Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paint Bubbles (with pic) UPDATED  (Read 3396 times)

MC16LTD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited (FLHTKSE)
Paint Bubbles (with pic) UPDATED
« on: September 29, 2016, 09:37:07 PM »

I just finished washing the bike (2016 CVO Limited) getting ready to ride to Myrtle Beach this weekend and noticed that I have bubbles under the paint on the Tour-Pak brake light near the AM/FM antenna (trim of light is painted silver like bike).  Will have the dealer take a gander when I take it in for it's next service.  Anyone else having issues with paint separation/bubbling? :( :nixweiss:

Dealer ordered a replacement rear taillight set and replaced the bubbling one; said it was the first they had seen paint bubble issues on a CVO of any year.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:40:01 PM by MC16LTD »
2016 CVO Limited Palladium Silver & Phantom Blu, Fullsac DX w/2" Power Cores and Sleeves, SERT, Wild1's 10" mini-apes, HogTrough drink holder for those hot or cold days.

LilysBigDaddy

• Full CVO Member
  • Annabelle
    • NC

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited "Annabelle"
    • CVO2: 2008 FXDSE2 Dyna 105th Anniversary "The Beast" 129 HP / 129 Torque
Re: Paint Bubbles (with pic)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:12:19 PM »

I have a 14 mine is at the luggage rack mounting points on 3 of the 4 my local dealer got the Moco to replace lid of tourpac under "good will" was told had this issue with some 14's.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

May you have a Great and Godly Day!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 12:14:44 PM »

This is just one of those things that happens. Anytime you  have human interaction you have the possibility of a failure and that is what happened here. Surface preparation was lacking here and the coatings failed to bond. I have painted my own stuff and had this happen. Should be warrantied with no problem.

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 12:15:11 AM »

Its not ok, 40k, you should expect and demand good quality control.  Owned 35 or so cars & bikes to date, Hondas to HDs to Porsche, Never a paint problem! Pretty sad imo, shame on HD!
2015 Ultra Limited Low

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 10:34:16 PM »

I disagree with you, made a living for a short period of my life doing warranty paint work on new, not even serviced yet new cars and they All  have this problem, just most of the time the dealer has it corrected before it is sold and you never know. I have you by double in vehicles over the years and most had no problems but every once in awhile they just do.
Just not a big deal, I have never had a problem getting it corrected. So all is OK.

Bobtailr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 07:24:29 PM »

Purchased a 2016 CVO Limited silver and blue in June of last year. Noticed yesterday that the paint was cracking and chipping on the inner fairing. Thought at first that the inner fairing was cracked, but alas, it's the paint. Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow and better hear good news

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 07:56:16 PM »

I agree, not okay at all. Maybe okay in a $3K chinese bike but a $40K HD, embarrassing.

Its not ok, 40k, you should expect and demand good quality control.  Owned 35 or so cars & bikes to date, Hondas to HDs to Porsche, Never a paint problem! Pretty sad imo, shame on HD!

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 10:14:25 PM »

I can understand stand paint lifting where the luggage rack mounts are if tightened too much even though it looks like it actually has peeled as well but the first picture of paint bubbles on the lid is alarming. Any signs of paint lifting on other plastic parts.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:17:14 PM by Aussie »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 10:50:31 PM »

CVO's have always been more prone to paint defects versus the standard production bikes, due to the fact the CVO parts are painted by outside vendors that most likely lack the latest and greatest technology found in the paint shops of major vehicle manufacturers.  Also adding to the potential for flaws is how often each painted part is handled during the process that includes multiple colors, embedded graphics, and pin striping.  Lots of CVO's from the 2005-2006 period had multiple parts replaced due to stupid stuff like fingerprints embedded in the paint, as well as contamination in the paint film, or the overly soft finish resulting from excessive paint film thickness and poor cure common in 2006.  In other words, while you shouldn't get defective paint on a supposed top of the line and "custom built" (Harley's words, not mine) motorcycle, people intimately familiar with production vehicle paint processes can understand why we did.  I ran a paint operation for a large automotive assembly plant for many years, and can assure you that the hardest department to run in an assembly plant is the paint department.  No matter how well the process is designed and how well the employees are trained, it's not an exact science and stuff happens.  That isn't to say it's OK to ship defects to the customer however, I'm just saying generating defects is something to be expected in paint operations.  The containment and repair of any defects is still part of what the painters get paid for, and the fact that so many obvious defects get to CVO customers just shows the vendor and Harley don't pay enough attention to inspection and containment of defects.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kalikali

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 11:21:44 PM »

Send it back, not ok.  Harley and the dealer can afford to put out a "PERFECT" product at this price point.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 10:26:37 AM »

It's OK to have production flaws.  NOT ok to have no "quality control"
All that being said if it happens after ownership they can only correct it.  Which I'm sure they will.

I mean, if it looked good when you got it, nobody including HD could have known there was a problem.
Now its obvious there is a problem, and they should fix it to your satisfaction.

BlueLimited2016

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

Re: Paint Bubbles (with pic) UPDATED
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 07:15:29 PM »

Glad I bought the paint warranty plan!

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 22 queries.