Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warranty - Is it selective?  (Read 2414 times)

mfgreen

Warranty - Is it selective?
« on: September 12, 2004, 01:38:17 AM »

A commonality to many threads on this site indicates that the warranty on the CVO bikes is selective.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 06:39:02 AM by mfgreen »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Warranty - Is it selective?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 08:26:17 AM »

i most be one of the lucky ones, i had a minor cosmetic chrome issues on my tank panel, it was so minor that you had to look at it at just the right angle to see it and my dealer replaced it on warrenty, that has been my only problem to date
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 09:04:49 AM »

Have had good luck at the purchasing dealer but on the road it has been a real crapshoot.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 11:26:15 AM »

To begin with, the warranty isn't selective, it's the dealerships interpretation of the warranty that is selective.

It seems to me that the west coast dealerships are much more fair about it, right out of the whole.  It just doesn't seem to be an issue with us near as much, out here.

The Magnusen Moss Warranty act spells it out that if they're denying the warranty due to modifications, that the modifications have to be a direct result of the failure.

If it's due to cosmetic issues such as chrome related......many of the dealerships have already honored the warranty and stood behind the product.  I think if it came to legal action that the precedent has already been set by various other dealerships and backed by the Motor Company and that an individual dealership would be forced to honor it, at that point.

Let me conclude by adding this, my opnion and experience, that if you think Harley Davidson has a bad warranty policy then don't buy a Ford!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mfgreen

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 03:54:39 PM »

To begin with, the warranty isn't selective, it's the dealerships interpretation of the warranty that is selective.

It seems to me that the west coast dealerships are much more fair about it, right out of the whole.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 01:59:26 PM »

Goldiron I totally agree with you and that's the shame of the warranty "process".
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 02:02:21 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mfgreen

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 09:35:43 AM »

Goldiron I totally agree with you and that's the shame of the warranty "process".
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 06:53:04 PM by mfgreen »

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 08:22:24 AM »

[bgcolor=Gray]A commonality to many threads on this site indicates that the warranty on the CVO bikes is selective.  

Does this mean that you may or may not get the reapirs accomplished at the Motor Company's expense?  

Many of the owner's on this site have purchased additional coverage to extend their respective warranty.  [/bgcolor][/bgcolor]

I've only had two H-Ds so far & at the time of sale, my salesman always asks if I want to buy the extended warranty & the sales mgr comments "oh yeah, he's probably gonna pass on the extended warranty just like his cousin"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 08:24:38 AM by yellowsedeuce »

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 08:35:39 AM »

[bgcolor=Gray]

Let me conclude by adding this, my opnion and experience, that if you think Harley Davidson has a bad warranty policy then don't buy a Ford!
[/bgcolor]

JC, I've never had a Ford yet but, have had great luck with warranty issues on my Chevy Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado & GMC 4x4.  Once on my '00 Silverado the Ring gear in the Dif wore out (I think due to my heavy foot), It just took a couple of extra days to have the regional warranty guy come to take pictures & authorize the repair even though I thought after he saw the lowered suspension, headers, modified intake/exhaust, remapped EFI he would say "no way". I always buy the extended warranty on my american made cars.....& somehow I always have to use them....Hmmm.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 05:27:26 PM »

Like y'all I've heard the horror stories and I can only imagine the pain of the fight. Maybe I'm lucky but my dealer, Century H. D. in Medina, has always been first rate w/ my work, warranty or otherwise. They've discovered things, easily missed by my untrained eye, and corrected them w/ no fuss. So far, so good - knock on wood.

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 05:33:57 PM »

Again I must be one of the lucky ones.

Harley Davidson of Charlotte has bent over backwards to take care of any warranty work. And NO, it's not because I paid retail for everything and buy a lot. I paid less than MSRP for the SEEG. They seem to have the same attitude of good service with everyone. From the dressers to the Buell's to the SE I could not ask for any better service.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2005, 08:10:59 PM »

I agree with most who have responded to this post in that it is almost entirely up to the Dealer you are dealing with as to what kind of satisfaction you will receive.  My experience with the Dealer in Goldsboro, NC (Shelton's HD) has been nothing but great.  They will go to bat for the customer w/ the MOCO if necessary to make something "right".  That's all someone can expect and what all of us desire, I think.
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 22 queries.