Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: SE 110 Head Question  (Read 10102 times)

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
SE 110 Head Question
« on: August 06, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »

I Need some advice,, I have a friend that rides a 2011 CVO RGU ,, coming home from a road trip he started hearing a ticking noise in the engine . He has the Bike at the Harley Dealer and they told him , the exhaust valve is sticking on the rear head....They either want to replace the Head of Fix the old one ,,,, Which is the best thing to do ??? Please add any other advice you think would be best...

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: SE 110 Head Question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 08:57:09 PM »

if the ex valve stuck,it would be stuck.in 40 years of working on HD`s,ive never seen a "sticking" valve,that didn't seeze all the way and usually bend when it makes contact with the other valve or the piston,heard HD techs telling people about it enough times though.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 09:36:30 PM »

George, did he say the shop actually took parts off and inspected them, or is this something the shop just told him based on hearing a noise?  Also, is this an ESP repair, or is he paying for this out of his pocket? 

Exhaust valves and guides have been a problem on the 110 engines since they were introduced, so it's possible they are right.  However, if they haven't actually done any real teardown and inspection, there are also several other possibilities.  Lifters are also on the short list of problem areas, especially on 2011 and 2012 model years. 

A new head with guides from Harley runs $495 MSRP.  One of the guys running a shop can give you a ballpark estimate to have the old head repaired.  If he decides on the repair route, and if he has a significant number of miles on the bike, I would have both heads done at the same time.

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 09:45:23 PM »

Jerry , the dealer has the heads off , the cost of the repair is out of pocket..

26000 Miles on the bike..Should he do both?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:47:22 PM by georgw221 »

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 10:03:47 PM »

If the cost of the repair were coming out of my pocket I would check with a reputable builder about having both heads reworked.

I keep reading about beehive springs and AVV?? guides.

Several members/vendors here have more knowledgeable opinions on what parts to put in the heads and hopefully some will offer guidance.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 10:05:37 PM »

Jerry , the dealer has the heads off , the cost of the repair is out of pocket..

If it were mine George I would have both heads done with good aftermarket guides and seals, and complete valve jobs.  That is based on wanting both cylinders performing as close to the same as possible.  I compare it to only doing rings on one cylinder, unless you're talking a very low mileage engine.  The experts might want to chime in here and recommend some other parts that should be changed, like the umbrella seals for the breather system for instance

He may want to get an estimate to repair the heads, versus buying one new one, before he makes a decision.  He may also want to check on the shop to make sure he trusts them to do the work.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 12:39:26 AM »

Wow,  I'm surprised this is still happining. I had the same thing happen way back in 08 on my 07 that I already paid just under $1800. to have my stock heads reworked.  The valve was stuck up about an inch or so. I watched the head worker smack it with a hammer on both ends before  it broke loose.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 06:45:57 AM »

if the ex valve stuck,it would be stuck.in 40 years of working on HD`s,ive never seen a "sticking" valve,that didn't seeze all the way and usually bend when it makes contact with the other valve or the piston,heard HD techs telling people about it enough times though.

Right on.
Usually makes a fugly mess. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »

Wow,  I'm surprised this is still happining. I had the same thing happen way back in 08 on my 07 that I already paid just under $1800. to have my stock heads reworked.  The valve was stuck up about an inch or so. I watched the head worker smack it with a hammer on both ends before  it broke loose.

1800.00???!!! WOW!! your talking about 350.00 (here anyway) for 4 valves,4 guides,seals & a SERDI seatwork
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:27:46 AM by prodrag1320 »

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 09:53:36 AM »

I would without question sound out the head have good quality valves, guides and seals done (AV&V guides) done to both heads.  If the original lifters then I would go with S&S lifters and have them measure the crank run-out
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 09:12:45 PM »

1800.00???!!! WOW!! your talking about 350.00 (here anyway) for 4 valves,4 guides,seals & a SERDI seatwork

GeorgW221,
I totally agree 1800.00 is absurd and well excessive in price.

If I were having the work done I would want to ensure the following methodology and process was taken before I would send them out to be worked on.

One option mention above and its a good one noted by others in this and many threads is: AV&V Guides which are $64.00-$80.00 depending on sourcing and 4 new HD Valves in matching pairs intake / exhaust are another $64.00-$80.00 and Seals are $6.50 a piece (Black Viton)    That is just parts, then you have the work that it takes. 

The work which does add up in time:
First disassemble head, bead blast, clean, heat heads, remove guides, chamfer guide bores, reheat heads, install proper size guides, size guides for proper valve fit, cut seats,  then you have to have CC the head, mill head to equalize combustion chamber volume, test and shim springs, clean heads and assemble.   And the biggest thing after the work is done and recorded is to receive all the information about what each of these items were set to and what parts were used to get you there.

Hope it turns out well.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 11:19:21 AM »

Although I live in Florida the fellow that actually owns the bike is my cousin in Kentucky. I talked with him this morning and he wanted everyone who piped in on this to know he appreciates it. We talked it over and he wants to ship heads to Deland for repairs vs replace. Repairs are expected to be approx. half of replace (a set). I advised to never do one and he agreed so he will be shipping both.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 07:21:40 AM »

Clean/prep, blast, 4 guides, 4 valves, 4 seals, with precision Goodson/Serdi valve job, springs checked, chambers cc'd/equalized, final clean/wash, assembled, is how we attend to that simple job here. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 07:42:53 AM »

defanatly not a complicated job for any well equipt shop

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 09:45:14 AM »

Straightforward, daily, 5-6 day-a-week occurrence here, in T/C, Evo, Shovel, Evo XL, or Iron XL, and the occasional Sidevalve work.
5, 110" CVO bikes in here in the past 2 1/2 weeks........all but 1 had engine repairs.
Opp's,....forgot to share that prior........ :D :D
Scott

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 02:22:52 PM »

Clean/prep, blast, 4 guides, 4 valves, 4 seals, with precision Goodson/Serdi valve job, springs checked, chambers cc'd/equalized, final clean/wash, assembled, is how we attend to that simple job here. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

Scotty you bought a Serdi??       
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:25:03 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 08:45:40 AM »

Our shop machine shop tooling or equipment is no concern of yours whatsoever, and the only reason you would ask would be to create some level of harrasment/mud-slinging aimed at us, as your history clearly shows that is what your agenda is.
Go bark up another tree.......

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »

3d fast system that you can use a serdi cutter or just about any cutter that fits the tooling. It is run in a mill mainly .  I have the set up do not use it much now that all the valve work is cut on the Newen CNC machine
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 07:46:50 PM »

We used the 3D fast cut stuff from goodson before we got the SERDI 100.it worked OK. Just took alot of set up time to get it concentric.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:22:35 AM by prodrag1320 »

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 07:33:45 AM »

True key to the use of that is 1), insure the mill is leveled with a precision level such as a Starrett, 2) calibrate the the dead-pilot, X and Y level, on a level precision surface such as a granite surface plate, using a precision V-block, and lastly, insure the head of the mill is trammed dead-balls perpindicular to the table.
Once that is all set, and set 1 time only, it is a VERY ACCURATE, VERY REPEATABLE, VERY QUICK, fixture in which VERY PRECISION multi-angle, or full-radius valve seat/seat replacement work is established, and several quick-change locks/modifications allow us to do just that.
Just one of many, many, many, fixtures/jigs I have here to perform our daily tasks.
Being a papered NYS Toolmaker, serving an apprenticeship back in the mid-'70's, working in the aircraft industry after that in several shops accross the USA(and not riding a stool in a tool crib) and then teaching a machine shop course at a local vocational school, the use of that tool, or any of the multiude of of my personal jig or fixturing I have manufactured/developed of the past 30 years in business, is a complete, and total walk in the park.
And always remember.............sharing is caring......... :D :D :D

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 03:14:30 PM »

3d fast system that you can use a serdi cutter or just about any cutter that fits the tooling. It is run in a mill mainly .  I have the set up do not use it much now that all the valve work is cut on the Newen CNC machine

Steve is that the Newen that you bought ?     
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:58:47 PM by Unbalanced »

2BAGGR

• Full CVO Member
  • Work sucks... Let's ride
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 02:45:55 AM »

George.....              How did the Heads turn out?

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 09:26:45 PM »

Scott is this a representation of you special machinist skills?  For those that can't make it out it is a brake lever that was ground at Hillside to allow clearance for an exhaust.  I would be embarrassed to even post your credentials and the skill level you propose to have after you completed a job like this.  You shouldn't be aloud to make references about the experience and quality of work you shop puts out.  If you just do a rush job on this I can just imagine what other short cuts might be taken.  Why don't you do us a favor and stay off the site.   

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 09:57:18 PM »

Scott is this a representation of you special machinist skills?  For those that can't make it out it is a brake lever that was ground at Hillside to allow clearance for an exhaust.  I would be embarrassed to even post your credentials and the skill level you propose to have after you completed a job like this.  You shouldn't be aloud to make references about the experience and quality of work you shop puts out.  If you just do a rush job on this I can just imagine what other short cuts might be taken.  Why don't you do us a favor and stay off the site.

Ray,

Wondering pipe you picked out that required this kind of clearance work to work with your bike?   Are you sure it was a pipe designed to fit your model of bike?? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:00:33 PM by Unbalanced »

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 07:32:50 AM »

Were you expecting removal and machining of the brake pedal, then re-chroming and re-install?
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 08:34:57 AM »

You got some kind of hard-on for us, please feel free to stop by.
Was I supposed to design a mold and have a new custom pedal cast for you??
That was trimmed, and it was pointed out to you as well.
S&S is wrong, R&R is wrong, Joe is wrong, we are wrong.........clear picture here pally-boy.
Please stop by to pick up the debris and much trash you left at out facility from your Beverly Hillbilly ramshackle trailer rig you brought your bike in.
Your immediate attention to this matter is now required.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 11:59:16 AM »

I machine seats using Serdi and Goodson 3D tooling.
Their is no advantage to the Serdi machine IMO other than time savings, and it is a big time saver. Frankly I would buy one if I had more volume.
I check my seats with a Hall Toledo tenth indicating gauge.
I level the spindle then use that datum as a reference using a Federal indicator then check the pilot in Z and C axis. Slow and accurate assuming carbide pilots are used.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:09:31 PM by HD Street Performance »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 12:46:19 PM »

Our shop machine shop tooling or equipment is no concern of yours whatsoever, and the only reason you would ask would be to create some level of harrasment/mud-slinging aimed at us, as your history clearly shows that is what your agenda is.
Go bark up another tree.......

Unbalanced???  Naw....sounds like hillsidecycle got their caged rattled by Ol' Unbalanced!  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 12:49:05 PM »

I Need some advice,, I have a friend that rides a 2011 CVO RGU ,, coming home from a road trip he started hearing a ticking noise in the engine . He has the Bike at the Harley Dealer and they told him , the exhaust valve is sticking on the rear head....They either want to replace the Head of Fix the old one Which is the best thing to do ??? Please add any other advice you think would be best...

Junk those 110 Heads, and get you a set of 103's, and have them worked.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:57:15 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 01:07:55 PM »

I machine seats using Serdi and Goodson 3D tooling.
Their is no advantage to the Serdi machine IMO other than time savings, and it is a big time saver. Frankly I would buy one if I had more volume.
I check my seats with a Hall Toledo tenth indicating gauge.
I level the spindle then use that datum as a reference using a Federal indicator then check the pilot in Z and C axis. Slow and accurate assuming carbide pilots are used.

Sounds like a very sound method. :2vrolijk_21:
Carbide pilots are the only way :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »

You got some kind of hard-on for us, please feel free to stop by.
Was I supposed to design a mold and have a new custom pedal cast for you??
That was trimmed, and it was pointed out to you as well.
S&S is wrong, R&R is wrong, Joe is wrong, we are wrong.........clear picture here pally-boy.
Please stop by to pick up the debris and much trash you left at out facility from your Beverly Hillbilly ramshackle trailer rig you brought your bike in.
Your immediate attention to this matter is now required.

WOW!

Completely understand being upset getting called out and chastised like that in open forum but not convinced the response will be good for bringing in new business regardless of who is right or wrong. But then again its not my business to be concerned with or run.

Maybe the mods can delete remnants of this dialog trail, it certainly doesn't bode well for the site either.

Daily participation and camaraderie over the years appears to have dwindled significantly.... whole topics and sections set idle for weeks could it be the result of all the friction and drama driving folks away?

Locker-room humor and ball busting is expected and many times humorous but threats and personal attacks are over the line and should not be tolerated and offenders suspended or barred like had been done in the past.

Just sharing one man's humble opinion, its sad and I've had enough.

Over and out!

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2015, 09:35:59 AM »

Wouldn't the vendor section be the place to discuss service related issues?
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2015, 11:54:43 AM »

Sooo.....because you don't agree with the dialog, or the way the topic was presented you would like it deleted? Scotts worked was attacked on a public forum and he defended himself. I am thinking from the tone of his response this wasn't his first conversation with the poster about the issue.
Not sure that Hillsidecycle will suffer a decline in customers because of response.....would it prevent you from taking your bike their for work? Their are plenty of other shops that do that kind of work should you choose.
That's one thing that's great about living in the USA.....the freedom to choose.
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2015, 12:45:45 PM »

OUCH!!   Later--HUBBARD
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 21 queries.