Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cam Chain Tensioners  (Read 5440 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Cam Chain Tensioners
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 11:34:18 PM »

happy new year to you as well!

Yes, All the 07's and the 06 dyna's use a hydraulic tensioner and a different tensioner shoe. Time will tell if they got it right.

Thank you. And I guess I'll help keep everyone appraised whether they did get it right or not. I'm not planning on touching them, as you know, for 2 Years! ;) Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 09:08:24 AM »

Yeah, we could do that.  Here's one from March 2005, when we were still in Enterprise, AL.  There's Renea acting goofy.

I have one of a goofy woman too......oops...I mean my wife.....back to topic, as I said the tensioners on the '06 were great at 25K miles, if anybody wants em I'll sell em cheap. ;)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 04:02:41 PM »

Does anyone see the irony in the attached ad for a local dealer, or am I the only one who finds it to be typically Harley to take a factory defect and turn it into a profit opportunity?  Gotta love the chutzpah.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 04:14:36 PM »

Does anyone see the irony in the attached ad for a local dealer, or am I the only one who finds it to be typically Harley to take a factory defect and turn it into a profit opportunity?  Gotta love the chutzpah.

Jerry

Just shows you how many people are buying HD's now, that don't have a friggin' clue. They'll get plenty of guys paying to do this. Don't forget the replacement tensioner job they'll sell you after they inspect and find them worn! You wouldn't dare put it back together like this, would you? ;) Hoist! 8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 04:16:49 PM »

Does it surprise me? No!  Is it amazing that the MOCO is allowed to get away with what is basically a defective part, or at least one that they should tell you is a part of a maintenance schedule up front, and then bend you over when everything goes to hell if the things come apart on you in BFE somewhere...YES!  What a bunch of crap that we are forced to spend fairly big bucks to fix what should be a recall.

At least on timing belts in cars you know up front it's going to be a fairly major expense every 60K or so.  

And ONLY 200 bucks to "inspect" them, huh?  What a bargain... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 04:29:04 PM »

Terry, $200 for Dyna's and Softtails, $250 for Touring.  Must take another $50 worth of labor to remove the floorboard, I guess.  And Hoist, you are right on with your comments as well.  "Well, they're not totally shot yet, but since we've got her torn down don't you want us to put new parts in just to be safe?  And since we're in there, you probably should replace the oil pump too."  Yup, reminds me of the "free" trans inspections (Aamco) from many years ago, guaranteed to result in an overhaul after showing the customer all the trash in the oil pan.

One of the things that amazes me is that there hasn't been a class action lawsuit yet over these lousy parts.  All I can figure is that most people must be buying the 5 or 7 year service contract, so it only costs them $50 to get them replaced and the engine repaired.  Of course, if you look at total cost it really cost them over $1500 when you add the price of the contract.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bagger

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 04:36:13 PM »

No big surprise.  MoCo is designing in future revenue.  Still doesn't make it right..........but after all these years, it is typical and expected.  Man, do they have us wrapped or what?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 04:47:04 PM »

No big surprise.  MoCo is designing in future revenue.  Still doesn't make it right..........but after all these years, it is typical and expected.  Man, do they have us wrapped or what?

This is designed for the "know nothing, bring it to the dealer for service" guy! Anyone into HD's for years already knows how much of their chit needs replacing with better quality, better performing parts. Has been forever. But years ago, you had to make the parts too! New people into HD's think all you do is look in a catalog and get anything you need. Nowadays, that's mostly true. They're marketing to anyone, so first timers today have no clue what it took to own an HD years ago. Everyone's spoiled today and complains about the smallest thing. HD Newbies today could never have ridden a Harley years ago with all the problems. Once you're hooked on "potato, potato" you're not riding anything else! They know they got you! ;) Hoist! 8-)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 04:47:53 PM by Hoist »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 05:59:43 PM »

Does it surprise me? No!

And ONLY 200 bucks to "inspect" them, huh?  What a bargain... ;)

I'd bet dollars against donuts we're not fully appreciating all of the gouging going on here.  Who doesn't think that when the owner gets told the tensioners need replaced that job gets billed at full flat rate and the unsuspecting owner still pays the $200-250 inspection fee.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »

Everyone's spoiled today and complains about the smallest thing. HD Newbies today could never have ridden a Harley years ago with all the problems. Once you're hooked on "potato, potato" you're not riding anything else! They know they got you! ;) Hoist! 8-)

That's too real Howie.  Sometime late last spring or early in the summer I was riding one evening with four other guys I occasionally ride with locally.  All have been riding for awhile.  Minimum of five years and max of 10 in that group.  So awhile.  But no one predated the later Evo's.

We were out that warm evening.  Stopped someplace for a burger and a beer.  The conversation turned to who'd been riding what and how long.  Just sat there at the end of the table and let them tell their stories.

Finally it got to me.  I just suggested that, even though a couple of them had gone cross country, they'd never really ridden an open road challenged much by what they were doing.  Of course everyone got a big indignant and huffy.  So I shared what some of the old Brit bikes used to be like or how Harleys used to be and what we had to do regularly to keep things going if we happened to be spending extended time on the road.

Nearly spewed beer when one guy that evening said "chains?  that sounds like a pain in the ass, screw that!"  I do not for a minute claim that advances haven't made the machines more reliable (even with their current types of problems) and made the experience much less of a hassle than it used to could be.  But folks who never sat anything other than an Evo or Twin Cam just don't have a clue.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 08:52:50 PM »

Amazing......

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 09:05:28 PM »

That's too real Howie.  Sometime late last spring or early in the summer I was riding one evening with four other guys I occasionally ride with locally.  All have been riding for awhile.  Minimum of five years and max of 10 in that group.  So awhile.  But no one predated the later Evo's.

We were out that warm evening.  Stopped someplace for a burger and a beer.  The conversation turned to who'd been riding what and how long.  Just sat there at the end of the table and let them tell their stories.

Finally it got to me.  I just suggested that, even though a couple of them had gone cross country, they'd never really ridden an open road challenged much by what they were doing.  Of course everyone got a big indignant and huffy.  So I shared what some of the old Brit bikes used to be like or how Harleys used to be and what we had to do regularly to keep things going if we happened to be spending extended time on the road.

Nearly spewed beer when one guy that evening said "chains?  that sounds like a pain in the ass, screw that!"  I do not for a minute claim that advances haven't made the machines more reliable (even with their current types of problems) and made the experience much less of a hassle than it used to could be.  But folks who never sat anything other than an Evo or Twin Cam just don't have a clue.

How true is that! When the Evo's first came out, everyone said they were junk and thought they looked Jappy. Until we saw the first one run. When we all finally got Evo's, we took our first trip without someone breaking down on the road! :o That was a first! You better have known your stuff and have tools, or be with someone who did back then. We didn't think you could get a large group together and travel without someone breaking down. It was part of the experience. It was normal to us. We never questioned it either. Go back and complain to the Dealer. HaHAHa!!!. That's the funniest thing I ever heard. Talk about spewing beer! After fixing all their chit over the years, I'm gonna have them pay me back now and fix my new bike whe it breaks for the First 2 Years! After that, I'll be back to the normal HD routine. And I don't mind it one bit! ;) Hoist! 8-)

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.