Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Accident Pictures/Discussion  (Read 6653 times)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
Accident Pictures/Discussion
« on: March 21, 2004, 10:52:56 PM »

I gave some thought as to why I started posting pics of accidents (hopeful that it wasn't just a morbid fascination). From the perspective of a new rider, and also part of my personal philosophy, I believe in learning from others mistakes and misfortunes if at all possible. Certainly, some situations are just wrong place wrong time no matter what you're driving. However, there might be things one can do to minimize risks. Many on this site appear to be very seasoned riders with many miles under their belts. If one rider gets one tip here that helps avoid a problem on the road it will be well worth the effort of posting.

For instance, the pic below is an example of the most prominent type of accident for newbies--the first group ride.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 12:03:10 PM by psychodeuce »

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
Re: Accident Picture From the Zone
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 01:54:37 AM »

You know, after hearing about Skulls experience and looking at this picture, it appears that engine guards, front and rear, might not be a bad idea--specifically to protect the legs in case of a lay-down/fall-down--to keep the bike off the legs. I know it won't guarrantee prevention of leg injury, but at least the whole weight of the bike won't come slaming down on your leg!  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] I'm gonna check into the Linbars for my bike. I'm not sure they will fit. With their hours only open till 2:30 with no e-mail, seems they do everything to not get new business!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 01:57:12 AM by psychodeuce »

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 11:42:42 PM »

Guess this kids was sitting at a light and a 16 year old girl rear ended him going 40. He flew 50 ft or so on to hood of car ahead of him. In hospital broken up a bit. I certainly feel vulnerable at times at stop lights. There have been a few occasions in which I was not comfortable that trafic behind me was gonna stop as I stopped to make a left turn across oncoming traffic--so I continued on to make a safer turn. It wasn't the first or second car immediately behind me I was concerned with--but the fourth or fifth car doing their hair while talking on their cell phone, or just day-dreaming I was concerned with. So, I'm not sure what you can do in a situation such as this at a stop light.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 12:01:16 PM by psychodeuce »

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 11:43:35 PM »

Here is the link to where these sport bikers hang out and the thread discussing the accident.
http://www.eccentricksportbikes.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=233
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 12:01:08 PM by psychodeuce »

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
Re: Accident Pictures/Discussion
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 11:10:52 AM »

Talking with a collegue about this one suggests that if you are going to play -- know the limits of the bike, know you own skill level, and be able to handle the consequences. Looks like this individual may not have known the former (bike limits) and who knows about the latter (how did it end as he hit the pavement). Pic appears to be from a bike mounted video cam. Looks like a high side flip self induced from individual play or two bikes weaving from side to side and rear bike hit the bike in front? The shadow looks like one bike but there does appear to be three wheels in sight?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 11:35:32 AM by psychodeuce »

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 10:42:56 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, the video of the above picture is on this video. I like the music.

http://www.henry.martinez.net/videos/2ndplace.htm

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 10:37:09 PM »

Bottom Line:  Be Careful!

[smiley=elf.gif]

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 11:50:04 AM »

Guess this kids was sitting at a light and a 16 year old girl rear ended him going 40. He flew 50 ft or so on to hood of car ahead of him. In hospital broken up a bit. I certainly feel vulnerable at times at stop lights. There have been a few occasions in which I was not comfortable that trafic behind me was gonna stop as I stopped to make a left turn across oncoming traffic--so I continued on to make a safer turn. It wasn't the first or second car immediately behind me I was concerned with--but the fourth or fifth car doing their hair while talking on their cell phone, or just day-dreaming I was concerned with. So, I'm not sure what you can do in a situation such as this at a stop light.

I didn

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
  • Head out on the highway, lookin for adventure.....
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 05:12:28 PM »

Actually I think the photos are a good idea.  I am interested in adding to this area or developing another one with the intent of getting states, all states and not just Kansas to change what material they throw on the road.  
I for one have slid with a four wheel drive truck on sand left at intersections after the snow and ice are gone.  For this reason even though I could ride late in the winter and early in the spring here in Kansas the bike stays in the garage.  We all pay a lot of taxes for roads and road maintenance. We pay more taxes on the fuel we burn.  Here in Kansas as in other states we pay personal property tax every year ($350 last year alone for an FLHRSEI2 and estimate $300 for 2005).  Yet we do not get what we want and need for our hard earned dollars.  We do not even get to depreciate our vehicles when the window gets knocked out by gravel mixed in with the sand because that sand was dredged from the river to save money.  Excuse me!  Did I as a tax payer say I wanted to pay to have my window knocked out or my bike pelted with rocks or slide through corners and intersections?  Why am I or any of us paying for our city, county and state governments to literally endanger our lives and the lives of those we care about?  How many of the accidents you hear about are the result of substandard street and highway maintenance?  You will never see the sand, gravel and general road debris on roads in Germany as you do ours.  And you can
dkm

wiseguy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 07:04:14 PM »

holy dang that looks like it hurts!

It's Not A Party Unless Someone Gets Knocked Down, Knocked Out, Or Knocked Up.

sailordb

• Ride hard-live free
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 12:21:22 PM »

I am a newbie here but have some experience in this area. I have been riding since 1957 and have had my share of road rash.

To be specific, in this thread I saw the mention of 'roll bars' -some call them engine guards. In '92 my wife and I were at a stop sign when a drunk guy came off the road and tagged us real good. The left roll bar deflected the van, or move the bike back, just enough that the sliders took the full impact, scattering them both taking the front end off the bike. The roll bar was stright back and about an inch off the side case. The steel mount was broken like it was peanut butter. (Took 11 stiches to close my leg and three in my elbow.) The bike ended up 44 feet from the impaact site. I called Harley the next morning and asked how fast he had to be going, given the weight of a Dodge van. First they told me how lucky I was to be alive -which I for sure understood- and then said he had to be doing 52+ MPH.

Do I beleive in roll bars? Yes I do.

In fact, we rebuilt that bike (yes the frame was strightened) and I am now going through it again. I have seven gallons tanks going on and had to find a extra wide roll bar.

Roll bars, don't leave home without them.
If you ain't having fun you're in the wrong place.

mfgreen

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 12:24:32 PM »

I am a newbie here but have some experience in this area. I have been riding since 1957 and have had my share of road rash.

To be specific, in this thread I saw the mention of 'roll bars' -some call them engine guards. In '92 my wife and I were at a stop sign when a drunk guy came off the road and tagged us real good. The left roll bar deflected the van, or move the bike back, just enough that the sliders took the full impact, scattering them both taking the front end off the bike. The roll bar was stright back and about an inch off the side case. The steel mount was broken like it was peanut butter. (Took 11 stiches to close my leg and three in my elbow.) The bike ended up 44 feet from the impaact site. I called Harley the next morning and asked how fast he had to be going, given the weight of a Dodge van. First they told me how lucky I was to be alive -which I for sure understood- and then said he had to be doing 52+ MPH.

Do I beleive in roll bars? Yes I do.

In fact, we rebuilt that bike (yes the frame was strightened) and I am now going through it again. I have seven gallons tanks going on and had to find a extra wide roll bar.

Roll bars, don't leave home without them.

Hey sailor,
welcome to the site.
Where are you getting the oversize tanks at?
Would you please post some pics.
Mike

sailordb

• Ride hard-live free
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 12:34:23 PM »

Thanks Mike: One thing that stays the same since the day I got the bike (9/88) is the MIA sticker on the oil bag. (USN, Nam 64-66)

I got the tanks and aircraft locking caps on E-Bay for $128.00. I got a LOT stuff cheap on E-Bay. All of it top drawer.
If you ain't having fun you're in the wrong place.

mfgreen

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 01:30:47 PM »

Thanks Mike: One thing that stays the same since the day I got the bike (9/88) is the MIA sticker on the oil bag. (USN, Nam 64-66)

I got the tanks and aircraft locking caps on E-Bay for $128.00. I got a LOT stuff cheap on E-Bay. All of it top drawer.

I guess I should rephrase that.  Who is the manufacturer of the tanks.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 01:55:02 PM »

I'm going fishing forget this bike riding.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.