Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: How Far Do You Follow Your GPS?  (Read 17613 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
How Far Do You Follow Your GPS?
« on: November 13, 2014, 03:22:20 PM »

Call me old fashioned (though I prefer "old school") but I disdain GPS on my bike.  I like to know where I'm going rather than have some electronic voice tell me where to go.  I've had some great laughs disagreeing with companions whose GPS was telling them to go against street signs, down a dirt road to find a gas station, or even to ride south when we could see our destination to the east.   When traveling, I enjoy reading the map, either paper or on line, ahead of time.  Yes, you can still get paper maps.   AAA gives them out for free.    ;)   

So,  today I see this story from Milwaukee:  GPS mix up leads semi-truck to become stuck on bike path.  See the link for a video.    :huepfenlol2:    Following his GPS, a truck driver drove his rig over a walkway and it got stuck on a footbridge...  in broad daylight!  

Here's another example of a professional trucker getting stuck for following GPS: 

So, my somewhat tongue-in-cheek question is, "Just how much do you rely on your GPS?   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
Re: How Far Do You Follow Your GPS?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 03:35:15 PM »

They are handy Greg, but blind obedience to them isn't the answer.  If it is a relatively straightforward route I trust it, but if there are tricky pickups (like in the mountains) I markup a map and check it out on Google Earth if I have the time. As always, local knowledge is best so when possible, I'll ask other riders when I stop for fuel or a meal.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 04:05:12 PM »

Before AK Andy got a gps he:
Led a group through a grade school out door picnic table area
Led a group to the wrong State
Led a group 1/2 mile through a field

Not quit as exciting following him now that he uses a GPS   :nervous:

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 05:24:50 PM »

Yeah Greg, but just think of all the great people we met who stopped to help us out with 3 gallons of gas.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »

I think I would enjoy riding with AK !
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 07:31:33 PM »

When we want to go on a trip I plan ahead by reviewing PAPER maps ahead of time and then using GOOGLE maps or TYRE to plan out a route and load it into the GPS.

If we want to go on an adventure I'll follow the GPS's directions......especially in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine where there are many "seasonal" roads (which is a fancy name for unmaintained dirt roads) - of course some of them make for excellent short cuts - except during a rain storm, or immediately after one when your trying to get to your destination...
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

barrhill

• barrhil
  • Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 CVO RK gold and copper
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO RGC maple
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO RGC mako shark fade
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 07:44:28 PM »

I always use a map (Harley road atlas )  in combination with a gps but never trust it blindly .
also  getting threw a large strange city , ETA , elevation and distance to next gas station are very handy  ::)

also is there a new Harley road atlas to ever come out ?
2019 road glide Mako 2012 road glide  in maple , GMR 117,600 gmr cams , fullsac pipes and slipons , S&S crank and oil pump , TTS ,Barnett scorpion , 58mm oval HPI ,DD7   2008 CVO road king in copper with 16 apes ,fullsac baffles, SE tuner

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 08:04:28 PM »

I always use a map (Harley road atlas )  in combination with a gps but never trust it blindly .
also  getting threw a large strange city , ETA , elevation and distance to next gas station are very handy  ::)

also is there a new Harley road atlas to ever come out ?

If your a member of HOG they send one out every year, at least they have so far....
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 08:10:24 PM »

GPS' are for direction challenged people. Having said that, I have used one a few times in the truck when delivering Edible Arrangements. I like maps and study road atlases before I travel on the bike, no GPS on the bike. I do have a Navigation App on my phone.
Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 08:16:44 PM »

GPS' are for direction challenged people. Having said that, I have used one a few times in the truck when delivering Edible Arrangements. I like maps and study road atlases before I travel on the bike, no GPS on the bike. I do have a Navigation App on my phone.
Mike
 :drink:
Are those of the liquid kind? :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 08:18:49 PM »

Last winter up here in the north, I towed 2 cars off 2 different snowmobile trails. The trails are at the end of what we call a class 6 road in NH. They are roads that are on the maps but in the winter they are not maintained or passable by car or truck. They turn into snowmobile trails. Both of these folks used their GPS units to navigate and weren't bright enough to see that it was going to end bad!!! One guy had a subaru all wheel drive wagon and made it almost a mile in before he went no further!!! Gotta love those GPS'.
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

mark

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 08:25:19 PM »

I rely on my GPS on planned trips by plotting the ride on the HD ride planner.  It's much easier than trying to recall each turn or writing them down on your arm, taping paper to your console, etc.  Technology, embrace it.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »

Traveling on interstates and larger highways, road signs and a compas will do. Running a few dozen different two lane back roads in a day I use my GPS. A roll chart would suffice too for those that remember or have done back woods racing, but you have to keep re setting your trip odo.  ;D

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 09:19:33 PM »

I use the GPS (iPhone) quite a bit when traveling. Didn't use any paper maps on our big trip last year, or the last 5-6 years for that matter.

The GPS is a great navigation tool, not a substitute for common sense...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 01:54:16 AM »

This is my second bike with gps that I turned off, also had an '09 Silverado with it and never used that either. I'm old school and like it that way, gps is technology I could care less about and never will. I bought my bike to get lost on and don't care to hear some idiotic voice interrupting my tunes.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 09:12:30 AM »

My GPS and I have a love/hate relationship. I seldom use it for navigation, most of the time it resides in the tour pack. When I arrive in some small town that happened to be on my way to nowhere I get it out to check for eats or gas stations but always end up arguing with it when it tries to direct me to a destination. I can't depend on it to get me home either, it wants to take me in a series of decreasing circles then shuts off trying to find my house only to acknowledge that we're home when I pull in the garage. In some ways it's like being married again but I have the luxury of ignoring it without consequence.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 09:28:20 AM »

I follow my GPS right in to the water  :o
DND

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 09:42:06 AM »

I like using GPS when I travel - as Garmin points out nobody should rely on one means of navigation and having maps or an atlas available and an idea of how/where you want to go is always a good idea. Obviously it isn’t required locally where you know the road systems. I don’t care to have it talk to me when on two wheels or four so keep it muted unless verbal directions are needed. Functions like time/distance to destination are useful for planning purposes on a long drive. GPS can take you on some strange routes if you allow it, but it’s always gotten me to the destination in the end result.

SanJuanRon

• Full CVO Member
  • Way Up High In The Mountains and Down By The Sea!
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 10:02:32 AM »

I have seen 18 wheel semi trucks and trucks pulling boats attempt to go over Cinnamon or Engineer Passes (12,500+ elevation, tough 4WD dirt roads) in the SW Colo. Mtns. as a result of blindly following their GPS.  Both didn't make it far.  Also, college girls in a Volkswagon bug that needed rescuing among others. All trying to take a "shortcut" from Lake City to Silverton or Ouray.  SJ Ron :)
2011.5 FLHTCUSE6, Candy Cobalt & Twilight Blue, HCC 14" Apes, V&H 2:1 Pro Pipe Chrome, Stage 1
2009 FLSTN, Tango Orange, Carlini 17" Flying Apes & High Roller Risers/Air Cover, V&H True Dual Pipes/Fishtails, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed
2005 FLSTCI, Vivid Black, Wild 1 18" Psycho Apes, V&H Big Shot Long Pipes, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed, 21/18 Sinister Wheels

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 10:14:54 AM »

I like both maps and gps, and each has a specific use.

The map is great at breakfast, when over coffee you can look and get an overview of what you will be doing that day. I love seeing the topography, little towns, all that. While "take the 405 to the 101 to the 126 exit main and go three blocks" is accurate, it does not help with an overview, especially for one who is unfamiliar with the area. You may miss too many places you might want to stop in on along the way.

The gps is great in the moment. I'm lost, need gas or food, and would prefer not to pull over, get out the map and reorient. I can search and get corrected turn by turn to get there all from the saddle. With my Bluetooth helmet, I can call the hotel to check on availability while enroute.

I like that you can use gps in the pouring rain, where a map might get soggy pulled over to the side of the road unfolded on your tourpack. I like that a map shows distance and time lengths. I like that the gps can give you traffic or road closures (if you update). I like that a map can be shown to a non English speaking person who can then interpretate and give directions.

At the end of the day, I like to sit down with the map and see how much we did or didn't do. I like that maps don't crash, wig out, or need a charge. I like that a map does not require a cord to charge overnight.

I like and use both.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

ultrarider123

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 10:24:19 AM »

Greg, to answer your question for me, I don't follow a GPS and don't have one.  I'll look at and carry a map and remember my route as I ride.  If I forget or not sure, I'll stop and check the map.  May be "old school" or something to that effect but I like doing it that way and It's worked well for many a trip.  For a map, I use my yearly HOG membership book.  Has worked well, small to pack, easy to navigate through and doesn't require batteries or power to operate.....

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 12:57:47 PM »

Like many have said, there is nothing like a good old paper map spread out in front of you to get a good overview of available / planned routes.  I use them for that purpose.  But then I drill down to find the back roads that are much more interesting than the main highways and god forbid the interstates!  Some of these roads are not shown on paper maps and for sure many are not on the HOG atlas that is sent out yearly.

I make my routes on the computer tweaking them until I am satisfied and then save and transfer them to my gps.  I find this makes for a much more enjoyable ride since I don't have to worry since because I know in advance when my next turn is coming up and I don't have to look so hard for road signs.  I can enjoy my ride and pay much more attention to the road conditions, traffic, etc., since I have a navigator on board.

I seldom if ever use the gps just to take me from point A to point B.  But using it the way I do it is a wonderful tool.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 03:04:14 PM »

I ride with three other guys that are old school map guys......and guess who leads the pack..the guy with the GPS...and during breakfast and lunch I will have my garmin with me entering/reviewing our next route.
Not anymore though....can't take the infotainment gps in the restaurant...time for me to move back into the pack.

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 03:19:26 PM »

Always good to have a back-up.....
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 03:21:17 PM »

I know a couple of people who need that!     :huepfenlol2:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »

Always good to have a back-up...

Or two or three...  :2vrolijk_21: :orange:

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 04:37:07 PM »

:DOh Lord I love that backup pic..LOL Who even needs to  see the road with all that. I use a paper map and gazetteer to get ideas but will get detail from google maps on the computer or smart phone. I will actually use the google map to do complete fly over of a ride and can even see the painted lines on the roads that are paved. I love and collect paper maps. Half the fun of a ride for me is the route planning and calculations. I only use the system on the bike to see the next turn ahead and get slowed down for it.

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »

I think for those of us who grew up without a gps (or cell phones or computers), we like the hands on feel of a map. Me personally I keep my gps on my bike at  all times with just the screen on so I can see road names, and also so I can grab a quick direction if I need to, or for a place to eat. I also keep a waterproof street map in my tourpak and I also will plan trips. If we're going to a new destination I will typically spend hours on bing maps and find the roads I want to take and create a custom program into my gps. And even if I don't have a route planned, I do prefer to look online at the areas we will travel to just to get an idea of the roads and areas. I guess I just don't like leaving a lot of things to chance. This works best when riding alone. It seems to me when we're with others in our group, very few have any plan at all, they just wing it, which is okay at times as well, but not if I am trying to get somewhere
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »

Russ, that photo looks like it was taken down around your area.....do you personally know the person that owns that wing?  Just curious how tall he is?  I mean he'd have to be pretty damn tall to see over all of that.

OK, I'll fess up.....my Super Duty has a GPS designed for RVs with satellite traffic and weather and lifetime maps (enter your width, length, heigh, weight, etc. and it'll direct you around any restricted roads, bridges, etc.), a dash cam, radar detector, two data jacks, three electrical recepticles and a 120 v recepticle.  I'm good to go and take what ever electronics, computers, ipods, ipads, whatever......and use it all at once.  But truth be known, I'm still technology challenged. :nervous:  But I did break down and buy an iphone recently and I'm just learning to talk/text.   :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 06:28:09 PM »

JC......My cousin (rides a wing) sent me the picture a bit ago....not sure the history of it....but does look as if the rider would need to be around six foot nineteen to see over that stack!!
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »

:-\

Just recently bought a Garmin GPS unit.  Tried it out locally,  by bringing up local places to eat on the menu.  I selected a nearby Deli in Calabash,  N.C. which I knew exactly how to get to..........the unit directed me to turn left at a curve that would have put me into the intercoastal waterway and that is where it suggested this Deli was..........which was really another two and half miles away. :confused5:

I also noted what is likely a (common problem) when you are navigating strange roads.  The unit will tell you a name of upcoming crossroads,  so you will know where to turn assuming you already know the name of the road.  PROBLEM IS.......
if at that particular intersection,  the road going West is named XYZ,  while the (very same road) going East has another name completely.   You see the name of the upcoming road,  and it is NOT the one you are looking for,  but oooooooopps,  it was indeed the one you wanted,  but the unit (does not) give you both names..............Which I believe is a shortcoming that should be resolved. :nixweiss:

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 10:26:58 PM »

For sure there are the occasional bad stories you hear about gps taking you to a dead end street the wrong way. But for every one of those you hear there are thousands or hundred of thousands of travelers including bikers getting to their destinations safely without missing turns, fumbling with maps and not having to stop and ask directions. I do not use mine unless I am traveling to a destination that I have never been to before. When I do use it I do not worry about reading signs for miles to a city our even what city or state I am in. I just enjoy the ride and the scenery turning when instructed. How much more easier can it get? And the best part is after riding all day to parts unknown, getting lost not knowing where you are...instead of stopping and asking where you are or pulling out some old, archaic out dated map or worse yet riding until you are nearly out of gas...all you have to do is hit the home icon and you are on your way home from anywhere. Simple and safe. You map users need to learn how to relax and enjoy your ride a little more...map free.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 07:18:22 AM »

Heck, I can't get to my pole barn without my GPS. I use it for everything. Even when on a 100 mi drive to the kids, I like to know how far it is to the next turn.  It just keeps me tuned in.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2014, 07:47:09 AM »

GPS data is only as good as the one using it. Kinda funny hearing tales about following down trails and such then blaming the GPS.  :drink:

You can always use the data from them to see where ya been.  :orange:

TN

Wut the hell was that maneuver

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2014, 08:24:03 PM »

I use my GPS all the Time when traveling.  Nice in big cities to know which lane to be in, and how many lanes exit and so on.  I usually program my planned route into the GPS.  Have not tired this yet with the new infotainment GPS.

Also like couple times in Sturgis, I program day trip loops for each day, and load them into the GPS.  Now I do not have to watch so hard for signs and such.

Use the map to plan what I load into the GPS.  Great for finding food in the town you in for the day or nigh.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2014, 12:16:46 AM »

Besides being able to find the nearest restaurants, hotels and gas stations here is a true emergency scenario that I have used the gps for on more than one occasion. I am riding somewhere I am not familiar with then all of a sudden traffic comes to a complete halt. Why??? It doesn't matter but it is not moving. So all you have to do without stopping and getting off your bike and opening some damn map is turn on your gps. Right there in front of you on the screen is all of the local side streets that you can use to continue along your journey without getting lost thereby allowing you to bypass all of the backedup and stopped traffic. Then after you have bypassed the stopped traffic area you just follow the mapped roads shown on the gps to get back on your original road. You do not have to program it for such an emergency...just turn it on. So while everyone else is still back sitting in traffic I am continuing along my journey.
How much more easier can it get???
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:22:08 AM by 2 ROSE »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2014, 12:57:27 PM »

Besides being able to find the nearest restaurants, hotels and gas stations here is a true emergency scenario that I have used the gps for on more than one occasion. I am riding somewhere I am not familiar with then all of a sudden traffic comes to a complete halt. Why??? It doesn't matter but it is not moving. So all you have to do without stopping and getting off your bike and opening some damn map is turn on your gps. Right there in front of you on the screen is all of the local side streets that you can use to continue along your journey without getting lost thereby allowing you to bypass all of the backedup and stopped traffic. Then after you have bypassed the stopped traffic area you just follow the mapped roads shown on the gps to get back on your original road. You do not have to program it for such an emergency...just turn it on. So while everyone else is still back sitting in traffic I am continuing along my journey.
How much more easier can it get???
The real time traffic updates in Google Maps (iPhone5) are great! It will ask if you want to reroute based on traffic on the intended route. 
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2014, 10:29:28 AM »

Been using GPS's since they were first available on boats, wouldn't be without them.

Have been using the same type Garmin portables since the 276 series came out. Using my current 478 since March 07.

Wouldn't travel without it. For me it makes traveling more enjoyable and adds the ability to find new places. GLB-GPS

Neat thing about the series I have is you can use it to drive right to and into the water  :2vrolijk_21:

MV 2013

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 06:56:40 PM »

Neat thing about the series I have is you can use it to drive right to and into the water  :2vrolijk_21:

Hmmm...never tried that.  I am not sure if Rose can swim.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »

Apparently, the new Rushmore GPS is working very well!  Saw this this morning at my local dealership.   :oops:    :huepfenlol2:

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:12:52 PM by GregKhougaz »

Sawyer Brown

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2014, 05:56:31 PM »

Apparently, the new Rushmore GPS is working very well!  Saw this this morning at my local dealership.   :oops:    :huepfenlol2:

:ROFLOL:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2014, 06:10:05 PM »

I can vouch for portholes GPS and his ability to use one. He took us all over MV on roads I'm sure were not known to many people.  I would have been lost if I was by myself even with my GPS.  As TN stated most the time it is user issues.  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2014, 09:18:07 PM »

I use a Garmin almost 100% of the time even when I am very familiar with the roads. 
Do not misunderstand I am very direction savvy when it comes to road travel, but the GPS gives me so much more freedom of travel. 
Most of the routes I ride are preplanned for Motorcycle routes using google earth, Maps and map source. It would be a major mistake for me to try to follow a complicated back road route without GPS.
I never want to stop for directions or map reading, it disturbs the flow.

I ride 80% on secondary roads and find the reduced traffic and scenery so much better.

Can I get around without a GPS? obsolutely

Do I ride without turning the GPS on? No   has become a security blanket to explore.

I do not see a GPS as an accessory, but is required equipment.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 01:06:14 AM »

Keats I do agree with everything you say. I am thinking within our lifetime you will not be able to buy a new car without a gps/communication system. It will become just as important or maybe more important than the radio. Maybe on all touring motorcycles also.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 01:38:36 PM »

Keats I do agree with everything you say. I am thinking within our lifetime you will not be able to buy a new car without a gps/communication system. It will become just as important or maybe more important than the radio. Maybe on all touring motorcycles also.
I also agree.  Since I've been using a gps (about ten years) it has become as integral a part of riding as my protective gear - I just don't leave home without it.  I do not view it as a crutch but like Keats it adds to the enjoyment of the riding experience since I do not have to be concerned about searching for upcoming turns - and on those secondary roads they are sometimes not well marked and / or easy to see until you are right upon them.  Using the gps  adds to my feeling of comfort and safety.

I use paper maps when planning routes and then all the other tools mentioned.  I've been able to travel on some awesome roads I'd never have found if I relied on paper maps alone.

IBA member # 45520

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2014, 04:35:16 PM »

Very useful in the mountains helping to anticipate full or partial switchbacks.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2014, 08:01:49 PM »

Very useful in the mountains helping to anticipate full or partial switchbacks.

OWL
Most definitely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBA member # 45520

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2014, 08:17:08 AM »

Not impressed with the Rushmore GPS on my 15.

We were on US 27 in GA, I entered my home address and it tried to take me over to 411, about 50 miles East of my home to get home.  60 miles longer than the going straight up US 27.  Tried fastest route, shortest route and scenic all routed me East of Chattanooga way out of my way, I was west of Chattanooga and was going to a town west of there also.

My old garmin 660 Garmin does a much better job or routing so far.

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2014, 03:30:42 PM »

that IS pretty bizarre Dave, I punched Carrollton GA to Powells Crossroads into MS Streets and although it did route to I-75 it was nowhere near 411.  I use a 660 also and create a bunch of waypoints when pre-planning but on the fly I sometimes get some crazy routes too.  Are there route preferences or user preferences in that system? "Avoid construction" can cause some goofy results, but the one I like is "Avoid u-turns" so when I choose to go "off-plan" it quickly re-routes me rather than constantly telling me to "turn around".

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2014, 08:23:23 AM »

that IS pretty bizarre Dave, I punched Carrollton GA to Powells Crossroads into MS Streets and although it did route to I-75 it was nowhere near 411.  I use a 660 also and create a bunch of waypoints when pre-planning but on the fly I sometimes get some crazy routes too.  Are there route preferences or user preferences in that system? "Avoid construction" can cause some goofy results, but the one I like is "Avoid u-turns" so when I choose to go "off-plan" it quickly re-routes me rather than constantly telling me to "turn around".

I was trying avoid HWY, knowing full well 27 was not a high way to make it run me up the road I was on.  But it sent me 50 miles east.  So I unchecked avoid hwy and it ran me up 75, about 30 miles east.  Added and removed other avoidances.  Still routed me east.  Only if I put in a city west of the TN river would it route me west of the river.  My phone routed me correct as does my 660.

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2014, 09:17:25 AM »

Not impressed with the Rushmore GPS on my 15.

We were on US 27 in GA, I entered my home address and it tried to take me over to 411, about 50 miles East of my home to get home.  60 miles longer than the going straight up US 27.  Tried fastest route, shortest route and scenic all routed me East of Chattanooga way out of my way, I was west of Chattanooga and was going to a town west of there also.

My old garmin 660 Garmin does a much better job or routing so far.

That sucks!!! Hope they get that crap fixed before I buy one. Not until 2016 I am thinking...
Stay Safe...not lost.

srnoyes

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2014, 08:48:21 PM »

I like my Garmin Zumo way better than the onboard system. I was reading on one of the other topics that there is a rumor that HD is working on ditching the current company and going to Garmin. I really hope that they are working on that. Don't get me wrong, the Zumo has it's own problems. I can't count the times when I tried to use the system on the fly and it routed me down gravel roads. I don't understand why a GPS specifically designed for M/Cs would send you down a gravel road especially when you have it in M/C mode and not Automobile. I don't mind being on some gravel when I'm by my self or a couple riders but not when I'm leading a 10-15 bike formation with several inexperienced people. One of the know it all expert everything's about lost his mind and had a melt down. LOL One of the new people stopped and picked up a rock to keep as a memento of their first time on gravel!
2014 CVO Limited - Present
2009 Road King Classic 2009-2014
1991 Yamaha Virago 1991-1993
1983 Yamaha Maxim 1983-1989

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2014, 12:14:47 PM »

I once followed the GPS down a road that turned into a logging road in a national forest. After about 5 miles in I decided I was to far to want to turn around.

Another 15 miles came with washouts, cliffs, tree limbs, ditches and rocks.

I did get threw it, but If it had rained they would still be looking for me. 
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »

Being an old Surveyor... I have 'Navigation' disabled on my GPS, unless I just want to check the 'road distance' between point A and B.

I use the display as an electronic map, showing me where I am, vs. telling me where to go.  I must say too, that on 'major' roads and highways, the little Speed Limit sign comes in quite handy.  And, when the speed limit changes, it's almost always updated within a few feet of the posted sign on the side of the road.  Doesn't do you any good in Construction Zones though.  8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2014, 08:00:51 AM »

Being an old Surveyor... I have 'Navigation' disabled on my GPS, unless I just want to check the 'road distance' between point A and B.

I use the display as an electronic map, showing me where I am, vs. telling me where to go.  I must say too, that on 'major' roads and highways, the little Speed Limit sign comes in quite handy.  And, when the speed limit changes, it's almost always updated within a few feet of the posted sign on the side of the road.  Doesn't do you any good in Construction Zones though.  8)

Yea I love the speed limit feature on my Garmin 660, but I have not been able to find that on the new Rushmore infotainment system.  Sure wish it had it.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2015, 02:56:52 PM »

OK,  so I've been enjoying the navigation system in my 2015 Infotainment system.  Then I read:

Woman burned alive in crash after GPS leads driver off demolished bridge    :nervous:    :nervous:

Sawyer Brown

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2015, 04:03:38 PM »

I think he bricked the pedal and "drove" her off. Closed for 6 years, barricaded, cones, barrels ..........

MV 2013

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2015, 04:20:08 PM »

I use my GPS all the Time when traveling.  Nice in big cities to know which lane to be in, and how many lanes exit and so on.  I usually program my planned route into the GPS.  Have not tired this yet with the new infotainment GPS.

i live in a small town.  i might hit 4 traffic lights on my morning 30 mile ride to work.  so when i go somewhere like houston, it's nice that the gps lets me know that i need to be in the left lane far enough in advance that i don't have to try and cross 6 lanes of traffic in 30 feet when it's bumper to bumper traffic.....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2015, 05:41:45 PM »

Have 2 GPS's, one on the front and one that sits behind me. Guess which one is right :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2015, 06:16:57 PM »

I would say the (back) or behind source just has to be the "right" one. :nixweiss:

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2015, 07:22:24 PM »

I would say the (back) or behind source just has to be the "right" one. :nixweiss:

Yeah, no question, they are ALWAYS right...

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2015, 07:59:33 PM »

Yeah, no question, they are ALWAYS right...

I'm perfectly happy, and smart enough, to let 'em think so  ;)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2015, 08:24:42 PM »

I was part of a test in 04 for Garmin usage by the company I work for. It went well and EVERY work day since then I have used one for 4 -5 destinations in a large area of Florida, these have inc oe units as wel as Garmin and I have found thru working with others something I agree totally with, If a GPS takes you to someplace incorrect, or down a road type you are not wanting to go on, It is almost always the person who programmed it's fault, He either set it  wrong when he bought it, or he just programmed it wrong. I Have NEVER in 11 years had one take me to the incorrect place and the fault not be MINE. I love them, use them as I said Every day including weekends no matter where we go. Not just for the directions but also for the now supplied traffic info. Before I leave home or one destination going to another destination I hit the traffic button first, Saves me a measurable amount of time. GPS is one of the hightlights of our current century and like cell phones has changed the way we live.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2015, 09:13:10 PM »

My son has played football at Central Missouri for the last 4 years. I have never missed a game that he has started so every Friday for the last 2 1/2 years I have jumped on a plane and flown somewhere (away games) that I have never been before and than drove back to Warrensburg MO after the game with him sometimes up to 10 hours away. I have detached my 665 from my bike each time and used the suction mount to get me to all these places and it has never been wrong and is amazingly accurate on what time I will arrive even over hundreds of miles.
Alan

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »

Funny thing happened to my dad last week. He took his lady friend to visit Callaway Gardens, southwest of Atlanta. They were driving through looking at all the azaleas and flowers in bloom in his Lincoln Town car when they decided it was time for lunch. Not sure of their exact location and how best to get to the nearest restaurant he consulted his GPS. Following the directions he was given he took the first right turn which just happened to be a cart path on the golf course! Somehow he managed to cross a "really small bridge", in his words, and nearly ran head on into a golf cart approaching the bridge from the other side before he realized his mistake.  :confused5: I'm sure there were some laughs about that encounter at the 19th hole.

Guess it's about time to have that talk with the old man, he's 86 but I know he won't give up his keys without a fight.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2015, 10:52:10 AM »

I've been known to be led astray a time or two.

But that was long before gps and usually had something to do with the female persuasion.  Faded memories.....but I used to love getting kidnapped!  :bananarock:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2015, 10:53:30 AM »

...   Following the directions he was given he took the first right turn which just happened to be a cart path on the golf course! Somehow he managed to cross a "really small bridge", in his words, and nearly ran head on into a golf cart approaching the bridge from the other side before he realized his mistake.  :confused5:  I'm sure there were some laughs about that encounter at the 19th hole.

Guess it's about time to have that talk with the old man, he's 86 but I know he won't give up his keys without a fight.

Sounds a lot like the poor trucker in the first post!  Not sure I would blame Dad too much.     :nixweiss:

Sawyer Brown

ultrarider123

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2015, 10:58:09 AM »

The '13 335 we just acquired has GPS/Navigation and the first vehicle I've had that came with it and the first time I've used an "electronic" map...Not too shabby.....

.....although being a male, I really don't need a map as I always know where I'm going and never get lost..... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: ::) ;D :orange: :bananarock: :rolleyes4: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 21 queries.