Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Paint code  (Read 7608 times)

Boomerscvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

Paint code
« on: April 24, 2016, 03:06:32 PM »

Anybody have any info on 2011 cvo road glide ultra rio red paint codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Paint code
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 08:51:16 PM »

Any PPG jobber or larger collision repair facility that sprays PPG should be able to mix you any quantity from a pint on up. I have painted parts on all the CVO's I have owned using PPG from a local collision shop, never a match problem.

Boomerscvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 09:37:13 AM »

I have already tried that, no luck so far, close but not close enough

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 03:11:24 PM »

Not sure about your comment "close but not close enough". That is just incorrect, PPG formula, if mixed correctly, is perfect. If it didn't/doesn't match that is either the guy mixing or the guy with the gun who substitutes steps or a little of both OR someone chose the incorrect formula to begain with. You must use the product as instructions say, and a drop to much of any bases is reason to adjust the total finish amount or start over.
I have/was in that industry for 30 years, PPG Harley formula's are on the money, once again the guy mixing or the man with the gun is usually the problem. They make "close enough" in cars then blend to match. Has to be PERFECT on formula for Harley Colors.

Boomerscvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 08:19:33 PM »

But they don't release the codes for cvo! So it needs to be matched

2014WtGld

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 11:16:14 PM »

I have found that CVO colors aren't different from the regular colors in most cases. Just named different. On my 15 Rgu the Crushed Sapphire is the same as Superior blue on all the other bikes. May want to look at paint codes from other bikes of the same years.

Boomerscvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 06:21:47 PM »

I have found that CVO colors aren't different from the regular colors in most cases. Just named different. On my 15 Rgu the Crushed Sapphire is the same as Superior blue on all the other bikes. May want to look at paint codes from other bikes of the same years.
I will do that, thanks

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 08:19:06 AM »

Anybody have any info on 2011 cvo road glide ultra rio red paint codes?

Yep! Kurt at Colorworks  in Keller, Texas repainted  the inner fairing on my old Rio Red '11 .  Matched it spot on .  Give him a shout at 817-337-5141
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 05:26:39 PM »

But they don't release the codes for cvo! So it needs to be matched

This is a incorrect statement. I have, as stated before done some sort of paintwork on all 4 of my CVO's and all the codes were available. They all matched, PERFECTLY, but the guy mixing them is a perfection guy and we sprayed it exactly as PPG says to. If you skip any steps, as most painters who do cars for a living are used to doing, then match can be off. Otherwise no reason for a mismatch or problem finding paint. Just remember you don't go to a Chevy dealer parts counter for paint, and neither would you go to a Harley dealer. Paint has to come from a paint supplier or mixing dealer.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »

As far as I know Harley still buys their production paint from PPG, so if anyone would have the factory color codes and formulas I would expect it to be PPG.  If you go to a Harley dealer and ask for the codes, or the paint itself, you will be told Harley doesn't release those codes or sell the paint.  But that doesn't mean other people in the business can't get the codes and have the paint mixed.  Don is correct, if you go to the right places they can mix the CVO colors to the original formula.  If you just go to a place that scans the painted part and tries to match it that way, odds are the results won't be great if you're talking about anything other than basic colors.  None of the CVO's are what I'd call basic.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

T_ROCK

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 08:43:22 PM »

As far as I know Harley still buys their production paint from PPG, so if anyone would have the factory color codes and formulas I would expect it to be PPG.  If you go to a Harley dealer and ask for the codes, or the paint itself, you will be told Harley doesn't release those codes or sell the paint.  But that doesn't mean other people in the business can't get the codes and have the paint mixed.  Don is correct, if you go to the right places they can mix the CVO colors to the original formula.  If you just go to a place that scans the painted part and tries to match it that way, odds are the results won't be great if you're talking about anything other than basic colors.  None of the CVO's are what I'd call basic.

Jerry
Jerry, who do you use?  I would like to call him about the Carbon Dust on my 15 CVO. I have to have front fender painted.
Thanks

T_ROCK

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 08:47:05 PM »

What I souks have asked was to anyone,  I need the paint codes for my 15 Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset .

I don't have a PPG dealer down here.  Lucky to have an Oriellys here

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 06:08:06 AM »

What I souks have asked was to anyone,  I need the paint codes for my 15 Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset .

I don't have a PPG dealer down here.  Lucky to have an Oriellys here
I don't think you're going to find the actual codes for a CVO that new. Your best bet is having a good local painter match it or send it to Joe at Xtreme Dimensions on the East Coast or Mike's Hawg Paint on the west coast.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

T_ROCK

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »

Ok.  Thanks.  Might be cheaper and easier to order new front fender.  Chalk it up to stupidity.  But I will call them first about repainting it. 

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 08:47:51 AM »

Jerry, who do you use?  I would like to call him about the Carbon Dust on my 15 CVO. I have to have front fender painted.
Thanks

Curt @ Colorworks in keller, Tx, 817-490-9156. Know the PPG game, mixes his stuff in house . Repaired and repaintedmy inner faring on my 2011 Rio Red to a T.. Give him a shout
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.