Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legend Air Install issue......  (Read 5188 times)

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
Legend Air Install issue......
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:30:53 AM »

So I purchased the Legend Air for the scoot......I have 5 days off and figured this would be a piece of cake.

I start going over the installation instructions and start "fitting" parts before I start the actual install just to see how things will line up.

I do not think the compressor will work.........I have an Oil temperature probe in the way. I am wondering if anyone ran into this problem and knows how to modify the probe/plug for a proper fit?

Here's a pic.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: Legend Air Install issue......
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:25:08 PM »

Why is it in the way? What goes under there?

2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:53:29 PM »

Why is it in the way? What goes under there?

The compressor.

Stock bikes don't have that oil temp sending unit, since they don't have an oil temperature gauge.  Ask Midnight Rider about the amount of clearance between the oil pan and the compressor; he's had a couple bikes with the Legends as best I can remember.  There has to be some clearance or you wouldn't be able to remove the oil drain plug. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:14:34 PM »

There is precious little room when the compressor is installed.  I 'might' be able to get an open end wrench on the drain plug with my Legend compressor installed.  But if I did get the drain plug out the oil would pour all over the compressor.  There are only two bolts holding the compressor in place and I have sufficient air/electrical line that I can just drop the compressor to the floor when I drain the engine oil. 

Don't have the oil temp gauge/sending unit on my bike but I can see where that would be an issue.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:33:57 PM »

Is that the only place the compressor from Legends can mount? I ask as I installed my Vai Air compressor forward of the battery under the seat. I've seen several mounted on the rails behind the saddlebag. On the hot rod Bagger sites they are mounting the compressors in the fairing.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:58:42 PM »

Puzzled would know...he's got every damn part you can add to one of these things and some most of us never heard of!
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:35:55 PM »

Puzzled would know...he's got every damn part you can add to one of these things and some most of us never heard of!

:2vrolijk_21:
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

twistedcherokee

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 01:16:05 AM »

I mounted my compressor under the battery. 

Toby
1999 Ultra Classic  95 CI, 2005 SG wheels, Fullsac TD

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 02:58:27 AM »

I will need to remove the Temperature probe for the compressor to fit into place, Dakota Digital sells an Air pressure gauge (which is now on order) so I will swap that out with the Oil Temp. gauge.

Now that all issues have been addressed I can proceed with the install.

Thanks
Dick
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,

JJAA

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE5 #629
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 01:46:09 PM »

... Dakota Digital sells an Air pressure gauge (which is now on order) so I will swap that out with the Oil Temp. gauge.

Interested :)
Legend has no more gauge.
Wich one have you ordered and how will you connect ?
Would appreciate pictures of the installation...

Thanks,
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:01:18 PM by JJAA »

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 06:56:47 PM »

Interested :)
Legend has no more gauge.
Wich one have you ordered and how will you connect ?
Would appreciate pictures of the installation...

Thanks,

Sorry the install has been completed.....I haven't received the Dakota gauge yet,next week I think they said. I'll have to go back in and tee off somewhere and feed the gauge. I'm not exactly sure but I'll figure it out.

For those that have Legend Air without a gauge- will the compressor only pump the shocks up to a certain pressure and stop? Can I damage the shocks by pumping too much air in them with the compressor that came with the system?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 08:51:47 PM »

Sorry the install has been completed.....I haven't received the Dakota gauge yet,next week I think they said. I'll have to go back in and tee off somewhere and feed the gauge. I'm not exactly sure but I'll figure it out.

For those that have Legend Air without a gauge- will the compressor only pump the shocks up to a certain pressure and stop? Can I damage the shocks by pumping too much air in them with the compressor that came with the system?

No - you cannot damage the Legend shocks by pumping to much air into them...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 03:15:49 AM »

No - you cannot damage the Legend shocks by pumping to much air into them...   :2vrolijk_21:

That's good news.....thank you sir.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »

No, you can't damage them with the compressor that comes with the system...but you can make it ride like crap by pumping them up too much.  I never had a gauge on either of the bikes I had the Legends on.  While it would be "nice" to have it just for a reference point, you soon discover the "sweet spot" for pressure amounts depending on load and road conditions.  The beauty of the Legends is their infinite adjustment on the fly.  I could tell where they were with regards to height by the angle of view over the windshield.

On the pre '09 frame, the compressor/solenoid assembly mounted underneath the battery box.  On the new frame it mounts between the frame members just behind the oil pan drain plug.  There's maybe 1/2" to play with.  You can get an open end wrench on the plug, but as Jerry (ultrafxr) mentioned, it makes a bit of a mess if you don't drop the compressor/solenoid assembly down.  There are just two socket head bolts to loosen in order to drop it and get it out of the way...just leave yourself a bit of slack in both the wiring and tubing and it's not a problem.

T'ing the gauge in won't be any problem...use one of the Y fittings like comes with the system and just tap in.  I'd probably do it underneath the seat and run the tubing beneath the tank and into the bottom of the fairing where the switch nacelle wires feed. 

Just make sure you get nice, clean, 90 degree cuts on the tubing using the cutting tool provided or a sharp utility knife, ensure no tubing will be next to hot things and that it is not subject to chaffing.  It's a nice system and actually rides a bit better with a load on it...the shocks like weight.  You'll soon figure out where they need to be under different situations.  Keep a few feet of extra tubing rolled up and stick it in the bottom of the lower fairing glove box or bottom of the saddlebag "just in case".  Not just any place carries the 5/32 tubing though I have been told that big trucks use the same size for some of their air lines.  But you won't find it at Autozone or such places.  The Harley tubing will work, but it's a "softer" tubing.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 05:37:11 PM »

No, you can't damage them with the compressor that comes with the system...but you can make it ride like crap by pumping them up too much.  I never had a gauge on either of the bikes I had the Legends on.  While it would be "nice" to have it just for a reference point, you soon discover the "sweet spot" for pressure amounts depending on load and road conditions.  The beauty of the Legends is their infinite adjustment on the fly.  I could tell where they were with regards to height by the angle of view over the windshield.

On the pre '09 frame, the compressor/solenoid assembly mounted underneath the battery box.  On the new frame it mounts between the frame members just behind the oil pan drain plug.  There's maybe 1/2" to play with.  You can get an open end wrench on the plug, but as Jerry (ultrafxr) mentioned, it makes a bit of a mess if you don't drop the compressor/solenoid assembly down.  There are just two socket head bolts to loosen in order to drop it and get it out of the way...just leave yourself a bit of slack in both the wiring and tubing and it's not a problem.

T'ing the gauge in won't be any problem...use one of the Y fittings like comes with the system and just tap in.  I'd probably do it underneath the seat and run the tubing beneath the tank and into the bottom of the fairing where the switch nacelle wires feed. 

Just make sure you get nice, clean, 90 degree cuts on the tubing using the cutting tool provided or a sharp utility knife, ensure no tubing will be next to hot things and that it is not subject to chaffing.  It's a nice system and actually rides a bit better with a load on it...the shocks like weight.  You'll soon figure out where they need to be under different situations.  Keep a few feet of extra tubing rolled up and stick it in the bottom of the lower fairing glove box or bottom of the saddlebag "just in case".  Not just any place carries the 5/32 tubing though I have been told that big trucks use the same size for some of their air lines.  But you won't find it at Autozone or such places.  The Harley tubing will work, but it's a "softer" tubing.

I was going to tee it exactly how you said...it just seemed the best place. I wouldn't get a gauge but its the only thing that makes sense to fill the void.
When I installed the tubing I put heat shrink on the area next to the "heat" and all the way up until it was inside and out of the way of any debris. That also made sense while doing the install. Do I think the heat shrink will prevent failure...No...but it may lesson the chances a bit.

Thayer did not provide me with enough tubing to do it the way I wanted, but I redid my bike a couple years ago so I just used the hose I installed and just used the tubing they provided to reach them. I also left the hose length in tack for now and I am also carrying my hand pump and Harley stock manifold. I'd hate to be riding 2 up and have a failure :)

Thanks

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 21 queries.