Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Truck shopping  (Read 3065 times)

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
Truck shopping
« on: August 22, 2021, 08:39:25 PM »

I know it’s not the best time but might have to start truck shopping. I have a 2003 Tahoe that over the last year I have had the transfer case replaced and the transmission rebuilt, and all new brake lines installed. Now the replaced transfer case is leaking just like the last one. It is going to get replaced under warranty but not sure how much longer to keep it. It has 173,000 miles on it. We do have another truck  for now but wanna look at a 3/4 ton truck seeing has we would like to buy a toy hauler. The other truck is a 2012 Silverado 1500 with only 61,000 miles on it, it is in great shape for a 9 year old truck. Hasn’t seen a winter in over 5 years, it is kind of a garage queen.

Guess not sure if I should keep driving the Tahoe until truck prices start coming down or if I should sell the Tahoe and Silverado and look for a 3/4 ton. I am kinda thinking with all the parts replaced on the Tahoe it could be a selling point. On the other hand all the replaced parts on the Tahoe could be a reason to keep it. Decisions decisions  :confused5:

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Truck shopping
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 08:56:03 PM »

Great time to sell, terrible time to buy. Since you have another vehicle sell the Tahoe and wait for the vehicle market to crash (and it will).  All these car lots are getting rich now but give 12-18 months and they’ll be begging folks to buy!

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 09:24:55 PM »

i would not buy at this time unless it was a must do... wait till the market lines out, my 2cents  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 10:22:45 PM »

Sell now but wait to buy.
All the empty dealer lots are waiting for computer chips for the factory so they can complete new vehicles and then we will be flooded with new vehicles.
Factory will end up with deep discounts and probably low to zero interest to unload before the new model year rolls out.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 06:13:04 AM »

Sell now but wait to buy.
All the empty dealer lots are waiting for computer chips for the factory so they can complete new vehicles and then we will be flooded with new vehicles.
Factory will end up with deep discounts and probably low to zero interest to unload before the new model year rolls out.
Same thing I've been telling people for the last few months. Ford alone has well over 30k super duty trucks sitting at Kentucky speedway waiting on chips.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 07:49:22 AM »

Sold my 2017 F-150 Platinum 4x4 last month to dealer.  In February when I converted my Bronco reservation to an order it was other 30K.  I got 40,500 for it last month.

Last week got notice Ford is having a very hard time with the Hard top for the Bronco.  So the two door I have on order will now not be built until after December.  Got price protection from Ford, the 22 will cost the same as a 21 for us with orders.  I have an MSRP deal in writing from dealer
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

mark

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 10:21:15 AM »

I’d do everything I could to hold-off on buying a new truck right now.  It’s a seller’s market. 

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 12:48:28 PM »

The other issue with shopping right now is the availability of the truck you want as opposed to the truck you can get.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 08:02:16 PM »

Kathy brought up selling our Silverado right now and waiting. I would before that if I trusted the Tahoe. I am starting to think what is the next to go. Might end up keeping them both until spring and see what the market is like.

CaffeineBuzz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 12:13:56 PM »

depends....how shiny is the replacement you are considering?

things that shine have a way of getting me to open my wallet  :(

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 01:06:35 PM »

To put into perspective.....my Wife's Ram / Jeep dealership usually had 150 new vehicles.....currently about 20
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 01:21:39 PM »

Agreed truck inventories are limited.  We found this one about a year ago.  Checked quite a few dealers & had to travel a little but it was what we were looking for & we found it.  Used truck market is strong now & it was strong last year when we traded for this truck.  More fun to hunt for a truck than Easter eggs. It's worth checking around to see what's out there, you never know Kevin it might be your truck.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 01:44:07 PM »

Hi Kevin!

As some of you know, I purchased a new Ford F-350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L diesel 8' box about three months ago.  Fortunately for us, we bought at the right time.  We traded in a '12 RAM DRW 6.7L CC 8' box and got more than we paid for it two years prior.  They also discounted the new Ford around $6k off MSRP and dealt from that reduced price... WOW!

About toy haulers, many here have or have had toy haulers.  As you know, we have the '12 Keystone Raptor with a 12' garage.  It also has a half bath off the garage.  Ours has three slides, one bedroom with a East/West queen bed and two in the kitchen living area.  Toy haulers typically do not have the best layout in the living area for lots of seating and or table eating area.  We use the garage and the folding table for our main eating area.  There are some ultra light toy haulers, but most will be in the 14k# to 18k# gross weight.  So what you're looking at is a pin box weight of 23% of 14k# = 3,320# and with mine at 18k#, I'm looking at a pin box weight of 4,140#.

My '12 RAM DRW diesel only had a gross cargo weight of 4,300#, that's dry without fuel, driver/passenger, hitch @ approx 125#, whatever else you put in the box, bicycles etc along with "stuff" in the back seat for the drive.  I doubt that you will find many 3/4t that even come close to the lower limit at 3,320 pin weight.

Look at the yellow sticker inside the driver's door jam of any truck you look at for the gross cargo weight for THAT truck.  A Platinum, Limited or King Ranch will have less cargo capacity than a XL simply because of the added amenities in the truck at the higher levels.  Also be carful of the 1/2t towable from the saleman's mouth.  That would be a 2wd, 2dr, stripped truck with the heavy duty trailer package.  These are far and few between, but many people get sucked up in the, the salesman said I could pull it fine with my 4x4, CC, 1/2t truck.

I have a friend in MI that has a 1/2t, 4x4, CC, lifted Chevy and he pulls a toy hauler with a 14' garage.  He does have the light weight model of toy hauler, but still his gross pin weight is almost 1,100# OVER his cargo weight without him and his wife, hitch, fuel or anything else in the truck.  He says it pulls great and he can maintain speed or gain speed going up hills.  The problem will come that he will not be able to stop the RV or he loses it on a curve or something weird like that.  I could not convince him that he's WAY unsafe pulling his RV with his truck.  He said that he's looking at a 3/4t, but the one he looked at was still under his pin box weight.

The old saying is that you cannot have too much truck!  I thought I was good to go with my '12 RAM, but at 26,240# total with hauler and truck, I was 3k# over my gross towable limit.  Although I was under for axle weight and cargo weight, but just barely.  My new Ford has a 41,500# combined towing weight capacity and if I were to have a gooseneck with a backhoe on it at 31,500#, I would still be able to safely pull it.

My opinion would be for a good comfort factor, a 1t SRW that will give you some added growth if need later.  These new truck ride SOOOO much better than they used to, it's unreal.  Our F-350 rides almost like a car on good roads.  But it will bounce you on bumps etc.  Linda loves driving it more than our '16 Terrain Denali SUV.

You'll have to wait out the current crunch on limited number of trucks available, but IF you could sell now, now's the time to do it.

Also back three months ago, the dealer I bought from had two F-450's, one Limited one Platinum and two F-350's, my KR and a Lariat, both DRW diesels.  AND they discounted from the MSRP!

I cannot express how much we like the 1,050 #/ft torque @ 1,600 rpms and 475 hp @ 2,600 rpms.  Then add the new 10-speed automatic transmission and you have a dream truck to tow with.  I will give the other two major brands their due as I'm sure their new models perform really well too, but it was night/day over the '12 RAM that I thought was a massive hauler... :)

Check out https://www.laurafordofsullivan.com/ for their inventory, and yes, they do have trucks in stock that might be of interest.  But they're not Chevy's...:(

Good luck with your adventure for a new truck!  Tell Kathy we said hey.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 06:49:48 PM »

Agreed truck inventories are limited.  We found this one about a year ago.  Checked quite a few dealers & had to travel a little but it was what we were looking for & we found it.  Used truck market is strong now & it was strong last year when we traded for this truck.  More fun to hunt for a truck than Easter eggs. It's worth checking around to see what's out there, you never know Kevin it might be your truck.
I really want to change my grill and headlights to the setup you have. I have the Laramie and while the LED setup is nicer than the halogen, it just doesn't have that sleek look like yours.

sent using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 08:35:56 PM »

A properly equipped Chevy or GMC half ton with a 6.2 has a towing capacity of 12,200.  Unless you are going to to a lot a 3/4 ton may be way more than you need.  I'm not trying to talk anyone out of one just throwing out options.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 08:40:06 PM »

This is the toy hauler we are looking to get
https://www.rvuniverse.com/listing/for-sale/206616125/2021-forest-river-cherokee-grey-wolf-limited-26mbrr-travel-trailer-toy-haulers

I have been considering a 1 ton single wheel over the 3/4 ton. The 1 ton trucks around here are fully loaded and cost way more than I want to pay at this time. I don’t want leather and don’t necessarily need ALL the options they come with. As far as what brand I am open, Kathy will need more convincing to switch from a GM truck.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 11:17:54 PM »

New truck?  I bought a new truck a couple weeks ago!  Well, sort of.  It's almost a truck.  It at least has a bed.  Well, a little one.  I call it the UNTRUK.  :2vrolijk_21:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2021, 03:35:20 AM »

I really want to change my grill and headlights to the setup you have. I have the Laramie and while the LED setup is nicer than the halogen, it just doesn't have that sleek look like yours.

sent using Tapatalk

After we gave up on Ford (could not find what we wanted Sept. 2020 or even close) we started looking at Limiteds.  Liked the look of the Longhorn inside/outside better.  Not a lot of them around then but we managed to find one. Like that flag graphic on yours - a lot.

Headlights on this one are BI-Function LED Projector Headlamps.  Had to look that one up.  They work great & have an auto dimmer feature for the high beams that works great on the darker country roads.  Truck had so many "safety" warnings - beeps, buzzers, whatevevers that it took me 2 weeks to disable the ones I didn't want, which was most of them.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 08:20:23 AM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 07:07:23 AM »

A properly equipped Chevy or GMC half ton with a 6.2 has a towing capacity of 12,200.  Unless you are going to to a lot a 3/4 ton may be way more than you need.  I'm not trying to talk anyone out of one just throwing out options.

I have towed a 11,800 pound RV for 10 years.  Towed it with a 1 ton crew cab dually.  Sold the RV about 10 years ago.

The F-150 I sold a month ago, was rated to tow 11,500.  Not a chance in the world I would have considered towing even 10K with it, maybe 8K at the maximum.

Dealer where I bought my 17 usually had 70 to 90 trucks on his lot, had four this past Monday
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 09:23:28 AM »

I absolutely HATE buying from any kind of dealer or car lot and try to avoid them at all costs.  Honestly, I’d rather spend the night in the county jail than spend a day at a car lot.  But my daughter turns 16 in a few months so I set out looking for her a car, ended up buying her an Acura ILX from an Acura Carland in Atlanta.  Price was better than anything I could find locally but I’m not foolish enough to ever believe I got the better end of the deal.  Anyhow, it took them 67 days to send the paperwork to my county in Alabama which was well beyond the expiration of the temporary tag.  Lesson learned

I’m just so thankful that the rest of this country is not ran like car dealerships.  Can you imagine haggling with the cashier over every item in your buggy at the grocery store? The guy in front of you gets a gallon of milk for $5, you paid $4 and the guy behind you pays $6. Seriously, there has to be a better way.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 04:14:19 PM »

I've had them all, was even a Ford dealer, and sold them all over the years. I have to say my Ram Limited is the best one I've ever owned.
John

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2021, 09:22:41 PM »

This is the toy hauler we are looking to get
https://www.rvuniverse.com/listing/for-sale/206616125/2021-forest-river-cherokee-grey-wolf-limited-26mbrr-travel-trailer-toy-haulers

I have been considering a 1 ton single wheel over the 3/4 ton. The 1 ton trucks around here are fully loaded and cost way more than I want to pay at this time. I don’t want leather and don’t necessarily need ALL the options they come with. As far as what brand I am open, Kathy will need more convincing to switch from a GM truck.

Kevin, nice trailer!

That has a spec GVWR of just under 8k#.  You should be good with a 3/4t on that trailer.

You're right, lots of the larger trucks are coming through as fully loaded and that does raise the cost quite a bit.  Keep looking and you'll find what you're looking for.  You're not in a rush at the moment and things can only get better from an inventory standpoint.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.