Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Road Glide vs Street Glide  (Read 18857 times)

JasonDeezy

• Ride it 'til the wheels fall off...
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Orange you glad it's a CVO?...

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B
Re: Road Glide vs Street Glide
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2010, 03:53:44 AM »

So why are all of the "World's FASTEST Baggers" shark noses?... :orange:
King Tour Pack
Roland Sands Design Diesel Wheels 18"/21"
Klock Werks 21" Slicer Fender
Klock Werks 8" FLARE Black Windshield
Hawg Wired DCS/SX System
Cary Faas Racing (CFR) Slipons
Fullsac X-Pipe B
8" Yaffe OEM Monkey Bars & Power Mirrors
TTS Mastertune
Dakota Digital Gauges MCL-3006-R
Carl Brouhard Floorboards (Front & Rear)
   Brake Arm, Brake Pedal
   Heel & Toes Shifter (w/pegs), Shift Arm & Linkage
Kuryakyn License Plate Frame (#9182)
Arlen Ness Deep Cut Grips
Wheeldock EZ-Up Centerstand

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2010, 08:32:51 AM »

PSSSTTT

Dont be pointing out the obvious :D
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2010, 08:42:25 AM »

So why are all of the "World's FASTEST Baggers" shark noses?... :orange:
Because you can get them cheap?? :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:
Big Lew
IBA #595

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 11:09:23 AM »

Ooohhhhhhhh......did I hit a soft spot. :nervous:  Sorry guys......I didn't realize the RG guys are so sensative. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2010, 12:41:33 PM »

I've ridden both but have more time on a RG. In the looks department I prefer the RG and it does handle better without all the junk mounted to the forks. At very high speeds you really need a frame mounted fairing, but for the average rider it wouldn't make that much difference. I don't think either one has the edge on wind protection. The frame mounted fairing with lowers wins hands down in in the rain and I'm sure all of us can agree on that.
In my opinion we need a better designed frame mounted fairing with integrated lowers for rider comfort and to hide the plumbing on the 150/150 wet motor that will come with it.  For now I'll take second best, my SERG.  Doc

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2010, 12:54:44 PM »

I've ridden both but have more time on a RG. In the looks department I prefer the RG and it does handle better without all the junk mounted to the forks. At very high speeds you really need a frame mounted fairing, but for the average rider it wouldn't make that much difference. I don't think either one has the edge on wind protection. The frame mounted fairing with lowers wins hands down in in the rain and I'm sure all of us can agree on that.
In my opinion we need a better designed frame mounted fairing with integrated lowers for rider comfort and to hide the plumbing on the 150/150 wet motor that will come with it.  For now I'll take second best, my SERG.  Doc

Sorry Doc, but speaking from personal experience, I have to disagree with you on the rain protection issue.  I'm much better protected with my batwing fairing and lowers in the rain, then I ever was on either of my frame-mounted fairing bikes with lowers.  No comparison.  With the fairing mounted so far forward on the frame-mounted bikes, the dead-zone behind the fairing was forward of me so I got the "swirl-around" effects of catching what came behind the dead zone.  With the batwing fairing being closer, I'm in the dead zone and more protected.  To be honest, with the exception of high-speed handling, which is irrelevant to me because I rarely drive above 90, which goes hands down to the frame mounted fairing, I think it's just a matter of personal taste as to which is preferred.   :nixweiss:

:devil: 

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2010, 01:42:13 PM »

I'm just saying you get a tighter seal between the fairing and the lowers with the RG and that just isn't possible with the batwing. Out here in SoCal that isn't much of an issue but I have to say my buddy rides a ULTRA and we definitely stay dryer especially from the knees down. My friends with Wings just laugh at both of us.   Doc

wldsyd

• Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2010, 03:23:28 PM »

I am a new member as of today!  My first motorcycle was a 2007 Street Glide; I currently have a 2009 CVO Road Glide.  I found that I had more protection from rain on the Street Glide by far since you seem to sit higher on the Road Glide, and my hands are better protected on the Street Glide as well.  Handling in the wind goes hands down to the Road Glide but only if the wind is from the side; the buffeting without a new windshield was unbelieveable!  The RG lighting is better than the SG hands down.  The other advantage to the SG is that it is SO MUCH less expensive on repairs since the fairing removal on the RG seems to take the local HD service guys days to take apart and put together!   Have to say that I like the handy storage pockets too on the RG!

My SG was black; I have the pearl yellow RG -- I get more compliments on the RG and more attention -- including comments on visibility!  Black may be cool and "slimming" -- but yellow gets the attention, notice and compliments!  Plus the notoriety of being a gal on the big yellow CVO helps too!  LOL!!!!

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »

Welcome wldsyd !

Funny, just like every other subject (oil, windshields, helmets, suspension, audio...) there is usually no clear winner; everyone's got their own opinion. I'm 6'3" and love my SERG with the stock shield. The batwing is OK, but I'll take my frame mounted fairing anyday.. but then I put 100k miles on my Goldwing in 4 years, so that is what I am used to riding behind. Never ridden behind a batwing, so I can't speak to it... but I'll say I never thought I'd jump on the Harley "bandwagon" (lol) until I saw the yellow SERG... it was love at first sight.  :love:

wldsyd

• Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 12:43:28 PM »

Hi Crusty --

Thanks for the welcome!

I know what you mean; I had every intention of buying a BMW, but a friend of mine talked me into buying his "used" 07 RG with only 94 miles on it!  (He wanted to build a custom bike).  I asked him "Are you sure it's not too big for me for my first bike?"  He said -- "Nah -- If you go to the dealership they'll sell you a sportster and I know you well enough to know that you will be bored inside of a week! You'll do just fine on this one!"

And he was right!  Harley girl ever since!

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »

welcome WLDSYD, see you live in Darien, I used to live at 79th and Cicero. nice bike but i'll take the Silver lol.
RG over any batwing for me.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

wldsyd

• Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 01:03:30 PM »

I originally planned to buy the silver --- but when I saw it in person the lower color is an army olive greenish shade.  I grew up in a military family and every single vehicle we owned was some shade of army camo  -- I just couldn't go there!  Besides -- I have a bright and sunny personality!  LOL  ;D

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 02:54:26 PM »

Besides -- I have a bright and sunny personality!  LOL  ;D

WOO HOO! We can use all the bright & sunny personalities we can get around here!   :bananarock:

BADBAGG

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B D& D Fat Cat , SE 259E Cams , High Compression Pistons , TTS Mastertune, Yaffe Monkeys bars , Yaffe Monkey engine guard , Kenwood DVD/CD radio 650 watts 7 speakers. C & C solo seat , Motorcycle Armor, Klock Werks 8" windsheild,30 tooth pulley
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 10:26:54 PM »

I agree with the RG side.

BADBAGG

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B D& D Fat Cat , SE 259E Cams , High Compression Pistons , TTS Mastertune, Yaffe Monkeys bars , Yaffe Monkey engine guard , Kenwood DVD/CD radio 650 watts 7 speakers. C & C solo seat , Motorcycle Armor, Klock Werks 8" windsheild,30 tooth pulley
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2010, 10:31:09 PM »

I have owned both. The RG is a much better ride imo. My wife rides a street glide and i have swapped with her on windy days because the streetglide just moves around way to much. I also like having the fairing farther away then the batwing. It gives you the feeling of riding a bike with no fairing while still having protection from the elements. Oh yeah and a radio.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 21 queries.