire up the bike, idles ruff and when I shift the throttle sticks on high, when running in 3rd gear, idle's high like I've got the cruise on.  What is goin on here.  It fills like it choking, caughin, sputtering at the stop light, having to keep stroking the idle to keep it running.  I did have to switch out a dead battery before I left on the last trip.  Where do I start? 
05 Screeming Eagle Elec. Glide
Redshift 575 g
50mm zippers tb
zippers a/c kit
Thundermax autotune
D D Fatcat 2 into 1
Cyclesmith 13.5 bars

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: thundermax idle sticking on high
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 02:34:26 AM »

Its been a while since I did a Thundermax but if I recall correctly you need to reset the TPS / IAC when you disconnect the battery. If I recall correctly it is done by turning the bike on, run switch on and letting it sit for a few seconds. This needs to be repeated a few times.

You may try to PM DCFireman, he is more familiar with the Tmax....

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:07:40 PM »

WARNING about the T-Max. I just pulled it out of my bike and am currently discussing some sort or refund from Zippers after the POS left me on the side of the road three times during my trip last week. It started to cause my bike to stall and lose power after the bike became hot. I have read about this problem with the T-Max units from other forum members so be careful. If Zippers comes through and refunds my money I will not have anything negative to say about them since they have been somewhat understanding about the situation I was put in. HOWEVER, if they fail to help me out and leave me high and dry I will post my full experience with their defective ECM with Autotune module on every motorcycle forum known to man.

Note: I was forced to have my wife overnight my stock ECM and race tuner to a local HD dealer where I had them remove the T-Max / Autotune module/ and O2 sensors with wiring and replace it with the stock ECM and O2 sensors. They also dyno tuned my bike and made me a custom map. The bike ran perfectly for the next 1200 miles during my trip and I will NEVER replace my stock ECM again from any manufacturer. When the dealer found out I was not running the stock ECM they advised me any warranty work would be denied. It also cost me $461.00 to have this done.  :soapbox:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:10:43 PM by copout221 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:16:22 PM »

WARNING about the T-Max. I just pulled it out of my bike and am currently discussing some sort or refund from Zippers after the POS left me on the side of the road three times during my trip last week.

How long ago was the purchase and how long ago was the installation?  If you were beyone their published refund period (30 days?) I'm surprised they even entertained a discussion with you.  Talking isn't their best thing.

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 11:59:29 PM »

I have had the system on my bike for around 18 months BUT with consistant problems that were never fully corrected relating to idle, flat spots, mapping, O2 sensor fitment, hard starts, etc. If they don't want to refund my $$ they should at least reimburse me for the cost to get my bike back up and running since I was out on the road and I did not have the capability to start any hotel parking lot repairs.

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 24 queries.