Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Video of direction lock extraction  (Read 1500 times)

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
Video of direction lock extraction
« on: August 08, 2010, 05:34:04 AM »

Hello,I've seen a few time ago somewhere in this forum a video showing how to get out the direction lock (where you put the key) but i couldn't find it anymore ! :oops:  I've tried to search but i don't know the correct name of this part in english... :-\  

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Video of direction lock extraction
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:04:47 AM »

Hello,I've seen a few time ago somewhere in this forum a video showing how to get out the direction lock (where you put the key) but i couldn't find it anymore ! :oops:  I've tried to search but i don't know the correct name of this part in english... :-\  

Ignition switch or Fork Lock. But putting the lock back in can drive you nuts . There are a few things in there that have to lineup for the lock to go back together.http://www.handsontools.com/JIMS-943-Ignition-Switch-Housing-Alignment-Tool-for-Harley-Davidson_p_19867.html

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 11:43:03 AM »

Thanks David for the tip for the tool!
That's OK I found it on youtube! :orange: :mango:
For the one who could be interested here it is :

Joelgonia

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRISE4
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:29:58 AM »

My electronic fork lock has issues -- keeps getting stuck.  Are you guys suggesting I need to buy one of these alignment tools so I can fix it myself, or should I just get a new lock under the warranty?  Kinda confused 'cause it sounds like this may happen frequently.  Also concerned -- Can anyone unlock my forks and start the bike if they have one of these tools?

As it is, I don't lock the forks.
2010 CVO Blk Ultra -- Krull the Warrior King

Living large - Flying low - Riding high

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 04:49:15 AM »

Joelgonia, Have you tried some penetrating lubrication spray in where the key goes, or possibel if you have a flexible nozzel like on a WD40 can stick it under the chrome part of the lock and spray some down the hole where the shaft goes to activate the lock. The locks on my 09 were all getting a little rough and hard to turn ( especially the saddlebags because I normally just press the key fob) so I sprayed them all with some penetrating lubricant and they are now nice and smooth and easy to turn. Just a thought. CAHDBIKER

My electronic fork lock has issues -- keeps getting stuck.  Are you guys suggesting I need to buy one of these alignment tools so I can fix it myself, or should I just get a new lock under the warranty?  Kinda confused 'cause it sounds like this may happen frequently.  Also concerned -- Can anyone unlock my forks and start the bike if they have one of these tools?

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 08:52:17 AM »

I would suggest that you have the dealer fix the lock if it's binding (I'm assuming you're talking about the fork lock binding, not the actual ignition switch or key).

That tool won't let anyone steal your ride.  You have to have the knob removed to utilize the tool, and removing the knob requires the key (or a heavy duty pry bar, I suppose).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Joelgonia

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:02:34 PM »

The locking mechanism won't disengage -- Both times the Dealer popped the chrome knob off and manually unlocked the forks using a similar alignment tool.  In each instance, he used a flathead screwdriver to pop the tab (under the chrome knob on the right side), pulled the knob all the way off, and then used the tool to unlock and then reinsert the knob.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:43:31 PM »

The locking mechanism won't disengage -- Both times the Dealer popped the chrome knob off and manually unlocked the forks using a similar alignment tool.  In each instance, he used a flathead screwdriver to pop the tab (under the chrome knob on the right side), pulled the knob all the way off, and then used the tool to unlock and then reinsert the knob.

After they did this twice, what was their plan going forward?  Just tell you to never lock the forks, or do they intend to fix it properly sometime in the near future? 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Joelgonia

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 11:29:01 PM »

Jerry,  This was during the first week I had my bike -- The electronic fork lock was new for the Blk Ultra.  They said they could order another one if I wanted to.  I have waited to place the order to see how many others have this same problem, and can it be fixed, or is it a design flaw !  From the posts I've seen here and elsewhere, I'm going to place the order and have a new knob installed.  FYI... the 2011 CVO Ultra has the same knob as mine -- guess mine was the test unit!  (I will also order the alignment tool !)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 12:03:54 AM »

Jerry,  This was during the first week I had my bike -- The electronic fork lock was new for the Blk Ultra.  They said they could order another one if I wanted to.  I have waited to place the order to see how many others have this same problem, and can it be fixed, or is it a design flaw !  From the posts I've seen here and elsewhere, I'm going to place the order and have a new knob installed.  FYI... the 2011 CVO Ultra has the same knob as mine -- guess mine was the test unit!  (I will also order the alignment tool !)

Might try George's Garage for the alignment tool.  It's his part number 659900.  He'll likely be cheaper and is a great guy to work with.

http://www.georges-garage.com/chassis_tools.htm

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 22 queries.