Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bike Trailer  (Read 3906 times)

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
Bike Trailer
« on: January 20, 2005, 10:35:23 PM »

I'm looking at buying an enclosed 2 bike trailer and came accross this site. I was wondering if anyone has tried this product or knows of anyone who has. I don't know much about trailers, never had one before. I intend to use it to get past the snow belt in the winter and take a couple of bikes to some summer shows.

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Darrell

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Bike Trailer
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 01:20:31 AM »

Darrel, I've got one of the Excaliburs that are mentioned in this company's web information.  Have had it for several years now.  Since well before these heavier two place units were available.

I've not had any trouble with water migration around the lid.  Never a bit.  But the side walls aren't terribly heavy.  That's both a good thing and a bad thing I suppose.  The whole trailer is very light to pull.  Even a V6 pickup does it without a problem.  But I suppose it would be more susceptible to damage if it ever got close.

I noticed on the Iron Horse website for the trailers you are looking at that they are now offering a alternative model with a lid that does raise.  Unless the headroom on the units that don't is just tremendous I can't emphasize how nice that has been on mine.  With the lid raised there is headroom for Shaquille O'Neal.

The general aero packages are similar so it would seem a safe bet they'll pull similarly.  If so you'll rarely know the trailer is behind you.  I've had mine in high winds across the plains and pulled it over the mountains.  It never wanders or bucks at all.  In fact it's better with a big bike in it as it's really a bit light when it's empty.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 09:48:27 AM »

Darrel.....looked at one of the Excaliburs at Biketoberfest last fall.  Nice little trailer, but a pretty tall price for what you really get.  I was tempted because of the styling and obvious ease of pulling, but ended up going with a Pace American Legend done up with the HD graphics.  Very strong unit, pulls exceptionally well and has room to build in the workbench and storage closets that my compulsive behavior dictates.  Let me know if you need any model numbers for comparison.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 11:53:38 AM »

BLM, just curious but what were the Excaliburs selling for now?  When I got mine a long time ago it was $1565.00 with a spare tire.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 01:25:08 PM »

Darrell, I also looked into the Excaliburs, they are now located in Winchester Ky. Price varies (as does everything) but about $4000 for a single bike (dresser type, two small bikes would fit).
I bought a Pace Legacy Gold and am very happy with it. I ordered it and picked it up at the Ga plant. Has finished interior walls and ceiling and I installed Mannington Flooring with Polished alum tread runners and a Bike Chok. Tows great behind wives Envoy, no leaks and everybody raves over screwless sides and lack of Camlok doors.
I can get you a deal on one, have family member who is dealer, if you are willing to pick up at factory (they have several pickup points, check out web).

Hogzilla

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 01:36:31 PM »

I can get you a deal on one, have family member who is dealer, if you are willing to pick up at factory (they have several pickup points, check out web).

I have been looking at the Legacy and it's a really nice trailer for bikes.  I had a Pace American Shadow GT for cars and it was top notch.  I have been looking all over for a deal on Pace, but can't find any dealers that discount.  What kind of savings are we talking DW6019?  I would be interested.

Thanks

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 05:48:19 PM »

BLM, just curious but what were the Excaliburs selling for now?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 10:25:39 PM »

2lane.....about 6 mos ago, I was quoted $4950 from the factory for a two holer.

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 10:15:14 AM »

Thanks guys for the feedback, you have given me some more options to look at. Twolanerider, BLM777, I had no idea that the excalibur was still being made. I did a search & found the web site. If I read it right Ironhorse are somewhat misleading as they are implying the excalibur is no longer made. I really like the concept of these two trailer types but will need to do a comparison between them and then price them with all the options. Both of them look as though they would be easier to tow behind my Lexas SUV which has a max tow limitation of 3500 Ibs.

I haven't tried to find a used one yet, but judging from the prices that you guys were quoted, compared to what Twolanerider paid for his, it may be the way to go if I want this kind of trailer. Otherwise I may have to take you up on your offer DW6019.

Thanks again for the feedback. I will let you know how the two compare.
Darrell

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 10:32:35 AM »

Sorry for the slow response, we went out of town. If anyone is interested in a Pace Trailer, Legacy, Journey w/bike package or whatever. Just go to there web page and decide on model/options etc and let me know what you want. Give me your city and I will get you a discount price at the closest factory to you. Remember this has to be factory pickup and during normal business hours during the week. Not on a weekend.

Hogzilla

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 11:12:58 AM »

Sorry for the slow response, we went out of town. If anyone is interested in a Pace Trailer, Legacy, Journey w/bike package or whatever. Just go to there web page and decide on model/options etc and let me know what you want. Give me your city and I will get you a discount price at the closest factory to you. Remember this has to be factory pickup and during normal business hours during the week. Not on a weekend.

Thanks DW, I will do that.

Hogzilla

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2005, 08:35:40 AM »

Hey DW, I PM'ed yyou.  I am ready to buy a Pace, but is it too late to order and still get it before bike week?

Thanks

email me:rspading@netins.net

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.