Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Motorcycle Trailers  (Read 3689 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Motorcycle Trailers
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 11:35:28 AM »

I totally agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion and this is a very costly situation if done improperly.  I've hauled several times with front wheel chocks and four straps.  I've also with this setup had the bike twist and tip to the side.  Not much damage but scared the bejesus out of me when we stopped to inspect the bikes.  So sometimes one chooses wisely and sometimes you choose poorly.  The only way I could keep my rear wheel solid was to screw 2"x4" down the sides of the rear tire to the floor.  I know, straps can do this too, but I was really leery of scratching my chrome wheels and didn't want to take my bags off to get access to the swingarm, kind of defeats the purpose I guess.

Not to just follow the rules (instructions that is), I can sometimes be a bit anal and go a bit overboard on things.  Case in point my two Biker Bars installed in my new to me toy hauler.

Please take the time to go over a thread I posted a few months ago about the install of my two Biker Bars.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=119501.15

I have a 1-1/8" one piece plywood floor in my toy hauler.  B&W says it's okay to use their under floor mounting plates and bolt it all in with just what my floor provides.  But I REALLY wanted to connect my sub-floor plates to something more substantial than just plywood, regardless of how thick it may be.  The thread link above shows how I added 1/4" angle to attach and sandwich my sub-floor plates to combine the toy hauler's main frame to the Biker Bar.  It was a LOT of work, but I KNOW I can haul without any issues and load and unload in no time at all.

Okay, that's my opinion and the Biker Bars are not cheap.  I got my two off Facebook Marketplace for $200/each.  That's just under half price and they were both in like new condition, as you can see in the linked thread above.  Once out, the two 5/8" holes get little plastic flush plugs and the carpet is none the wiser when laid back down.  No one would ever know what lays beneath.

Whatever one does for securing your bike, do it well and with care.  I've only hauled 20 miles or so for now, but I have no concerns with what I have installed.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

RoadGlide20

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

Re: Motorcycle Trailers
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 02:42:57 PM »

I went with a 7 x 14 and was perfect for 2 baggers.

JK

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.