Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Hard starting 110  (Read 4464 times)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Hard starting 110
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2024, 06:35:21 AM »

Mine has been doing this for about 8 years. Only does it when hot. Have changed plugs many times, fuel caps many times, and like I said also the starter clutch. Very annoying. Will look into compression releases as it turns over and sounds normal, just won't start. Give it a minute (or 10) and it always fires back up. Will look into compensator I suppose.

Cheers

Paul

Paul,  this is a 2013 Road King? You check for codes?

describe your symptoms in detail please, cranks slow at first, cranks but doesn't fire, kickback
Wut the hell was that maneuver

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2013 CVO R/K
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2024, 10:41:04 AM »

Yes, 13 R/K. Zero symptoms really. Just when at operating temps, and say you stop for a dart or to get gas, you get all ready to go and go to start.....just turns over like it's going to start as normal, just doesn't. Turns over, no sounds that are diff, no stumbling or coughing, nothing, just turns over and doesn't start. Sometimes if you just keep cranking (taking a second before attempts of course) it will just go after a few attempts, sometimes, it starts as normal, but usually it likes a wee rest, then it's good to go. Nothing crazy done to bike, cams, pipe, tune, normal stuff, have changed rocker cover gaskets before, so while in there I changed the breather filters.

Weird I know, sadly I'm used to it

Paul
2013 CVO RoadKing

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2024, 02:34:38 PM »

Prolly something very simple such as a electrical connection corroded. If you haven't, try cleaning the throttle body connectors, pins and sockets, inspect the wiring good.

From there you can systematically go thru the electrical connections. Battery and grounds too.

Good luck

Wut the hell was that maneuver

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2024, 04:31:30 PM »

Thanks, I will try anything at this point. I have in the past pulled every fuse in the fuse box and put a little dielectric grease on every connector or fuse in there. Hoping in the near future to add a few cubic inches and a few things. Hopefully at one pint I catch this issue. It won't hold me back, but would be nice to shut it off at train crossings and things.

Paul
2013 CVO RoadKing

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2024, 07:44:45 PM »

Mine has been doing this for about 8 years. Only does it when hot. Have changed plugs many times, fuel caps many times, and like I said also the starter clutch. Very annoying. Will look into compression releases as it turns over and sounds normal, just won't start. Give it a minute (or 10) and it always fires back up. Will look into compensator I suppose.

Cheers

Paul

Once dealt with a bike behaving similarly whose owner had fired the parts cannon at it.  Everything except a coil and a crank position sensor.  For anything that doesn't throw a code and shuts off or doesn't start when hot my first shot from the parts cannon is a crank sensor.  It happened to fix this guy's bike.

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2024, 09:49:29 AM »

Good to know, thank you. Fortunately, I have been hesitant to just fire parts in, only the starter clutch (based on dealers suggestion), other parts were changed out due to wear or failure, and just didn't happen to change anything related to this matter. Once it miles out and I send it off for more HP's I may throw a sensor in for chits and giggles, see if it helps. Also will be going with a fan assisted oil cooler, see if running cooler helps or not.
Weather window is opening, may ride to work tomorrow  :bananarock:

Cheers
Paul
2013 CVO RoadKing
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.