Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley Davidson Ultra Classic hit chair and crashed on Utah interstate  (Read 2777 times)

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust

April 12th, 2010 @ 3:52pm
SALT LAKE CITY -- A Harley Davidson Ultra Classic motorcycle carrying a 39-year-old man and a 6-year-old girl struck a recliner chair that fell off a truck on Interstate 15 in Utah County. Utah Highway Patrol spokesman Jeff Nigbur says the crash occurred about 4 p.m. Saturday near Santaquin. More than 25,000 automobile crashes are caused by litter annually on North America roads. -UDOT says the man was taken by helicopter to Utah Valley Medical Center with injuries that weren't life-threatening. The girl riding on the back of the motorcycle suffered minor injures. Officials say the two were wearing helmets and are expected to recover.

Nigbur says the crash occurred when a recliner chair fell off a pickup and the motorcycle hit the chair and both riders were thrown. Troopers say wrecks like these are completely preventable, if people will ensure their cargo is secured.

"All it does is take a little bit more time to tie down the load, strap it down correctly, make sure it doesn't go anywhere, so something like this doesn't happen," Nigbur said.

Troopers encourage people who see debris in the road to call 911 so officers can clear it out of the way. The driver of the truck was cited for failure to secure a load.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Heck of a thing to hit on the highway, I hope they both will be OK
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?

Damn good thing they were wearing helmets, and glad to hear the 6 year old was OK.  :2vrolijk_21:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY

April 12th, 2010 @ 3:52pm
SALT LAKE CITY -- A Harley Davidson Ultra Classic motorcycle carrying a 39-year-old man and a 6-year-old girl struck a recliner chair that fell off a truck on Interstate 15 in Utah County. Utah Highway Patrol spokesman Jeff Nigbur says the crash occurred about 4 p.m. Saturday near Santaquin. More than 25,000 automobile crashes are caused by litter annually on North America roads. -UDOT says the man was taken by helicopter to Utah Valley Medical Center with injuries that weren't life-threatening. The girl riding on the back of the motorcycle suffered minor injures. Officials say the two were wearing helmets and are expected to recover.

Nigbur says the crash occurred when a recliner chair fell off a pickup and the motorcycle hit the chair and both riders were thrown. Troopers say wrecks like these are completely preventable, if people will ensure their cargo is secured.

"All it does is take a little bit more time to tie down the load, strap it down correctly, make sure it doesn't go anywhere, so something like this doesn't happen," Nigbur said.

Troopers encourage people who see debris in the road to call 911 so officers can clear it out of the way. The driver of the truck was cited for failure to secure a load.

Ya think.               A ticket to jail would be the correct punishishment.
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra

It'd be a great thing if law enforcement was as aggressive w/ unsecured loads as they are w/ speeding. Hope they heal up soon.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

It'd be a great thing if law enforcement was as aggressive w/ unsecured loads as they are w/ speeding. Hope they heal up soon.

Actually, it would be really nice if law enforcement paid any attention at all to this sort of thing around my area.  Plenty of laws on the books about securing loads, covering loads that have the potential to blow such as sand and gravel, etc.  And every day I see dump trucks with sand or gravel piled in the bed and the cover still rolled up (where it has probably stayed since the truck was built).  That stuff can very painful when cruising down the road at 60 mph, and just a little tough on the paint job as well.  I give them a very wide berth whenever possible, but it ticks me that I never see a cop pull one over as they tool up and down the highway sandblasting anyone unfortunate enough to get stuck behind them.

Another source of frustration is the morons who think they are Joe fixit and head over to the Home Depot with a passenger car to pick up a load of building materials.  The crap is tied on to the roof with that cheesy twine, or just stuck out the window, or maybe just stuck out the back with nothing more than the deck lid to hold it down.  I have to drive by the local Menards, Home Depot, and Lowes every day on my way to the gym, and the road is always littered with stuff that has fallen off or out of folks vehicles.  I try my best to avoid that entire stretch of road on my bike, since the fools have also been known to let entire boxes of nails fall out into the road.

My all-time favorite is the ace with a mattress lying on the roof, holding one side with his left arm out the window while his buddy is holding the right side out his window.  Seems to work OK at 2 mph in the parking lot, so lets hit the highway and get this sucker home.  Funny how a mattress can easily become a sail; funny, that is, unless you happen to be behind this moron when the mattress decides to go airborne.

I think life is much too easy these days, so really stupid folks somehow manage to survive and reproduce.  I would propose a minimum intelligence level requirement for people to reproduce, but in our politically correct society I'm pretty certain it wouldn't fly as far as that mattress.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY

Great comment Jerry but will it ever get any better. :-\  As always, expect the unexpected.  ;)
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded

Actually, it would be really nice if law enforcement paid any attention at all to this sort of thing around my area.  Plenty of laws on the books about securing loads, covering loads that have the potential to blow such as sand and gravel, etc.  And every day I see dump trucks with sand or gravel piled in the bed and the cover still rolled up (where it has probably stayed since the truck was built).  That stuff can very painful when cruising down the road at 60 mph, and just a little tough on the paint job as well.  I give them a very wide berth whenever possible, but it ticks me that I never see a cop pull one over as they tool up and down the highway sandblasting anyone unfortunate enough to get stuck behind them.

Another source of frustration is the morons who think they are Joe fixit and head over to the Home Depot with a passenger car to pick up a load of building materials.  The crap is tied on to the roof with that cheesy twine, or just stuck out the window, or maybe just stuck out the back with nothing more than the deck lid to hold it down.  I have to drive by the local Menards, Home Depot, and Lowes every day on my way to the gym, and the road is always littered with stuff that has fallen off or out of folks vehicles.  I try my best to avoid that entire stretch of road on my bike, since the fools have also been known to let entire boxes of nails fall out into the road.

My all-time favorite is the ace with a mattress lying on the roof, holding one side with his left arm out the window while his buddy is holding the right side out his window.  Seems to work OK at 2 mph in the parking lot, so lets hit the highway and get this sucker home.  Funny how a mattress can easily become a sail; funny, that is, unless you happen to be behind this moron when the mattress decides to go airborne.

I think life is much too easy these days, so really stupid folks somehow manage to survive and reproduce.  I would propose a minimum intelligence level requirement for people to reproduce, but in our politically correct society I'm pretty certain it wouldn't fly as far as that mattress.

Jerry

Like this?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

wolfman

• Senior CVO Member
  • serg

I had a couch fall off a pick up truck in front of me on Rt 95 in Portsmouth NH on my 32nd birthday. Was very lucky, just spit out a few chicklets and a lot of stitches in my mouth. I was more pissed off about my custom Honda Valkyre that was totaled, and the fact that the woman had no insurance. In NH you dont need insurance. Live free or die my ass. -Wolf.
SERT, V&H Power Duels, SE mufflers, Dyno-tuned , Heavy Breather, Corbin Solo , windsplitter windshield , J&M 250w amp/7.25" speakers.

Ultra2010

Here in Washington they are all over the unsecured loads.  State Troopers will give you one heck of a ticket, AND your vehicle will remain parked along side the road (yet another hazard) until you get it secured!  Even the county dump will fine you if you pull up with an unsecured load. 

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Harley Davidson Ultra Classic hit chair and crashed on Utah interstate
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 12:39:21 PM »

Here in Washington they are all over the unsecured loads.  State Troopers will give you one heck of a ticket, AND your vehicle will remain parked along side the road (yet another hazard) until you get it secured!  Even the county dump will fine you if you pull up with an unsecured load. 

:2vrolijk_21:

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
Re: Harley Davidson Ultra Classic hit chair and crashed on Utah interstate
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 03:31:02 PM »

People mistakenly think the cab of a pickup will keep the load blocked from the wind. The cab creates a lift from the wind in most cases causing the load to vacuum up and out.

A teen girl was pierced through the chest with a piece of rebar a few years back. Rebar is heavy and doesn't catch the wind, right??? :oops:  Attitude - Aw heck it's probably okay.  After it falls out - Aw heck I hope nobody gets hurt, keep goin, let's get the f### outta here before the law shows up and I have to be responsible!!!
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

Page created in 4.801 seconds with 22 queries.