Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Pet carriers - Thoughts?  (Read 3024 times)

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
Pet carriers - Thoughts?
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:21:58 PM »

I got a Kuryakyn Pet Palace a few weeks ago so that I could take my Dachshund buddy Harley on trips with me.  He actually seems to love it, and I have to keep him from trying to climb up my saddlebags to get into it.  I have a few concerns, and wanted to pick the collective brains of the forum for your thoughts:
  • I know that dogs have sensitive ears, so I wonder if the exhaust noise causes hearing loss
  • I have a soft seat to sit on, but the Pet Palace sits on the luggage rack.  I worry that the ride is really bumpy for him.  I tried to mitigate by putting a seat cushion between the carrier and the rack.
  • I am afraid to ride with the top hole open for fear he will try to jump out while moving.  Even with the internal leash attached, he is able to get partially out of the hole.  Kuryakyn recommends that the leash be attached at all times while the pet is inside, so I kept it on even with the top hole closed.  On a short trip to the post office (2 miles), he got the leash wrapped around his neck, and it could have been tragic.  Lucky it was a short ride.  I have chosen to not put the leash on as long as he does not have a means to get out of the carrier.
  • I got the gray model instead of the black one to try to keep the temperature down, but I wonder how hot it gets inside - even with all four windows open for ventilation.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Pet carriers - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:15:31 AM »

Good questions you bring up. We recently got a little (and I mean damn little) Chihuahua to replace my wife's last Doxie with the plans of taking her on the bike with us. I'm curious about the hearing issue also. We're looking for a papoose type carrier for her though. Don't forget the Doggles  ;D
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:11:47 PM »

My avatar is a photo of Molly sticking out of her Kuryakn Pet Palace.  She loved it.  The only down side was all the people trying to get photos of her while going down the freeway....several nearly run me off the road.

Don't forget the doggles for their eyes.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 01:16:44 PM »

As far as a leash goes, get him a harness, less issues with the neck.  Good looking Dog by the way :2vrolijk_21:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 02:05:08 PM »

If you belong to the "loud pipes saves life's" crowd you will damage the dogs hearing pretty quick.

Wind noice is another concern as far as hearing goes.

I have seen earmuffs for dogs but can't recall where. I think they where names mutt muffs or something similar.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »

Here is a link. We have the same noice problem in GA non pressurized aircrafts.

http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/Retailers.html

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 07:19:44 PM »

Although we have a trailer that our Aussie has ridden in over 25K miles, I use a small indoor/outdoor wireless digital temp gauge that Velcros in the trailer and on a dash pocket.  That way I can monitor the inside trailer temps at all times. They can be purchased online or at some hardware stores for about $20. I fear high temps more than anything else.  You will meet more people taking the dog along on the bike

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 11:51:15 PM »

Good questions you bring up. We recently got a little (and I mean damn little) Chihuahua to replace my wife's last Doxie with the plans of taking her on the bike with us. I'm curious about the hearing issue also. We're looking for a papoose type carrier for her though. Don't forget the Doggles  ;D
If I don't allow him to pop out of the top, no need for Doggles.  All four windows have ventilation mesh screens that would not allow foreign objects through. I looked through them from the inside out, and he has an excellent view of the world without sticking his head out of the hole. Not sure he would tolerate Doggles anyway.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 12:08:05 AM »

As far as a leash goes, get him a harness, less issues with the neck.  Good looking Dog by the way :2vrolijk_21:
Thanks, he is a handsome bugger.  The leash is supplied by Kuryakyn and attaches to a metal ring inside the carrier, and to the collar/harness of the dog.  I think there would be a danger of strangulation with either the collar or harness, depending on how much the dog moves around in the carrier.  Probably more so with the collar, I suppose.  We always walk him with a harness, but have a hard time finding one that fits him snugly enough that it won't fall off of him when he lays down.  I think it is just easier to keep him from sticking his head out, and I won't have to use the leash at all.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 12:12:07 AM »

If you belong to the "loud pipes saves life's" crowd you will damage the dogs hearing pretty quick.
Wind noice is another concern as far as hearing goes.
I have seen earmuffs for dogs but can't recall where. I think they where names mutt muffs or something similar.
Well, I have not taken any steps to make the bike any noisier than stock, other than Fullsac X-pipe.  Stock mufflers still.  I wonder if Kuryakyn has done any studies on the subject?  I should contact them and see what they say.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 12:15:23 AM »

Here is a link. We have the same noice problem in GA non pressurized aircrafts.

http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/Retailers.html
Thanks for the link.  I will probably have the same problem as him tolerating Doggles.  What is your experience?

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 12:17:05 AM »

Although we have a trailer that our Aussie has ridden in over 25K miles, I use a small indoor/outdoor wireless digital temp gauge that Velcros in the trailer and on a dash pocket.  That way I can monitor the inside trailer temps at all times. They can be purchased online or at some hardware stores for about $20. I fear high temps more than anything else.  You will meet more people taking the dog along on the bike

Good suggestion!  Thanks.

ffltjeff

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »

I would love to take them along but not sure they would fit in that little bag
2013 FLHTCUSE8
V&H Power Duals, V&H Monster Ovals, SERT
Progressive 444 shocks, Progressive Cartridge Fork Kit
Windsplitter windshield

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »

I would love to take them along but not sure they would fit in that little bag

No, but their treats would :coolblue:  Nice looking trio :2vrolijk_21:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 01:27:28 PM »

My avatar is a photo of Molly sticking out of her Kuryakn Pet Palace.  She loved it.  The only down side was all the people trying to get photos of her while going down the freeway....several nearly run me off the road.

Don't forget the doggles for their eyes.

If I had something big enough for my Molly I would never be able to leave the house again on the bike without her.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

hogasm

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 04:27:26 PM »

If I had something big enough for my Molly I would never be able to leave the house again on the bike without her.

Guess I might have to deliver one to your house :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:37:10 PM by hogasm »

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 11:11:23 PM »

That's our problem.  Ruthie can tell by which riding gear I'm putting in as to weather I'm taking the Harley or one or the other bikes.  She goes into the bedroom and sulks when I tell her she can't come.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 21 queries.