Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 2005 CVO Electra Glide Suspension WTF  (Read 9752 times)

slowoldguyxr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
2005 CVO Electra Glide Suspension WTF
« on: May 02, 2015, 06:29:22 AM »

Hola. Just bought my first bagger since my 2003 RK which handled fine (with the exception of its "crossing the crown" wobble). This 13,000 mile bike is gonna get me dead. I ride "aggressively".

I have already added the Rivera Primo bushings and that Progressive frame stabilizer thigamagig (I'm not real tech-y lol). Better but not near good enough. I live in Texas and ride like an ass-hat.

"Big speed" bumpy corner? Holy crap! If you have been there you know what I'm talking about.

(Don't bother telling me "just slow down". Ain't gonna happen.)

This is just a fun bike for me and not my primary ride so the budget is not unlimited and, truth be told, if I can get it to handle like my '03 stocker RK I can live with that. But I want more out of it. Budget is somewhere north of a grand, south of two grand. Don't mind raising this low slung beast back to stock FLHT height. Suggestions? Yeah. I did search but I am on my phone and like I said... not very tech-y.

Oh. And from what I have read so far, I like this place. Here's a pic of the pig and a Lambo on pick up day. I love her. Just gotta get her to dance a little better.

Thanks, folks. the slowoldguy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:32:27 AM by slowoldguyxr »

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: 2005 CVO Electra Glide Suspension WTF
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:21:40 AM »

Slow old guy? Like calling a fat guy Tiny!  Lol

Beauty you got there.

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 09:25:38 AM »

These bikes can handle ok.  Fortunately there aren't that many options either.  Things to make sure of would include:

Don't assume the drivetrain alignment is perfect. 

Don't miss seemingly obvious things like wheel bearings or a bent swingarm or an improperly adjusted neck.

Check motor mounts and swingarm bushings.  There are improved bushings in the aftermarket compared to the stock swingarm bushings.

Consider upgrading the stock rear shocks and front suspension.  Both can be significantly improved.

Depending on the options selected you might or might not blow your budget.

A discussion on the many varied options for shocks and front suspension and even swingarm bushings can get long.  Let the fun begin.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 09:34:34 AM »

These bikes can handle ok.  Fortunately there aren't that many options either.  Things to make sure of would include:

or an improperly adjusted neck.

This right here. How many dealers actually know how to do this PROPERLY?

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

slowoldguyxr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 12:47:58 PM »

Taking back in next week. I will show them this thread.

Out in the gorgeous day God has made for motorcycles in Texas.

80-85 appears to be the sweet spot. Above that leaned over crazy chit starts happening. I can do about 65-70 through a marked 40 and about 80 through a marked 50 before I chit myself. I'll get it fixed. Keep the ideas coming.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 05:19:21 PM »

Some nice rear shocks and stiffen up the front end with heavier fork oil.some tires are funky but ive always had luck with the metzker 880. Dont forget lube the neck bearing zerk. They didnt do it at factory and will take a whole tube. I have the ride str8 stabilizer. Same bike it hangs in there pretty good but it is and old frame bagger no matter what we change

slowoldguyxr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 06:59:47 PM »

Thanks!!  I am old frame rider so we should be simpatĂ­co.

txbear55

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 11:59:35 PM »

If this is the same "slowoldguy" in the Hillcountry of TX, then OMG...ass-hauling slowoldguy is a better description!  LOL!

slowoldguyxr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 12:18:39 AM »

Uhhhhh......do I owe you money? If so, no. No, it is not the same slowoldguy. lol

I am in Junction tonight. Gonna go ripping around in the morning then Llano for lunch.

And yeah, yeah. I already admitted that I ride like an ass-hat.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:25:21 AM by slowoldguyxr »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 11:35:48 AM »

This right here. How many dealers actually know how to do this PROPERLY?

Jesse

While the high speed handling issues were mostly related to the Road Glides, a number of members here with the 04 and 05 SEEG also had the problem.

Some of the easier fixes for some were just a matter of filling the neck tube with grease (several reported that they were completly dry.....then we learned that they're shipped dry and the dealerships were not filling them with grease on the set up that they charge rediculous prices for).

Rebalancing both wheels helped with a couple of these guys.  Loosing a wheel weight can make a difference, especially on the front, at speed.

Another relatively easy fix was just tightening the neck bearing (fall away) a tad bit.  I know of one member that had taken his SERG to several dealerships and they told him it was fine but the problem got pregressively worse for him.  Took it to a dealership in Nev. when we were on a trip and they tightened it a quarter turn and waaa-laaaa he was now able to keep up in the curves and twisties.

Yet others just solved their issue with putting heavier oil in the forks.

Beyond these fixes, it starts getting more costly, but those are the easier fixes.  It does seem like there wasn't one fix that worked for all......kind of a crap shoot.

You have an awsome bike.  The 103 is definately a proven work horse and the CVO SEEG (only two years) was so popular that it was the predecesser to the Street Glide model in 06.  As you already know, it's a bike that you can have a hell of a lot of fun on and.....some can look good doing it.  There's a couple ugly ducks here that nothings going to help them.  :P

It looks as though you put thought at picking the backgrounds for your photos.  Do you carry a camera or are these smart phone pics?  Look forward to seeing more of your pics. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 01:38:20 PM »

it

Don't assume the drivetrain alignment is perfect. 

Don't miss seemingly obvious things like wheel bearings or a bent swingarm or an improperly adjusted neck.

Check motor mounts and swingarm bushings.  There are improved bushings in the aftermarket compared to the stock swingarm bushings.

Consider upgrading the stock rear shocks and front suspension.  Both can be significantly improved.

Depending on the options selected you might or might not blow your budget.

A discussion on the many varied options for shocks and front suspension and even swingarm bushings can get long.  Let the fun begin.

Along with the above, Check the air in the shocks (10-13psi) or upgrade shocks. The shocks on my '05 were beat to death around 45k, 'replaced them with the take - offs, when I upgraded the suspension on the '09.

The GlidePro Kit and Michelin Commander II Tires really work for me on the '05.

I'm probably in a very small minority here as I have always liked the stock suspension of "The Father of Street Glide" While the ride is not as plush as the Ultras, I prefer the firmer, always planted feel of the OE suspension. My '05 has never wobbled, wallowed, or exhibited any ill handling traits, in any conditions, while riding at the limit (Western Sweepers at 90+) in the lower 48.

Most of the neck bearing adjustment issues started to surface in '06 when The MoCo changed the design for the '06 model year.

JMHO, Your results may vary...   

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:41:34 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

slowoldguyxr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 01:43:45 PM »

Thanks guys! Plenty to start on. I have a couple of good shops near me.

slowoldguyxr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 04:53:44 PM »

So far I have replaced a motor mount and done the Progressive stabilizer thing along with Rivera Primo bushing. Gonna check all alignments and everything else in the thread then start throwing money at it. 

slowoldguyxr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 07:13:35 AM »

OK. Here's my checklist.
Drivetrain alignment.
Wheel bearings.
Bent swing arm.
Improperly adjusted neck.
Motor mounts.
Swing arm bushings.
Tightening the neck bearing.
Lube the neck bearing grease cert (filling the neck tube with grease).
Metzeler 880's or 888's balanced and mounted.
Heavier weight fork oil probably 15 weight.
Try even more air in the rear (running 12).

Then I'll do a suspension budget if stock ain't gonna get it done. If so, height is going up an inch on both ends.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 08:45:11 AM »

OK. Here's my checklist.
Drivetrain alignment.
Wheel bearings.
Bent swing arm.
Improperly adjusted neck.
Motor mounts.
Swing arm bushings.
Tightening the neck bearing.
Lube the neck bearing grease cert (filling the neck tube with grease).
Metzeler 880's or 888's balanced and mounted.
Heavier weight fork oil probably 15 weight.
Try even more air in the rear (running 12).

Then I'll do a suspension budget if stock ain't gonna get it done. If so, height is going up an inch on both ends.

Definitely need more air in those shocks (I'd add at least 20/25 more lbs)... you will also need to check air pressure often as they were known to leak down.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.