Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wiring harness and hydraulic/brake lines for ape hangers on FXSBSE  (Read 3552 times)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
Wiring harness and hydraulic/brake lines for ape hangers on FXSBSE
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:20:58 AM »

I have settled on the 14" malo bar from buky bars for my bike. I was wondering if you guys know what wiring harness/hydraulic/brake lines I need to look for to extend the necessary wiring/cables for the conversion.

Thanks in advance.

Cam

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
Re: Wiring harness and hydraulic/brake lines for ape hangers on FXSBSE
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 06:06:30 PM »

First, what size risers are you going with?  Are you staying with the stock BO risers?  IMHO, curved risers and apes don't mix, but to each his own.

Here is what I do know.  I am fixing to install 16" Buky Bars, the Odyssey's in particular, with 1.5" tall Chubby risers from Wild1...they're 1.25" in diameter, so they're a better match with the 1.5" thick bars.  These will be on my 2009 CVO Springer, so it's pretty much the same bike as yours minus the obvious differences.  But I digress.

That said, I ordered cables as a kit from a well know vendor (PM if you want the name, but you can avoid that route, with what I know now).

For 16" bars, I needed a 72" hydraulic clutch line.  Stands to reason that a 14" set will be needing a 70" line.  Remember my riser/bar combination.

The part number from Magnum is 31272 for a 72" Hydraulic line with a 35* bango fitting and a hydraulic clutch fitting.  If you choose their regular cable, the banjo fitting will be straight.

I am unable to give you advice on the brake lines since you have ABS and I do not. 

I think a 70" clutch line for you is about +8, and you can find the matching sizes here:

https://www.magnumshielding.com/index.php?route=bike/search/bike&bike_id=1017&color_id=3

Magnum is extremely helpful, and they have a great product.  The sterling chromite II is a nice chromey finish too.

Wiring - I used to buy the extensions from LA Choppers, but recently switched it up to Revzilla. 

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/la-choppers-handlebar-extension-wiring-kit-for-harley-softaildyna-11-13

Also, if you're interested, I have a 70" cable that I'll let go for $60 shipped.  I had to replace it with a longer one when I did my CVO Road Glide conversion.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:24:53 PM »

Great info!!! Thank you very much. Exactly what I was looking for.

I am staying with the stock risers, which are not curved. I do agree with you regarding curved risers and ape hangers.

My concern is the CAN bus and cable extensions. I have heard that the signal aspect of the wiring might be adversely affected if you end up extending the existing cables vs replacing the cables entirely. If that's not the case then I have all the answers I need.

Regarding the clutch cable, is it the same as the existing cable on the CVO, i.e. chrome/braided steel?

Thanks again.

Cam

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 10:07:50 PM »

Happy to help.  It was difficult to find info for my bike....

I forgot to mention, that if you buy a new cable for the clutch from Magnum, just switch the last digit of the PN for your length.

31270 -70
31272 - 72
31274 - 74

You see the pattern.  You can enter that PN on the Magnum website search bar, and pull the info up.

You can also search ebay with the word 'Magnum' and the part number.  There are usually a few places selling them.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 10:11:40 PM »

That wiring link I included earlier should set you straight with the canbus.  People with new Softails have been adding apes for years, so I think you'll be just fine.

Also, the cables from Magnum are braided.  They have several varieties.  The sterling chromite II are very bright and shiny.  Standard stainless are just that.  Black pearl is a black version of stainless and lastly there is plain black, which is vinyl.

I don't believe there is much price difference between the finishes.  The Sterling Chromite II is my go-to cable choice.

Page created in 0.668 seconds with 21 queries.