Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: SERG dropped #$%#$%$# city road repairs  (Read 22074 times)

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
SERG dropped #$%#$%$# city road repairs
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:10:18 PM »

Last night at Huntclub and Hawthorne (OTTAWA CANADA)  I came to a set of lights and stopped. The light turned green I started to drive forward behind a cager. Thats when I discovered the city had been digging holes and then covered them with steel sheets...and made little ramps with asphalt. Well my front tire mounted the first sheet at 5-10 mph and when it got to the second the asphalt had gone granular and the second sheet pulled my front wheel to the right and down when the bike.

It was 130 am... and I was pissed. I'm bruised up, glad I had the leathers on.

My only damage is to the fairing... the outer is cracked and the inner lost some pieces. I called Harley and the outer is $480... the Inner...$1200!!!! OMG Ebay here I come

And no I am not telling my insurance company about it... it would be an at fault claim... So I am taking the City of Ottawa to Small Claims court
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: SERG dropped #$%#$%$# city road repairs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:40:38 PM »

Sorry to read this one, Gank.  Don't know about Canada but in the US, before you can go to court against a government entity, you have to file an administrative claim with that entity.   You might want to check on that.  Good luck! 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:19:11 PM »

No our only recourse is take the city to court

So far I have found two inner fairings for less than $200   This might be a Weekend upgrade... the paints going to be the tough part
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:08:43 PM »

Good luck with your repairs and getting reimbursed from the City.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:59:21 PM »

Sorry to read this....it is amazing how often road repairs,etc are made without any thought given to 2 wheel vehicles being at risk.  Let us know how you make out and good luck.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:01:33 PM »

Good luck with your repairs and getting reimbursed from the City.

X2  Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 09:17:52 AM »

My guess, for the amount you are talking about, they will pay with a lot of resistance. Could cost them a lot more in regular court.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 09:36:49 AM »

I am sorry to hear that. I hate seeing steel plates on the road, especially when they are wet or moist. Then they become like a sheet of ice.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:33:05 AM »

No our only recourse is take the city to court

So far I have found two inner fairings for less than $200   This might be a Weekend upgrade... the paints going to be the tough part

I also live in Ontario. A few years back while driving in my truck on some township roads saw that the centre yellow lines were being painted. I was waved through by one of the road crew. Got home , and had yellow paint dots all over the vehicle.  That line paint does not come off easily. First off, Township didn't want to reimburse till I suggested Small Claims. Gave them the bill for $690.00 for buffing/recleaning and it was paid in a week.

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 06:36:30 PM »

The Max you can sue in Small Claims is $10 K.. so I will sue for the 10 K as my opening salvo... my costs plus pain and suffering.

I have a huge bruise on my hip, Dr says I will be sore for about 2 months, nothing long term thank god
To Libs and NDP

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 08:56:33 PM »

Sorry to read this....it is amazing how often road repairs,etc are made without any thought given to 2 wheel vehicles being at risk.  Let us know how you make out and good luck.  spyder

Boy that's the truth! On our resant trip I was on a road that I believe had more tar repairs for the cracks in the ashpalt than there was asphalt. It was pouring rain and the bike was squirmy at the slightest movement of the handlebars. Then there is those stupid cables I was told came from the stimulus package, the ones they use to keep any oncoming traffic from crossing the median on some interstates. When I saw them putting them up I thought what they would do to me if I lost a tire and went off into them. It would cut you in two! :nervous:

Oops, didn't mean to defer from what happened to you Gank! Sorry to hear about your bike. I pray you will be compensated for it! Good luck and God Bless!

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 10:23:38 PM »

Thanks Guys... I was out looking at the old girl tonight... she looks so battered...
To Libs and NDP

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 01:31:22 AM »

Sorry to here about your spill and the cause of it.  City should know better, since they don't your only recourse is to do what you have to do to get reimbursed.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 04:27:12 AM »

The Max you can sue in Small Claims is $10 K.. so I will sue for the 10 K as my opening salvo... my costs plus pain and suffering.

I have a huge bruise on my hip, Dr says I will be sore for about 2 months, nothing long term thank god

Not so. January 1st of 2011 the maximum increased to $25,000.00 in Ontario.

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 06:49:31 AM »

Thanks for the update...$25 K thats great news.

Calling my local councilor this morning to complain... they need to do something to make sure this does not happen to someone else... but I am afraid that like most, he will do nothing until the city gets sued.
To Libs and NDP

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 03:27:42 PM »

Well... I am going out to buy a Loto ticket.  The Councillor called me back.  Yes the city should do better, yes he will let Public works know, and yes there is a claim process to get these things resolved... and how did I feel.... much better I said
To Libs and NDP

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 03:42:31 PM »

Well... I am going out to buy a Loto ticket.  The Councillor called me back.  Yes the city should do better, yes he will let Public works know, and yes there is a claim process to get these things resolved... and how did I feel.... much better I said
Now for the bruises to heal.  :)  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 07:38:31 AM »

Well got a letter from the City saying it was Enbridge gases fault. Called them, talked to a really nice lady. Then got a call from Freedom Harley...the estimate to put the bike back the way it was at the beginning of that fateful night... wait for it....$10200...yes that is not a typo. A screaming eagle gas tank is $1400??Outer fairing is 1099, with the inner being $1181..one lower is worth 435 and front engine guard is $282... Labour to replace parts is $1200 and painting is $1000... plus rivets and gaskets, etc...

I know I could source the parts and do it myself for a whole lot less.. OMG

So now I await Enbridge... course I have taken pictures of their new plate site... lots of warning signs and nice pavement shoulders in real pavement, not cold patch... so they will look guilty as all sin if I take them and the city to small claims court...

To Libs and NDP

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 07:52:57 AM »

Gank, give them hell.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 12:37:19 PM »

Yeah, these babies are expensive to purchase & expensive to repair.  Good luck Gank.  spyder

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »

Damn, that's a helluva repair estimate. Most insurance companies would total the bike.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 07:38:51 AM »

If enbridge wants to total it, I am fine with that... make me a good offer that includes the bike.  I'll buy another and modify this one using used parts and a new paint job... maybe make it a military bike so I can ride in parades... have not seen a RD done that way... Im sure you guys will help me spend some coin LOL
To Libs and NDP

Cigarmike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 09:52:37 AM »

Thats why you get replacement insurance on the bike, including upgrades, my repair bill from an accident was 21k, plus 4k in supplementals, would of cost em 38k to total it ....and that was an '06 in april of 2009
You will get no more Respect than you are willing to give.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 10:48:43 AM »

Wow! I would think with those prices it would be for painted parts!! Glad to hear you are okay.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 11:45:17 AM »

How can a standard, unpainted, black plastic inner fairing like what came on the 2000 SERG possibly be $1,181? :shocked2:  With the parts prices you've quoted here, $80,000 for Chip's complete 2001 SERG suddenly seems "reasonable."

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 11:54:50 AM »

How can a standard, unpainted, black plastic inner fairing like what came on the 2000 SERG possibly be $1,181? :shocked2:  With the parts prices you've quoted here, $80,000 for Chip's complete 2001 SERG suddenly seems "reasonable."

Some day I knew he would see the light.
And I try hard to keep mine as nice as his!

:huepfenlol2:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 02:09:11 PM »

How can a standard, unpainted, black plastic inner fairing like what came on the 2000 SERG possibly be $1,181? :shocked2:  With the parts prices you've quoted here, $80,000 for Chip's complete 2001 SERG suddenly seems "reasonable."

Standard black inner fairing is about $250.  Just checked it at Ronnie's HD looking at a 2001.  

Just double checked the parts stash:

I've got a primed new primed inner that will sell for $200 plus shipping if he's interested.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:11:17 PM by Twolanerider »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 04:24:56 PM »

$250 I could see (even though it probably costs $25 to make).  We must have some confusion over what an "inner fairing" is.  $1,181 would only be right if all the gauges, radio and speakers came attached.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 08:19:14 PM »

$250 I could see (even though it probably costs $25 to make).  We must have some confusion over what an "inner fairing" is.  $1,181 would only be right if all the gauges, radio and speakers came attached.

Have you priced a inner fairing for your SEEG lately?  :o  spyder

flyin-r

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 08:09:12 PM »

As of last year, an inner fairing for my 2010 FLHXSE was $529 (less discount) and Tilley's HD in Salisbury, NC charged $290 for the installation. Support brackets would have been $46 each if they had been needed. Outer fairing was $737 (less discount).

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 08:10:09 PM »

We I got a call from the sub contractors insurance company today... he left a message about my accident on aug 18... it was July 20, read the F'n statement I sent you

Wants to talk.. great but my riding season is done, bike cant be back on the road till nov now... but at least I see some movement.  will update
To Libs and NDP

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 08:22:59 PM »

We I got a call from the sub contractors insurance company today... he left a message about my accident on aug 18... it was July 20, read the F'n statement I sent you

Wants to talk.. great but my riding season is done, bike cant be back on the road till nov now... but at least I see some movement.  will update
Stick with it....they'll try to drag it out.....keep us up to date.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »

Good luck with a fair settlement!

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 06:50:17 PM »

Well its off to court I go...  the guys that did the faulty road work say they are not responsible, and to use my own insurance..

So City of Ottawa - its your road, your contract, your contractors
Enbridge Gas - your the prime contractor
Aecon - sub contractor who did the work

See you in court you will be severed next week.

I will enjoy this
To Libs and NDP

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 06:53:49 PM »

See you in court you will be severed next week.

I will enjoy this

Oh chit!  That seems extreme ??? !

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 07:15:41 PM »

Oh chit!  That seems extreme ??? !
well, he is pissed. And with good reason.   :) har.  spyder

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 07:23:18 PM »

Man - really sorry to see this news. I'm glad you weren't any more badly injured than you were. That could have been much worse on your body. Bikes can be fixed a LOT easier than riders can.

Good luck in your lawsuit to collect damages... I hope you get more than enough to make your bike like brand new... and some more to compensate YOU for your injuries.

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 07:39:48 PM »

Well my google foo is very strong....
Seems the use of cold patch material is not recommended for the construction of ramps, and not to be used over 100 F  (BTW steel plates in the sun on a 40C day = lack of cohesion)  Found an engineering study that showed using a Marshall compactor, this stuff is great in a hole... not so on a flat surface.

I have as a expert, the US Corps of Engineers :-), the DOT of British Columbia, Pennsylvania, Oregon and NY States

I also found some vendor sites detailing why asphalt based cold patch does not work in the heat... above 80F...

Oh yes, Im going to make these idiots pay...
To Libs and NDP

Babkis

• CVO1: Krypto
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 09:13:18 PM »

You'll eventually get your money. Took my buddy a year to get reimbursed for a bent frame on his bobber as a result of hitting a pothole. His GF needed chiro treatments, they paid for everything. Good luck!
"No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be true." Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804 - 1864)

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 01:06:45 PM »

UPDATE
Well I found some hidden city of Ottawa bylaws that show the work was not done properly. (I used Dogpile not Google which could not find it)

I served City of Ottawa, Enbridge Gas and AECO construction with a Small Claims court proceedings, which is good for up to $25,000
I have to give them 21 days to file a defense... so 1 March I submit my afadavide stating they have been served (Name, place time)

I had a lawyer review my submition... he was surprised by the stuff I had dug up and wanted to know if I wanted a job as a researcher...lol  I told him he could not afford me

The Lawyer says this will never get to court, they will request a meeting to settle as going to court will cost all three more than $25K

So now to sit and wait

Cheers

Gank
To Libs and NDP

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012, 01:20:14 PM »

Nice!  Thanks for the update.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »

Nice!  Thanks for the update.  Good luck and keep us posted.

X2

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »

Very Interesting post....I wish you luck, sounds like you have a very strong case.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 02:01:13 PM »

Interesting read for sure, best of luck. :2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 05:10:29 PM »

Hang in there.......we're pulling for ya.  spyder

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2012, 05:16:09 PM »

Maybe enough for another CVO. Good luck.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2012, 05:36:52 PM »

I've used the Ontario Small Claims system in the past... don't let them intimidate you in the "settlement meeting" keep your cool and stick "close" to your magic number :2vrolijk_21:

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2012, 09:51:09 AM »

You've done you homework for sure. :2vrolijk_21: Can't wait for the outcome.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2012, 10:10:04 AM »

Just read this entire thread..sorry for the accident, but you seem all ready to get them in court! Good Luck.

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2012, 05:20:52 PM »

I've used the Ontario Small Claims system in the past... don't let them intimidate you in the "settlement meeting" keep your cool and stick "close" to your magic number :2vrolijk_21:

Marty

haha I spent 27 years in the Armoured Corps... I do not get  intimidated...not by some lawyers.  My position is pay up or become a legal precedent that I will post all over the internet.  I will show up in a suit and tie, with my long service award on my lapel... at 6ft 1 280 lbs, short hair with the law on my side, I look like a politician not a biker. I have nothing to lose in court.
To Libs and NDP

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »

You go Gank!  Get em and good fortune!   :2vrolijk_21:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2012, 02:43:10 PM »

First time I read this I thought to myself :'( why the heck would you be riding your bike up in Canada if February and then I noticed the thread started in July!  Hell, if it were Michigan, we would be passing the same construction site (year later) in July 2012 with guys leaning on their shovels getting paid overtime!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2012, 02:07:10 PM »

Well I got the city of ottawas defense today....
1. We are not responsible, we just issue the work permit
2. if we are responsible, Enbridge has to pay
3. Mr Gank was driving at excessive speeds (3 mph)

Actually if I had been driving fast, the gyro effect of my wheels might have kept my bike up... got to love lawyers

To Libs and NDP

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2012, 03:34:13 PM »

And so it begins. Good luck and kick some lawyer butt.

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »

And so it begins. Good luck and kick some lawyer butt.
X's 2  :2vrolijk_21:

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2012, 11:03:33 AM »

Got the statement of Defense from Enbridge and Aecon construction (represented by same law firm)
1.  Mr Gank drove at too high a speed (3 mph)
2.  Mr Gank was on prescription or non-prescription drugs, using alcohol, and stimulants (including Coffee) - I get ramdom drug tests at work - LOL
3.  Mr Gank was in the wrong lane to make a turn under the highway traffic act - yes I should not have been following that BMW and having the two Ambalances follow me into the marked left turn lane to turn left - WTF??
4.  Mr Gank was not wearing proper motorcycle clothing - No law in Ontario, except helmet law which I was wearing, I had on a padded Harley Motorcycle leather jacket, heavy Jeans, HD riding boots, and leather gloves... all this on the hottest day in the year
5.  We did our job - I guess the pictures mean nothing
6.  Repairing Mr Ganks bike would be a betterment of said bike - I Guess the picture of the bike 2 weeks earlier showing no damage does not count

Im off to the Court house today to find out when I have my first mediation meeting... I expect this to be settled outside of court.
To Libs and NDP

93-331-29psi

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Candy Cobalt/Twilight BLUE RG
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2012, 11:20:28 AM »

Good Luck, interested to hear the results.

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »

Hey Gank:

This appears to be a boiler plate statement used by the Attorneys to try to make you go away.  Good luck.  You've got a legit case.  :2vrolijk_21:

We've got a similar one working here in the SF Bay Area.  An acquaintance was riding two up on a BMW, during a test ride.  He is a very experienced rider and hit some cold patch coming down Highway 9, into Saratoga.  They both broke their left ankles.  They will get a settlement, eventually.  These things rarely go to court.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2012, 04:26:09 PM »

I thought BMW was short for Break my wallet... not break my ankle :-)  hope they are doing well.  Discovered that cold patch from most of the USA is not recommended for use above 80 degrees and not recommended as a ramp compound... Google is your friend :-)

Yes it boiler plate... my lawyer friend said the same thing, doubts they even looked at my submittion... this will be cleared at mediation meeting
To Libs and NDP

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2012, 08:47:38 PM »

good luck gank  not that u need it  time to get that bike back on the road spring is here
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2012, 06:28:26 PM »

Well well well... this is an interesting development

The city has launched a small claims court case against Enbridge Gas and Aecon for $25K... Seems the city feels they did not do their job properly in the road cut... What a surprise.  I have been included as a courtesy by the city

I am going to ask for a WITHOUT PREJUDICE meeting with the lawyer representing Enbridge and Aecon to get a quick settlement and reduce costs.

To Libs and NDP

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2012, 06:39:12 PM »

Good luck. We will stay tuned.

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2012, 10:51:38 AM »

Ok, 16 July is court date.

I was going to fix the bike and put it back on the road...because I am jonesing... but lawyer advised ... ok told me under no circumstances.
1.  It would allow them to say the bike is back on the road, so its OK
2.  if i got into another accident... who fixes what would be a real issue

So my wife suggested I buy a cheap bike to ride to get the need out of my system.

I found a 84 GW 1200 Standard on sale at KIJIJI... wanted $1500 for it (way below market value), offered $600... I bought it for $700.  It was well cared for by an older rider who has leg issues and can not keep the bike up anymore as he is 80 - (blue pill jokes at the time)

Anyways Im back on two wheels, I love the  lightness of the bike, hate the cramped foot space, miss the engine noise

Andrew
To Libs and NDP

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2012, 11:21:09 AM »

Any motorized vehicle on 2 wheels is better than anyone on 4. Enjoy the Wing!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:52:51 PM by Buy early »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2012, 12:04:32 PM »

Any motorized vehicle on 2 wheel is better than anyone on 4. Enjoy the Wing!
agree!!! and WOW what a deal.  ;D har.  spyder

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2012, 12:26:15 PM »

Any motorized vehicle on 2 wheel is better than anyone on 4. Enjoy the Wing!
At least you are in the wind! I'd like a deal like that.....old enough for cheap insurance, and don't mind driving it in winter (here, at least).
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »

This whole story is UNF#$KING BELIEVABLE!!!!! The compnay is dead wrong and still wants to fight it. Now they have the city on their AZZ!!!!! Please keep us posted and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2012, 02:01:29 PM »

That old Wing is in great condition!  :2vrolijk_21:  Keep in mind the '84 wings had some stator problems, so if for some reason it conks out on you, that is the first thing I'd check.  Not an expensive fix, but still a PITA if you're out somewhere and can't get home.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2012, 10:53:08 PM »

I enjoy reading the updates in this thread.. go get 'um!

Lawyers.. what a PITA

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2012, 11:56:32 PM »

Too often the city doesn't think about motorcycle riders when they do their work. Glad you weren't hurt too bad.

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2012, 10:57:46 AM »

Yesterday I took pictures of a construction site that must have riders.... it was done right... lips and irregularities clearly marked in florresent orange and the steel plate was pinned and they used a rubber ramp... so it can be done.. and now becomes part of my case... they are making this too easy
To Libs and NDP

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »

Glad to read that things are heading in a positive direction for you.

Great steal on the Wing and not too many of them without the bags and fairing. EagleEye is right about the stator and it's the achilles heal for the 84-86 Wing. Don't wash around the seat area as that's where the stator wiring runs. If you find the 3 heavy duty connectors then pack them full of silicon dielectric grease but check for burn marks or corrosion. When the connectors get corroded it sets up a high resistance and wipes out the stator. My first wing was an 86 in great shape and low miles. But I rode to see my parents one weekend and decided to wash it. Wrong answer and we got about halfway to Seattle (from Tri-Cities) before the battery died. The engine has to come out since the stator is inside the back cover. Haven't priced one in decades but they were about $400 back then. Mine was still under a 90 day warranty so the dealership sent me the parts and I R&R'd the stator myself.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:01:55 PM by CVOThunder »
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2012, 08:25:34 AM »

UPDATE
The earlier court date was moved to DEC 5.

Received a bully letter from the lawyer of Consumers Gas and Acon.  Showed it to my lawyer friend, he said for me to reply to them and cc the courts that this was abusive of me the plaintif and of the court systems.  Does not think the Judge will be pleased. 
To Libs and NDP

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2012, 09:54:52 AM »

dec will be here before you know it. bet u cant wait to get the harley fixed.
best of luck to ya   Terry
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2012, 07:41:24 PM »

Well the week has finally arrived... off to court this week... Hope I get a settlement that Im happy with and more importantly gets the bike back on the road...  might have to upgrade to LEDs while she is in
To Libs and NDP

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »

Best of luck!

If you figure out how to get the LED's on the early SERGs, let us know!

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »

Good luck Gank  :2vrolijk_21: I hope all goes your way  :drink:

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2012, 06:21:16 PM »

Good luck Gank!
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2012, 08:56:08 AM »

May the Harley Gods favor you. I think you got them!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2012, 01:21:33 PM »

Well 
I cant tell you that I won or lost or anything.

But

The SERG will be returning to the streets this spring  :bananarock: :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :mango: :orange: :huepfenjump3:
To Libs and NDP

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2012, 01:31:38 PM »

Well 
I cant tell you that I won or lost or anything.

But

The SERG will be returning to the streets this spring  :bananarock: :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :mango: :orange: :huepfenjump3:

Ok, the final judgement had some disclaimer wherein you can't disclose details.  Let me ask you a question completely unrelated to the judgement.  A question on the efficacy of your diet and the never ending fight with weight gain over the winter months.  When the bike is bike to you in the spring will any part of you (wallet, for example) feel any lighter?

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2012, 01:57:40 PM »

No, my wallet, or stout constitution will not be effected in anyways, with regard to said diet.  Course this morning I feel like I have put on a few pounds more that I normally want to.
To Libs and NDP

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2012, 02:23:57 PM »

Glad all this is somewhat behind you now Gank.  Now you can use that stress and re-direct it to getting that scooter back on the road just the way you want it and maybe with a few         up-grades.  :2vrolijk_21: har.  spyder

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »

Good to here you'll get your ride fixed!  Bet it's been a loooooooooooooong year! :2vrolijk_21:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »

Glad to hear it worked out. May your weight gain continue as long as the poundage can be measured in $'s!

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2012, 07:25:59 PM »

Congrats Gank  :2vrolijk_21: :drink: :huepfenjump3: can't wait to see the new pic's  :2vrolijk_21:

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2012, 09:27:17 PM »

I stopped by the stealership 

They had originally told me they would store it for free if I did the work there... now they are saying well only half the time... to which I said you got a work order saying I agree to that?  cause I would have picked it up... you dont want to go to small claims court do you ?  (I was smiling)  so he gave me a large discount on tires, brakes oil change, battery... and some free jackets... I mean it is nearly 10 K of work for his shop after all

Getting me a price on a 6 speed... what one do you guys think is the best?
To Libs and NDP

roastbeedo

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »

I live in Ottawa as well, you file a claim with the City for the damage without court. Did it myself with a bent rim on my car during construction on Rideay Vallley. This was a aftermarket rim. They paid!!!

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »

I did that... they said it was the contractors fault because the road cut permit gives them indemnity or something to that effect.  I followed the process, documented everything with pictures (thank you smart phone) and still ended up in court
To Libs and NDP

Fxr4Rider

• More to come
  • Full CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, it's the journey.
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 Yellow
    • CVO2: 2012 Flhxse3- Build Date 01/12
    • CVO3: 1985 FLT (SOLD)
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2012, 06:22:37 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:   I am quite happy to hear that there a few CVO's in Ottawa.

Cant wait to ride, only about 150 long draw out days to go!!!!
Fullsac w/ 2" cores
Zumo 665
LED Spots with Led Trim Rings
HID Headlight
Red LED under glow street kit
Kury Curved Lic plate
Ultimate seat with backrest
FUN AS HELL TO RIDE!!
King Matched Tour Pak
Ultimate Seat
LRS Windscreen
More Chrome
Andrews 54's
.30 head gaskets
Chubby's and Heated Grips!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.686 seconds with 21 queries.