Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CVO Saddlebag amp  (Read 5212 times)

RG13

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

CVO Saddlebag amp
« on: August 24, 2014, 04:55:30 PM »

I know this topic was written about in the past.  I have a 2013 Roadglide CVO (Roman Gold) and I can't seem to figure out a way to securely mount the amp located in the left saddle bag.  You all know that Harley decided to use doubled-sided tape which doesn't hold.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: CVO Saddlebag amp
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:49:05 PM »

Have you tried velcro?  Clean surfaces with alcohol before applying.   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

RG13

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:12:03 PM »

Thanks for the input.  That's a good idea.  I'm thinking the Velcro we use for the ez pass.  You know its white and has many tiny little hooks.  It really latches on.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 06:31:27 AM »

Have you tried velcro?  Clean surfaces with alcohol before applying.   
Same stuff I use to hold my tour pack liner on the lid. It's loaded with all kinds of stuff and hasn't fallen off yet.

I second the idea of using it.  :2vrolijk_21:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:37:32 AM »

Sorry you are having issues but with my amp slipping loose from the saddlebag, cocking sideways and rubbing a hole in the bag, the only solution the MoCo offered was a new bag and mounting it the same way again....double sided tape.  I looked at many different options to go with when the tape gave away again with this new bag but so far, it's stayed in place after 1 1/2 years.  Guess they cleaned the surface this time and used better tape.  The mounting hardware around the amp had a "rest" made into the saddlebag to help keep it in place but using double sided tape in the first place is pretty lame, IMO.  It's way to heavy an object for that.
Watch using the velcro.  It may allow for the amp to vibrate more.
Really, there are only two options.  One, the MoCo should have designed the saddlebags with a better mount for the amp with maybe a rest on both sides of the bag instead of just one side.  The other option is to keep all the amps under the faring with just wire running to the speaker and the iPod connector.  I like the second option as it would help with the weight issue in the left bag.  Quite a few of our group have gone aftermarket and done the amp relocation route.  If it happens again (tape releasing grip...and I keep a good eye on it) I won't have the warranty to help me so the amp will be removed and the under faring route chosen.
The MoCo stated in my resolution that this was the first time this had happened.  I kinda doubt that but hey, they got me a new bag within a week and covered it (as they should have).
Good luck in whatever option you decide to take with your problem.

RG13

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 07:46:23 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll have to decide btw Velcro or heavy duty double-sided tape (3M).  I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 07:07:29 PM »

Or you could upgrade your stereo, put a 4 channel amp in the front fairing, get the space back in your bag and get a great sounding system!
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 09:24:40 AM »

Did you clean the area well?  I used the double face tape provided and that sucker stuck to the bag and never came off... but I cleaned the area well...
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

RG13

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 09:42:49 AM »

Yeah.  I cleaned the entire area with alcohol.  In fact, I removed the amp from the bag and cleaned the back of the bracket the amp sits in.  I used 4 pieces of 3m DualLock  Velcro, approx. 3 inches long each piece.  Went out riding Sunday and it seems to be holding up nicely.  I think the key is to make sure the surfaces are clean!!!

floridaharleyowner

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 08:13:42 PM »

I have a 2021 Road Glide Limited. I just had Harley Dealer upgrade the speakers and add an amplifier. They mounted it on the back wall of the left side saddlebag using two sided double sticky tape. The tape will not hold it and it comes loose / off. They retried it and cleaned it well but same problem. I then provided them with the locking type velcro that you can get at Home Depot but that didn't work. Any ideas would be helpful.

RG13

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 09:09:19 PM »

I sold the bike back in 2018.  However, I fixed it in 2014 and it never gave me a problem for the remaining 4 yrs that I owned it.  The key is making sure that there is no glue or residue from the double-sided tape left behind.  I cleaned both the back of the amp and the surface on the saddle bag.  The tech at the dealer is not going to really clean the glue.  I did it myself.  Also, I didn't reinstall the amp with  tape when I put it back together.  I used the interlocking Velcro that's used for an ez-pass. That stuff is really heavy duty.  It held the weight of the amp and tolerated the heat that the amp generates.   Like I said, for the 4 remaining yrs that I had the bike, the amp was mounted perfectly and never came loose.  Again you have to really clean the back of the amp and the area on the saddle bag with ALCOHOL.  I actually posted a message after I fixed the issue.  A mechanic at the dealer is not going to spent the time cleaning the surface thoroughly.  My 2018 RG CVO also has the amp in the left saddle bag, but it's mounting much better.  Never came loose.  I guess the Harley factory figured out the correct way to mount it.  Good Luck.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 07:31:03 PM »

3M sells a primer for the 2-sided tape. You use it  in automotive applications. Best application for you is the single use packets, I have bought them from Amazon in three packs. Each packet contains a sponge saturated in the primer. which is clear.
I have Never had anything come loose when using it, including the original Escalade lower 18" wide mouldings that ALL fell off. Clean the area with prep-solv, 50/50 alcohol/distilled water or similar. Let it dry then apply the primer to the bag & the amp before applying the tape. I would recommend the 3M Automotive emblem/moulding grade tape, most of the time it's gray in color.
Remember once you stick it, when using the primer, You had better have it where you want it because it is THERE and will not move.

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 21 queries.