Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: 17 Shady Reasons Why Harley-Davidson Motorcycles Are Struggling  (Read 13919 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: 17 Shady Reasons Why Harley-Davidson Motorcycles Are Struggling
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2022, 09:19:51 AM »

What BMW is doing

https://apple.news/AbA2wOiXMR7a1txwcFCda5A

Added a youtube link     

All that for $32k out the door. “Yeah, but it’s not a Harley”,.........for $50k and old technology.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2022, 01:16:00 PM »

This exemplifies the standards that Harley sets for itself. Received today:

Dear Greg,
You have some great H.O.G. items on the way! Your Renewal Full Package - No Card just shipped to the following address 10291 N MARIEL LN, LOS ANGELES, California, 90077-3501, USA.

You will receive it by February 5, 2022.

Thanks and Ride Safe.
Harley-Davidson, 3700 W. Juneau Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53208

Only Harley could take a month to mail something like this.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2022, 02:32:06 PM »

This exemplifies the standards that Harley sets for itself. Received today:

Dear Greg,
You have some great H.O.G. items on the way! Your Renewal Full Package - No Card just shipped to the following address 10291 N MARIEL LN, LOS ANGELES, California, 90077-3501, USA.

You will receive it by February 5, 2022.

Thanks and Ride Safe.
Harley-Davidson, 3700 W. Juneau Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53208

Only Harley could take a month to mail something like this.

Got the same HOG email, different delivery date but still a month out. Over the past few years have received an incomplete mailing from HD a few times.  A call to customer service & about a month later the missing item(s) arrive.  Self touting their inefficiency is one way to look at it.  Considering the benefits reductions over the past few years doubt I would have signed up for the Life deal.  Seemed like a good deal at the time, now not so much.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2022, 08:38:00 PM »

Simple solution.  Buy a Beamer and quit bitchin.  Some of you guys spend a ton of money on a bike after having several others of the same make and continue to make the same complaints, then spend thousands on said bike you aren't happy with.  What the hell.  Change brands.  I understand you have every right to voice your opinion but why do you keep spending money on what you feel is an inferior product?  There is an ass for every seat, maybe you need to find a new seat.  Flame on.   :sauer005:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 08:52:23 PM by Finster101 »

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2022, 10:15:38 PM »

Change brands.  I understand you have every right to voice your opinion but why do you keep spending money on what you feel is an inferior product?

Yup, gotta agree. 
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2022, 11:37:10 PM »

When I joined this forum, a casual read indicated it was not some "Rah rah sis boom bah YAY!" Harley place.  It was & remains a great place to get answers for problems & issues that as owners we do not always get from the MoCo, as well as fixes for these issues & problems.  That process often involves bitching, such is life on internet forums forever, from my experience. 

If I wish to read glowing reports of how great everything Harley is, all I have to do is go to their website or read their marketing information.  If I wish to read about Harley in the 2022 MC world, I read here & a couple of other places.  HD lagging behind the market is the subject of this thread.  There are thousands of other threads that can be read here that have a different subject matter. If some HD fan boys can't take the heat, best they read elsewhere is my opinion.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

LV76

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO3: 16 FLTRUSE
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2022, 04:48:43 AM »

When I joined this forum, a casual read indicated it was not some "Rah rah sis boom bah YAY!" Harley place.  It was & remains a great place to get answers for problems & issues that as owners we do not always get from the MoCo, as well as fixes for these issues & problems.  That process often involves bitching, such is life on internet forums forever, from my experience. 

If I wish to read glowing reports of how great everything Harley is, all I have to do is go to their website or read their marketing information.  If I wish to read about Harley in the 2022 MC world, I read here & a couple of other places.  HD lagging behind the market is the subject of this thread.  There are thousands of other threads that can be read here that have a different subject matter. If some HD fan boys can't take the heat, best they read elsewhere is my opinion.

I could not express my thoughts about this forum any better, well said!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2022, 06:49:44 AM »

Not a Fan of the BMW.  It's suspension is better then the Ultra, more travel front and rear, and automatic sag adjustment on the rear. 

I was hoping Harley would update the touring frame, sigh....maybe next year.

I got the e-mail saying my life member Hog Stuff would arrive by February in Late December.  Got the stuff between Christmas and New Years.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2022, 07:09:05 AM »

Simple solution.  Buy a Beamer and quit bitchin.  Some of you guys spend a ton of money on a bike after having several others of the same make and continue to make the same complaints, then spend thousands on said bike you aren't happy with.  What the hell.  Change brands.  I understand you have every right to voice your opinion but why do you keep spending money on what you feel is an inferior product?  There is an ass for every seat, maybe you need to find a new seat.  Flame on.   :sauer005:

I may just buy a BMW, quit bitcin, I don't think so. My last new HD I bought is a 2009 FLTRSE3, I still ride that today. The 2022 HD has the same frame , different front end by some degree, I think that’s the major thing in need of change, comparing other brands is part of it. Motorcycle enthusiasts is a passionate bunch, I use to be a loyal customer, loyalty should be a two way street. The comparison in products show that technology can be had at a better pricepoint than HD offerings right now, HD customers has given them a pass for years just so they could promote you can buy a lifestyle. Obviously it worked for years.

While I may not be the richest man here I could ride anything HD has got in their line, I choose what I have because I am a DIY’er and not by choice, a whole other story. How bout you mount up on whatever you ride and come to a GTG in MV, I’ll buy ya a beer and we’ll share the road for a while.

RideOn
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:11:37 AM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2022, 01:19:01 PM »

I may just buy a BMW, quit bitcin, I don't think so. My last new HD I bought is a 2009 FLTRSE3, I still ride that today. The 2022 HD has the same frame , different front end by some degree, I think that’s the major thing in need of change, comparing other brands is part of it. Motorcycle enthusiasts is a passionate bunch, I use to be a loyal customer, loyalty should be a two way street. The comparison in products show that technology can be had at a better pricepoint than HD offerings right now, HD customers has given them a pass for years just so they could promote you can buy a lifestyle. Obviously it worked for years.

While I may not be the richest man here I could ride anything HD has got in their line, I choose what I have because I am a DIY’er and not by choice, a whole other story. How bout you mount up on whatever you ride and come to a GTG in MV, I’ll buy ya a beer and we’ll share the road for a while.

RideOn

I just might do that since in 21 I officially became an old retired guy.  I'm on an 08.  You kind of prove my point in a way.  Why should we buy a new bike at the price they are to basically get a better stereo.  My bike has been to AK and back to Laconia a couple of times to northeast GA where a buddy has a house and most recently to Mid-Ohio sports car track for vintage Honda days all from Ft. Myers Florida.  It is not a CVO and it has never been on a trailer.  My point is why buy a new one if you feel all you are going to be doing is fixing it ? 

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2022, 02:20:53 PM »

The comparison in products show that technology can be had at a better price point than HD offerings right now, HD customers has given them a pass for years just so they could promote you can buy a lifestyle. Obviously it worked for years.

Well as soon as us "Old Timers" pass on, HD might find itself with products no one wants to buy for what their asking.  I do think the water cooled Pan America and Live Wire electric bikes are the future of the MoCo, they just need to find a new batch of people eager to give their money for a "life style".

You would think that a company whose target buyers have replaced hips, knees, shoulders and have arthritis and more would figure out a way to add reverse to a 900 pound motorcycle.  BMW did, Honda did, why can't Harley-Davidson?

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2022, 07:02:55 AM »

Well as soon as us "Old Timers" pass on, HD might find itself with products no one wants to buy for what their asking.  I do think the water cooled Pan America and Live Wire electric bikes are the future of the MoCo, they just need to find a new batch of people eager to give their money for a "life style".

You would think that a company whose target buyers have replaced hips, knees, shoulders and have arthritis and more would figure out a way to add reverse to a 900 pound motorcycle.  BMW did, Honda did, why can't Harley-Davidson?

The Revolution Max is a very good motor.  I do believe it will be part of the future of Harley Davidson.  It will be used in more than just the Pan America and Sportster S.  Hopefully sooner rather than later.  I was disappointed to seen none of the new technology from those bikes carried over into the 2022's.  I would have hoped the Sportster TTF display would have carried over to the softail.  Some of the ride mode should have carried also. 

Harley didn't even do the simple things, like heated grips on all the Specials or heated gear plugs.  Those are standard on the Sportster S and Pan America S, for 10K less money.  I can make and receive phone calls on my Pan America S with out buying a 400 dollar WHIM. 

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2022, 07:19:37 AM »

Indian moving forward.

Wut the hell was that maneuver

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2022, 12:28:22 PM »

Indian moving forward.

Yet it still has the karaoke machine inner fairing, cheap fit and finish and the rubber seals for the bags are glued into channels in the lid of the bags. Those are prone to deforming with heat and cold so they'll eventually fall out of their channels. Their high end one starts at $33k and goes up from there.

sent using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2022, 12:47:02 PM »

Yet it still has the karaoke machine inner fairing, cheap fit and finish and the rubber seals for the bags are glued into channels in the lid of the bags. Those are prone to deforming with heat and cold so they'll eventually fall out of their channels.

So true on all accounts.  I guess each of us gets to pick their own poison. When stuck on the road in the middle of a tour, I'd rather the issue be saddlebags leaking from dried up seals than a locked up engine due to sumping.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 22 queries.