Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Schaeffer oil  (Read 17202 times)

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

Re: Schaeffer oil
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »

You are correct Schaeffer is not a full synthetic oil like many others, however it does have a much better additive package that many do not have. As I've stated I use Mobile 1 and have never had any engine issues while using it and may very likely stay with it due to availability. I've known several who have used other oils including the motor company Syn 3 who wound up have an issue with the motor including running hot durning summer months. On my last two CVO Ultras neither has exhibited over heating issues even when I was running around in Vegas at 106F. 
I like the characteristics of what Schaeffer oil offers even over Mobile 1. What I don't like is the availability of it.
Not trying to start an oil war thread I was just interested to hear what others had to say about Schaeffer oil who are using it.
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

mark

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 04:41:32 PM »

I've talked to some who use it and one CVO owner I know who has had lifter problems while using Schaeffer while the others have had no engine issues.
I do agree about the availability and if you are on a road trip and need an oil change.

I've been using Mobile 1 and have had no issues. But keep hearing from many riders how good Schaeffer oil is and has been for them.

I feel confident that Shaeffer oil didn't cause your buddy's Harley lifter problem...Harley lifters caused the problem.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 04:59:15 PM »

I did not want to start a "my oil is better than your oil" thread.  I just stated what I do know and what I don't.  Sometimes these oil thread are almost funny reading what people claim.  I just know it has worked as well as Syn 3 for me and I hear good things from some people I trust.  From all I have read Mobil1, redline and a few others are also very good oils. 
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 06:13:28 PM »

Is it possible that this Schaeffer oil is better than Motorcote?  :nixweiss:

What is MotorKote?

is that something I should be using?

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 06:17:45 PM »

I feel confident that Shaeffer oil didn't cause your buddy's Harley lifter problem...Harley lifters caused the problem.

I've heard that Harley uses standard lifters in the CVO bikes. The SE lifters cost a bit more. I don't dought that it was not related to oil.  Anything mechanical can fail wether or not the best oil is being used. 
2014 CVO Ultra Limited

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 07:25:14 PM »

What is MotorKote?

is that something I should be using?

It is only known by it's name, Motorcote, and it is the Chuck Norris of all motor lubricational unfrictionators.

However, the oil at the link below is cheaper very affordable & is less than $6 per quart. Read the HD related comments.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19514351?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227015534687&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=42530746112&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=81187576472&veh=sem
Valvoline 20-50 Synthetic V-Twin Motorcycle Oil
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:36:55 PM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 07:30:37 PM »

Jerry

PS.  Iski, there is NOTHING better than Motorkote.  Just ask Twolane if you don't believe me.

I believe you Jerry.  Twolane knows stuff about stuff, too. There may be a secret internet rule about a new & improved oil thread requirement per week on gas/diesel engine related forums?
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2015, 08:35:12 AM »

Most of the premium blended quality oils out there will protect your engine just fine.  Some are loaded with different additives, some start with a better basestock, some start with a mediocre basestock and make up for it in additives, some just over do it and brag about it but it's still over kill.

I would choose based on environmental conditions (i.e. heat, cold, dusty) and service intervals.  I may have stated in another thread somewhere.  I own and operate a commercial oil analysis laboratory.  I personally use Mobil 1 in everything but the motorcycle.  The motorcycle gets Red Line.  That doesn't mean the the others are not good oils as long as you use them within the limits that the oil can protect your internal parts.

Here's a example of over using marketing hype.  Amsoil is an excellent well balanced oil and is one of the top full synthetics on the market.  I have seen more engine replacements in the automotive market due to using Amsoil.  Not because the oil is bad but the people that purchased it read on the internet or heard from the person selling it that they can run extended drains and even up to 3 x's longer.  The problem is that "most" consumers do not check their oil periodically.  They will be low on oil or out of oil and smoke their engine.  Not the oils fault.  Or they will run 30,000 miles on the same oil and not change the filter or assure the oil is still able to protect their components by having an oil analysis performed.  Just to be clear this is not me picking on any particular oil but using an example of how a great premium well known oil can come back to get you.  You still need to properly maintain your vehicle.

Back to the OP's question.  Schaeffers is good oil.
2015 CVO Limited

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »

I talked to a Schaeffer rep over the weekend. He said that Schaeffer oil is now approved by Harley.
He also said that Schaeffer had to pay Harley a bunch of money to get there stamp of approval. I suspect that holds true for the rest of them that have their approval as well. Makes you wonder.
2014 CVO Ultra Limited

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2015, 10:58:52 AM »

I talked to a Schaeffer rep over the weekend. He said that Schaeffer oil is now approved by Harley.
He also said that Schaeffer had to pay Harley a bunch of money to get there stamp of approval. I suspect that holds true for the rest of them that have their approval as well. Makes you wonder.

Shouldn't have to ask, but; what kind of "approval?"

Is the HD logo on their bottles?  HD has never been in the habit of "approving" third party products.  While they will shill anything for a buck the one area they've not done is third part product endorsements.  The only certification for oils doesn't come from Harley anyway.  Those are the "donut" and "starburst" marks from API and, while Harley has a standard they require as acceptable the standard itself is not theirs and was not their definition.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2015, 11:11:09 AM »

Have you ever seen anything directly from H-D corporate approving any brand of oil other than their own?  I'd love to see it if you have such a document.

The attachment is from their website store.  Not quite as full of BS as their old ads that implied H-D oils were the only ones approved for their bikes, but still trying to imply it.  They ignore the fact that both Mobil 1 V-Twin and Amsoil are also certified by their respective companies for all three holes, for instance, and claim SYN3 is the only oil with that capability.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2015, 01:02:39 PM »

I've heard that recently Motorcote has allowed HD owners to use their products.
Jesus is Lord

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2015, 02:28:19 PM »

I think Peanut oil is the best you can get, if only they made it in a synthetic. When you drain it out of your bike you can fry with it.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2015, 02:29:40 PM »

I think Peanut oil is the best you can get, if only they made it in a synthetic. When you drain it out of your bike you can fry with it.
Mike

Organic is even better than synthetic; and your emissions are edible  :2vrolijk_21: .

And, my gawd, if you dip them in Motorkote they are delicious  :drink: .

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2015, 02:33:05 PM »

Don, I use MotorKote to dip my french fries in after I cook em in Jiff peanut oil.  ::)
Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.