Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ultrus Interruptus  (Read 2492 times)

HarleySoftailer

Ultrus Interruptus
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:09:18 PM »

Well - it looks like there won't be a new CVO in my garage until next year at the earliest...

Last Monday I was on my way back from my dealer when a truck decided that he didn't really need to stop at that stop sign and he didn't really need to see if there was any oncoming traffic.  He cut me off and I went down hard.  To his credit, he stopped, made sure I was still alive and stuck around until the highway patrol showed up (and ticketed him for failure to yield).  The Rider's Edge class saved my life, the front and rear engine guards saved my engine and if I'd had ABS, I could have saved my bike.  Bottom line...  $15,000 in damage that'll take about 4 months to fix.

The good news (aside from the fact that I didn't get killed) is that the bike is going to be even better than it was before the accident now that the Insurance company is covering the cost of the complete disassembly, the new frame and the reassembly.

But the CVO will have to wait until I've got my Knuckle back on the road.  I'll keep y'all posted.

Harley.
If I can't ride it, eat it, scratch it or change its channel, then I don't need it.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: Ultrus Interruptus
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 01:11:32 PM »

Hey Soft tailer, glad to hear you're OK.  Were you hurt?  How did the class help you?  What'd you do that you learned in the class?
Jim :cherry:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

HarleySoftailer

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 01:24:19 PM »

Jim - the handlebars jammed my left rib cage, the left foot board jammed my knee and I've got road rash all over my left arm.  I'm sore as hell, but I didn't have any facial, chest or major organ damage of any kind.

What the Rider's Edge taught me were the two things that saved my sorry butt..

(1) How to control a bike in a skid.  I grabbed all the brakes I had and locked both the front and rear tires.  But I still was able to push left and miss hitting the truck.

(2) How to eject a bike.  Once I missed the truck, I was able to eject my body off the bike by kicking it out from under me as I went down.  The bike went down to the right and I went down to the left.  If I'd gone down high-side, I would have been even worse off than I was.  I my body rolled and skidded 85 yards (according to the Highway Patrol), but the bike did not come down on top of me and I avoided all the burns and breaks that would have occured had that happened.

Harley.
If I can't ride it, eat it, scratch it or change its channel, then I don't need it.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 02:00:26 PM »

Glad to hear your okay. Bikes can be fixed , sometimes people can"t thou.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 02:31:24 PM »

Glad to hear you came out of it with only minor sraps and bangs.

I dumped mine nearly two months ago and most everything is functioning normally now.  Speedy recovery to you. :2vrolijk_21:

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 02:37:50 PM »

"But the CVO will have to wait until I've got my Knuckle back on the road."

Sorry if I misunderstood, but was your accident on a Knucklehead? 
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 02:54:16 PM »

Sounds like this incident has had little effect on your positive attitude. That's great.
We look forward to your speedy recovery and our knuck's recovery.

kona76
Mike K.
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

HarleySoftailer

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 03:18:58 PM »

Pan - Yes.  I took a 2007 Deluxe and turned it into a '47 Knucklehead.  Now I'm going to turn it into a '36 Knuck.  Once the insurance company steps up, I'll be able to do the customizations that didn't get done the first time.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 03:41:30 PM »

Harley,

Sorry to hear about the crash.  Glad you were not seriously hurt and are recuperating well.
Good luck on the bike (re)build.

Rebel

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 11:01:47 AM »

I'm glad you took the class -- and you're a survivor rather than a victim for it!  Great job!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 12:17:52 PM »

Sorry to hear about the wreck..  >:(
The bike will never remember a thing and at least you ain't in jail fer manslaughter.

Miker

HarleySoftailer

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 12:29:34 PM »

The best news is that I'm alive and will be a better biker because of all this.  The second best news is that my bike is going to be even better than it was before the wreck.  I can't wait to see how this thing turns out.

Thanks Miker.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 05:19:46 PM »

I am glad that you are ok....the bike can be fixed and the other one can wait....

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 22 queries.