Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: very loud neutral rattle 09 fltrse3  (Read 4767 times)

KID ROCK

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2009 orange crush
very loud neutral rattle 09 fltrse3
« on: May 02, 2015, 05:58:30 PM »

my bike always had the neutral rattle if you press the clutch in it would go away.now its getting very loud.
if im riding down the street in first or second  its loud. if i press the clutch in and coast down the street  and listen down by the primary
it sounds like a bag of hammers not normal at all.      please help :nervous:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: very loud neutral rattle 09 fltrse3
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 06:04:33 PM »

Compensator?? :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 06:23:19 AM »

It may be a inner primary bearing. I had to get installed on my 2009 ucse under warranty.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 09:45:56 AM »

Several issues come to mind, from the compensator to the automatic primary chain tensioner to the inner primary bearing to a loose compensator bolt.  I'd suggest pulling the outer primary cover and doing a thorough inspection, or have it done by someone fully qualified and experienced with late model Harley primaries.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 10:24:33 AM »

Several issues come to mind, from the compensator to the automatic primary chain tensioner to the inner primary bearing to a loose compensator bolt.  I'd suggest pulling the outer primary cover and doing a thorough inspection, or have it done by someone fully qualified and experienced with late model Harley primaries.

Jerry

Jerry, Has anyone you know of tried adding an additional 8 oz or so fluid to the trans to see if it made a difference? I don't know enough about these to just throw it in there and try it just for chits & grins. Know it's just a band aid for a problem that the Moco should be addressing. Wonder if Baker is working on a solution?? 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:17:02 PM »

Jerry, Has anyone you know of tried adding an additional 8 oz or so fluid to the trans to see if it made a difference? I don't know enough about these to just throw it in there and try it just for chits & grins. Know it's just a band aid for a problem that the Moco should be addressing. Wonder if Baker is working on a solution??

Excess fluid may be blown out through the breather tube, so I don't think I'd try that.  If you want to experiment with trans fluid, try different brands of real gear lube instead of the motor oil Harley installed.  There are several good ones on the market.  But even better lubes can't fix bad design and sloppy tolerances unfortunately.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 12:24:09 PM »

Kid, 

Your description that the noise goes away when you pull in the clutch sounds like a problem I had with my 2009. It was the main clutch hub bearing.  That's probably something to look at. Good luck.

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 12:58:37 PM »

Excess fluid may be blown out through the breather tube, so I don't think I'd try that.  If you want to experiment with trans fluid, try different brands of real gear lube instead of the motor oil Harley installed.  There are several good ones on the market.  But even better lubes can't fix bad design and sloppy tolerances unfortunately.

Jerry

Yes, Kinda what I thought..Using Redline Heavy Shock now..screw it, just going to ride it, let HD fix it if it breaks...Hell I saw where Amsoil makes their  Severe Gear in a straight  190 weight ..probably quiet it down, not sure about the shifting part...

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 06:06:39 PM »

Hopefully you mean 90 WT and not 190W. 190 will not work. Or maybe you were being humorous?

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 01:35:36 PM »

Hopefully you mean 90 WT and not 190W. 190 will not work. Or maybe you were being humorous?

No Don.. I meant 190..lol.. I saw that and thought damn and I was being humorous..Have a hell of a time grabbing the next gear..lol

.Had a very interesting conversation with I believe it was Jess @ Baker this morning.  Wanted to see if they had a solution and he said the Smooth Shift Kit for the cruise drive and a new door would fix it.. Just too much stuff loose in there. The "17's have what they call a "scissor gear" in there to take care of that. I may do that this winter or turn the radio up louder. Certainly not a transmission guy or engineer... but as others have pointed out. It isn't rocket science to fix it, I'd heard rumblings of a kit to fix it..nothing confirmed> Stay tuned.         

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 01:40:20 PM »

Just want to say IF you need to change the primary bearing buy the BAKER one. Mine has been fine ever since at Jim(hddude) suggestion. :2vrolijk_21:

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 01:41:50 PM »

Just want to say IF you need to change the primary bearing buy the BAKER one. Mine has been fine ever since at Jim(hddude) suggestion. :2vrolijk_21:

X-2 my HD guy same way, They make some  good stuff..

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 01:34:53 PM »

Your description that the noise goes away when you pull in the clutch sounds like a problem I had with my 2009. It was the main clutch hub bearing.

I agree with Greg.  My noise went away when I pulled the clutch in.  They replaced the "clutch bearing" and problem was solved. 09 Road Glide 60K miles at the time.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

bogosh717

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

• CVO1: 07 CVO Ultra
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 08:24:23 PM »

Help please... I have a 07 cvo ultra with 44k on it. When it's running in neutral it has a lot of noise coming from the primary, when I pull the clutch lever and put it gear the noise is gone.  Not sure what I should look at first.
1: inner primary bearing
2: clutch bearing
3: compensater
Any help would be great. Thx
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:27:21 PM by bogosh717 »

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 10:37:27 AM »

Help please... I have a 07 cvo ultra with 44k on it. When it's running in neutral it has a lot of noise coming from the primary, when I pull the clutch lever and put it gear the noise is gone.  Not sure what I should look at first.
1: inner primary bearing
2: clutch bearing
3: compensater
Any help would be great. Thx

Would check the easy stuff first.. Compensator. Just put in first at idle and slowly let clutch out with the brake on. As the motor lugs down and it rattles all the way until motor stops the compensator is probably  junk, The tell tale sign is when the motor is lugged the compensator will start to rattle  and needs changed out . If no rattle , you may be good there . Then check the primary chain tensioner. Chain gets a little loose it will rattle around inside the primary. 

They came out with a new tensioner with finer teeth that keeps the chain from getting to tight .   IF you've never had the primary cover off, now would  be a good time . You can just change out the tensioner for starters  and see if that quiets it down.           

On the Inner Primary bearing when you pull the  clutch in it usually quiets down. You may also me experiencing the infamous  " Neutral Rattle or a combination of all three.  I have a new '16 that "neutral  rattled" from day one and am in the process of talking care of that. That's a bit more complex as the gear set had to come out. 

You may just to pull it down, have  a look, or just R&R  the compensator, chain tensioner , inner primary bearing and possibly the clutch hub bearing and see what you have, if it's still noisy then you know what's next.

The " neutral rattle" is supposedly coming for the low gear pair. In '17 they installed a " scissor gear" to quiet it down. Just received one that I ordered last week and that's the direction I'm headed on mine, Think the gear was $75 or so.   Hope this helps..Greg         

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.