Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cam Chain Tensioners  (Read 5441 times)

Bagger

Cam Chain Tensioners
« on: January 01, 2007, 01:00:25 PM »

I can't remember in which thread I first spoke of cam chain tensioners, or when it was exactly, but I do remember mentioning that I'd post pictures of the cam chain tensioners which came out of my old 02 Ultra at 37K miles (that's odometer miles).  I replaced the original tensioners around 21K miles.  These are the replacement tensioners roughly 16K miles after installation.  The only reason the cam closet was opened was to upgrade the motor to 95ci, and install Crane Cams HTC 310-2 grind cams.  This is the condition of the cam chain tensioners after roughly 16K miles.  I gotta wonder if they would have lasted another 5K miles.

Bagger

Re: Cam Chain Tensioners
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 01:02:07 PM »

Another picture of the same tensioners from a different angle.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 01:27:15 PM »

Mine came out somewhere in the high teens.  I think it was 18k and change but don't remember for sure.  My worse one was even uglier.  No way it would have gone to 25k.  I doubt it would have lived to 22.5k.  Good catch on yours here [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] !

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 03:45:49 PM »

That don't look so good for only 16K miles.  I posted em on another thread, but hey why not here too. ;) My original tensioners after 25,500 miles on the odo, ridden hard and put away wet......I'd easily of run em another 25K without thinkin about em.....but new cams with gear drives were callin my name.  [smiley=vrolijk_6.gif]

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 06:00:36 PM »

Bagger,
  Just a suggestion.........Check your oil pump.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Bagger

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 06:03:12 PM »

Bagger,
  Just a suggestion.........Check your oil pump.  Later--HUBBARD

Hubbard..........that was done..........a year ago.  I no longer own that machine.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 06:07:23 PM »

Hubbard..........that was done..........a year ago.  I no longer own that machine.

Alllllllllllrighty, then.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Bagger

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 06:18:28 PM »

Alllllllllllrighty, then.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] Later--HUBBARD
[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  As mentioned before, I really do miss that old Girl.  She was a really good one.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 08:15:20 PM »

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  As mentioned before, I really do miss that old Girl.  She was a really good one.

We gonna trade pics back and forth all day????  I had an '04 in the Luxury Blue.....I only miss the tourpak though.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 10:12:38 PM »

Wow, your inside tensioner (bottom one in the first photo) has a pretty deep groove in it.  Here are mine at 15,000 miles (inside tensioner on the left):

More info. in this thread: http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1161651927

« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 10:14:16 PM by 103tHunDer »

Bagger

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 10:31:19 PM »

We gonna trade pics back and forth all day????  I had an '04 in the Luxury Blue.....I only miss the tourpak though.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Yeah, we could do that.  Here's one from March 2005, when we were still in Enterprise, AL.  There's Renea acting goofy.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »

Cam tensioners are a crap shoot. I have seen them with 11k down to the metal keeper and I have seen them at 20K that did not look too bad. Its the luck of the draw. For what its worth the bikes that have been running a synthetic oil in them from new typically had less wear.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 10:59:29 PM by hd-dude »

Bagger

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 11:15:56 PM »

Cam tensioners are a crap shoot. I have seen them with 11k down to the metal keeper and I have seen them at 20K that did not look too bad. Its the luck of the draw. For what its worth the bikes that have been running a synthetic oil in them from new typically had less wear.

Like all MoCo bikes save for CVO bikes, the Ultra shipped with fossil oil.  I converted to synthetic.  That second set of tensioners saw nothing but AMSOIL from day one of their installed life.  Would have been interesting to see them had I still been running fossil oil.........if they would have made it that far.  OUCH!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 11:18:34 PM »

Hey Jim, Happy New Year. How are the '07s different? People are saying that the '07s shouldn't have this problem, due to a different design. Is this correct? Thanks Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 11:26:34 PM »

Hey Jim, Happy New Year. How are the '07s different? People are saying that the '07s shouldn't have this problem, due to a different design. Is this correct? Thanks Hoist!  8-)

happy new year to you as well!

Yes, All the 07's and the 06 dyna's use a hydraulic tensioner and a different tensioner shoe. Time will tell if they got it right.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 11:27:01 PM by hd-dude »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.