Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Hitting cars when lane sharing  (Read 17231 times)

HeadAndEyes

Hitting cars when lane sharing
« on: December 11, 2011, 12:13:16 AM »

Once or twice a year, I end up nailing a car while I am lane sharing. To be more specific I do not exactly run into the cars, but I rub up against them. I am tired of doing this, and am looking for some tips to avoid rubbing up against vehicles. I am not sure if it's case of not knowing how wide my HD is, or what's the deal. Maybe I need better judgment where I'll fit and where I won't. Any tips would be valued. I am tired of scuffing up my baby.  :oops:

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
Re: Hitting cars when lane sharing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 12:30:05 AM »

WOW

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 12:45:59 AM »

HeadAndEyes,

I see that's your first post. Welcome to the site, we're glad you are here. Tell us a little something about yourself. Where do you live? How long have you been riding? What kind of training have you had? What is your riding experience? What kinds of bikes do you have or have had? Where have you toured? What's your favorite place to ride to and your most memorable experience. Lastly, how did you find our site?

I like your handle, Head And Eyes, always a good place to start.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

HeadAndEyes

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 12:55:23 AM »

WOW

I have been a lurker on this site for 8 months, make my first post, and this is the kind of reply I get?
Good to meet you too.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 01:02:41 AM »

YES

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 01:04:08 AM »

How is it that an insurance company will write a policy for you with 1 or 2 at fault accidents per year?  
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 01:08:04 AM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

HeadAndEyes

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 01:05:15 AM »

HeadAndEyes,

I see that's your first post. Welcome to the site, we're glad you are here. Tell us a little something about yourself. Where do you live? How long have you been riding? What kind of training have you had? What is your riding experience? What kinds of bikes do you have or have had? Where have you toured? What's your favorite place to ride to and your most memorable experience. Lastly, how did you find our site?

I like your handle, Head And Eyes, always a good place to start.

Mark

Dear Sir:

1. I live in a suburb of San Diego, California called Del Mar.
2. I have been riding for three years.
3. I attended MSF Beginner Rider training in January of 2010, because I needed my license so I could ride at night. I wasn't able to complete the final exam, and retook the class in May of 2010 and completed the exam and got my license.
4. My riding experience has all been after my MSF class. I try to ride at least once per week for 25-30 miles.
5. I own a Road Glide
6. I have done one tour in Kuwait, and the rest of my duty has been stateside.
7.I like riding the coast, and to lunch somewhere on Sundays. I have yet to go on any rides far away.
8. I found the site by searching Google for harley cvo forum. You are the first that comes up. :) My dream is to own a CVO but I want to get confident in my riding first, and secure my financial future before jumping in head first to the cvo world.

Thank you for your note, Sir.

HeadAndEyes

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 01:07:10 AM »

How is it that an insurance company will write a policy for you with 1 or 2 at fault accidents per year?  

I have never had an insurance claim. Any damage that has been done has been paid out of pocket. It's been very minor. I had to get a woman's bumper buffed out for $150. I am not running into cars, just gently rubbing against them from misjudging my width.

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 02:34:42 AM »

HeadandEyes - I am a Newbie to this site like yourself, so welcome from Texas.  I have been riding most of my life, and like others on this site would consider myself an experienced rider.  You are being very honest in your question, but I have to say that I have never experienced accidental rubbing with moving vehicles on a recurring basis.  Mind you I make mistakes, just not that one.  I try to be very aware of my position in a lane of traffic, and where all the other vehicles are in position to me.  Never rely solely on your mirrors, but always use a good turn of the head before changing lanes.  You mentioned that you are a veteran, so the term "situational awareness" should be something you are familiar with.  Not to be rude, but for the sake of your own safety, perhaps you should consider a refresher safety course, or one of the advanced rider safety courses.  I don't think anything you read here will help, you need some time on the road, on your own bike, with an instructor.  He can better see what your doing and offer guidance.

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 03:45:04 AM »

Maybe a little more experience is in order before jeopardizing your life and those around you while trying to lane share. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.  :soapbox:
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 06:38:02 AM »

Dear Sir:

1. I live in a suburb of San Diego, California called Del Mar.
2. I have been riding for three years.
3. I attended MSF Beginner Rider training in January of 2010, because I needed my license so I could ride at night. I wasn't able to complete the final exam, and retook the class in May of 2010 and completed the exam and got my license.
4. My riding experience has all been after my MSF class. I try to ride at least once per week for 25-30 miles.
5. I own a Road Glide
6. I have done one tour in Kuwait, and the rest of my duty has been stateside.
7.I like riding the coast, and to lunch somewhere on Sundays. I have yet to go on any rides far away.
8. I found the site by searching Google for harley cvo forum. You are the first that comes up. :) My dream is to own a CVO but I want to get confident in my riding first, and secure my financial future before jumping in head first to the cvo world.

Thank you for your note, Sir.

HeadAndEyes,

Thanks for the response, it helps us get to know you better. I know exactly where DelMar is as I live in SoCal too, along with many other members. As a matter of fact we are doing a ride today and you are invited to come along. I know it’s a last second invitation but we would like to meet you anyway. You can find information on the ride here

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=69132.msg959256#msg959256

Let us know if you can make it to the meet up point and we’ll wait for you. If you run too late (30 mins or more), you can meet us at Neptunes Net.

I’m glad to see that you have formal training and that you ride weekly. That is important as it helps you gain more experience. In addition to your weekly rides I suggest some practice. Spend 15 mins before you head out on your weekly ride and practice one or two skills. The basics of head any eye placement as well as slow speed friction zone and rear brake drag. These are things that will help you in slow traffic.

As for splitting lanes, here are a couple of things that come to mind. Look at least 5 cars ahead. I know the temptation may be to look to the sides or at the closer cars but doing that will only pull you into those cars. A quick glance is okay. As you know, where you look is where you go, so practice head and eye placement. Believe it or not, the above suggested parking lot practice will help train your head and eye placement.

Review your riding habits as you may be a bit too aggressive. Proficient riding is about patience. If the gap between cars is not wide enough then wait till it is. Do the things you know will make you visible. Ride with your high beam on and try and it shine into the side mirrors of the cars to help announce your presence. Some cars will make room (I always thank those who do) and some won’t. So wait for the best opportunity. Do not linger between cars, but rather move fluidly to the open spaces between them. DO NOT ride in blind sports. Constantly move to make yourself visible. Imagine yourself to be a football player looking down field (head any eyes up) and running to daylight (moving to the open spaces). Be cognizant of the vehicles. Some trucks have really wide mirrors that stick out and those are probably what you are scuffing against. Be aware of the drivers. If they are distracted they will not see you at all and will wander into you. Lastly, don’t push it. If you are hungry, angry, tired, or carrying a passenger, lane splitting may not be the wise thing at the moment.

These are a few things that came to mind for now. Perhaps others will chime in their suggestions. Take what you like and leave the rest. Post up if you do not understand.

Don’t get too discouraged if some of the postings seem less than cordial. We are a cross cut of society and people being people, have all kinds of personalities. Our familiarity with each other allows us to have some leeway in discussion. Do not let our idle banter amongst each other turn you off. The more we get to know you the more comfortable you will become with us. That is why I invited you on todays ride. If you can’t make it, there will be others in the future for sure. I am going to PM you my phone number. If you can make the ride we can keep in text touch.

Are you military? I ask because of your assignment in Kuwait, and you called me sir. No need to do that here. Please call me Mark.

What’s your name?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 07:39:10 AM »

Lane sharing is a dangerous game.Best thing stay in your own lane,because sometimes a little rub can change into a deadly accident,you go down  and the dump truck behind you makes a pancake out of you.Fred

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 10:13:38 AM »

Lane sharing is a dangerous game.Best thing stay in your own lane,because sometimes a little rub can change into a deadly accident,you go down  and the dump truck behind you makes a pancake out of you.Fred

You bring up a good point Fred. But with all things motorcycle related it's all about how high up the ladder of risk a rider is willing to go. Out here in California lane sharing (what we call splitting lanes) is legal. And yes, I too have been amazed at the riders who zoom between traffic at 80 plus miles an hour. No need to do that if the traffic is moving. But when it is stagnant or a crawling slow and go, lane splitting can be done reasonably safe.

The LAPD has done extensive studies and statistically it is more dangerous to pass through an intersection than to split lanes. The greatest danger to a motorcycle is cross or oncoming traffic. On the freeway the cars are all pointed in the same direction and traveling in the same direction. At an intersection there is oncoming and cross traffic. That is why intersections are known as motorcycle kill zones.

If a rider chooses not to split lanes and to sit in heavy crawling traffic I can respect their choice to avoid risks (although there are also risks in crawling along in traffic too). If a rider wishes to split lanes that's fine too. While it is a bit riskier, if be done prudently it's not as dangerous as it seems. Out here in California a cop won't give you a ticket for lane splitting. He will give you a ticket for unsafe riding.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 10:16:32 AM »

HeadAndEyes,

I just sent you my phone number in a PM. Hope you can make it. We'd love to meet you.

Mark

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 10:18:57 AM »

Head & Eyes, suggest you take Ironhorse up on his offer(s). You couldn't ask for a better response to your question/post.  :) ride safe and often.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 21 queries.