Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: I got a bad feelin.....  (Read 8083 times)

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
I got a bad feelin.....
« on: May 25, 2015, 04:58:45 PM »

Here we are in Smyrna TN hanging out before  Ribfest....
Looks like trip to Bumpus HD first thing in the AM.. these are the latest SE lifters the P/N ending in -13. Rode all the way from CT with no problems until....

The original  lifters, Cams, oil pump ect were replaced under warranty once already- at 7500 miles or so. And had the full compliment cam bearings and the new"upgraded" SE lifters put in. Now the odometer  is showing 18,500 miles.

Sounds like my ESP might have been worthwhile......I guess I'll find out soon enough..
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:06:03 PM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: I got a bad feelin.....
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 05:08:37 PM »

Ouch, that doesn't sound good. Let's hope it's something simple and they can get you right back on the road!

Keep us posted.

Rob

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 05:21:58 PM »

Bike sounded great with no excessive  noise. I stopped  for some photos and when I fired it back up I was like HOLY CRAP who put the marbles in there....

I too hope it's a simple fix but I'm  really not that optimistic right about now. I'll  let her rest tonight and take her to the dealer first  thing in the morning. Being  I'm  traveling  so far from home I'm  hoping they will take it right in to investigate and repair.

BTW, I did lift up the pushrod covers and check the adjustable  pushrods in case one backed off or was otherwise damaged....no such luck...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:25:31 PM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 05:32:53 PM »

Bumpus is one of the best service dealers in our area.  They have always fixed what they said with me without pushing additional services.  Don't know how they are with ESP.  Hope they take good care of you.  They have a nice store with lots of stuff to relieve you of some cash.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 06:21:55 PM »

Be sure that you mention that you're from out of state and that you're in the middle of a road trip...right up front.  They should put you at the front of the service line up. 

It's been a number of years but they put my bike right up front when I was passing through.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 08:16:28 PM »

Sounds like a collapsed lifter to me. When my SESG collapsed a lifter, it sounded very similar to your video. I did the same thing you did. I pulled the pushrod tube clips and checked for a loose pushrod. I found one after I removed the plugs, jacked up the rear wheel and spun the motor over to close the valves. The suck part is ESP would only pay for the collapsed lifter, not all of them. I sprung the extra $$$ to change em all.

2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 09:46:57 PM »

I'm just afraid they will tell you its normal. They all do that. Nothing to hear here. Move on.  :-X
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 08:15:43 AM »

Hopefully they get you back on the road soon. If it were mine, I'd ask them to flush the motor and oil pan, and overnight a set of S&S premium lifters. Cams need to be checked too, for lobe wear. Sorry to hear this.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »

Good advice. :2vrolijk_21:

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 10:09:45 AM »

Phato, If you find you need anything from local members, feel free to drop me a message.  I'm only a few minutes west in Nashville or Brentwood.  JoeVibe is also local but not sure if he is in town as he travels a lot.  I know he was planning to go to RibFest.  Keep us informed how it goes.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 11:27:17 AM »

There is another guy in Memphis that has a shop I built his 120 in fact Both Joes bike and his where here at the same time. If you cannot get help he is another source to try. Let me know I can forward his or your info , what ever works .

And for the record there are other lifters that are 100 % on par and offer the same warranty as S&S out there :).  Some refuse to believe that and that is fine.  But its like saying the best truck is a chevy..  :beatdeadhorse:

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 01:38:45 PM »

Hopefully they get you back on the road soon. If it were mine, I'd ask them to flush the motor and oil pan, and overnight a set of S&S premium lifters. Cams need to be checked too, for lobe wear. Sorry to hear this.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 02:38:50 PM »

Any updates?

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 04:36:36 PM »

Bumpus  HD rocks!
And guess what  they found.... nope not lifter problem...nope not the actual  cam....

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 04:43:14 PM »

In case nobody recognizes that particular  bolt, it's  the cam retention bolt!. Broke off inside the cam and the head of the bolt was hitting the cam chest cover causing  all the noise.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.