Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Rider Error Laid RGU on its Side  (Read 9179 times)

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
Re: Rider Error Laid RGU on its Side
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 12:06:53 AM »

TN, glad you are all good. Metal and paint can be fixed. This sounds like what happened to me on one of the MGV GTGs. I think I came in hotter than what you did. Check the engine guard real close. Mine seemed find until I noticed my toe shifter was difficult to work. After looking at it, the engine guard had actually bent or deflected by a good inch or so. The crew at Ashville HD put a come-a-long on a beam and pulled it back into shape to get him home comfortably.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 12:11:08 AM »

The main thing is that you guys are OK.  The bike can be fixed, but it sounds like it was more of a drop than a scrape.  We've all done it before, Ron.  These things are beasts, and gravity is always working against us.  I know it bugs the heck out of you, but treat it as a cheap lesson learned.
I had a very similar incident to yours years ago, and like you, I was lucky and was barely moving.  My wife could see how bad I felt about it, and was gracious to me, and it all worked out.

Really glad you guys are ok, man!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 07:17:03 AM »

Greg, the new rider probably realized she was into a road she was not up for and pulled to the shoulder and stopped. Me and another rider took her bike to the top for her. We were only a couple hundred yards from the top.  She's not totally new as been riding a Dyna class Harley for a couple of years but just moved up to the street glide. I felt really bad even allowing her to try this road but we could not see the tighter hairpins at top of hill on the gps when we started up.  She handles the switchbacks that have some turn radius ok but this one was just too tight.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

ultrarider123

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 07:32:02 AM »

W road is a pain in the butt, Ron.  It's a wonder there aren't more accidents since it's still a well used, daily road up Signal.  Still, chrome and paint are much easier to repair than skin and bone.  Glad for y'all it was the former and not the latter and you still made it home safe.

At least it looks much better today than when it was first cut into the side of the mountain....(photo from WRCB photo archives circa 1914)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:34:28 AM by Haird »

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 07:48:59 AM »

Nice photo Haird. Didn't want to make a big deal of turning over but thought this might help someone navigate this type tight hairpin. Also thought it might be good to let the Rushmore CVO owners know there is an edge of their lowers that the guard does not protect.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 01:31:43 PM »

There are 2 types of riders in the world...... Those that have dropped a bike, and those that will!!!
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 01:52:26 PM »

I am glad you are Ok and the bike is basically fine.  I have had several drops over the years.

Someone mentioned at least it didn't fall at a red light!  Well, my wife and I were lined up at a light and she lost her footing. She was still learning to ride and was riding a scooter. When it started tipping she ended up giving it throttle and she went down right into me which promptly sent me down. My son luckily was behind us so he didn't get knocked over. I got up and she was basically Ok but her leg had been a little caught under the bike. Thinking back I am sure it was a funny picture with two bikes laid over right at the light. I got her bike up and then got mine up and we were all OK except a few scrapes on us and the bikes.   

Funny thing right after this happened we have the lane blocked with two bikes down and a cop crosses right in front of us and doesn't even slow down just drives by!  That was the worst of it!

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 02:19:09 PM »

A lot of folks underestimate what riding real switchbacks takes. I see it out here all the time. Folks enter too fast,  grabbing some brakes, and gravity wins every time.

If you want real fun, try the Moki Dugway. Switchbacks and fun, but its dirt.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 08:38:08 PM »

A lot of folks underestimate what riding real switchbacks takes. I see it out here all the time. Folks enter too fast,  grabbing some brakes, and gravity wins every time.

If you want real fun, try the Moki Dugway. Switchbacks and fun, but its dirt.

Other than watching for sand in the dirt road, I thought the Moki was pretty tame and far from what I imagined it would be. However, I can tell you that NC, TN, MO, NM, CO have got some pretty hairy and tight switchbacks.

I remember when Bubba took me up Mt Nebo just outside of Russellville, AK. Now that had some real tight uphill switchbacks. What was difficult/aggressive about them was the steepness in the turns.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 08:46:03 PM »

I come rolling in the garage one afternoon, had a good song playing on the radio. I turned the engine off and listened to the rest of my song. When it was over I stepped off. Anyone care to guess what went wrong?!!!

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 08:54:30 PM »

I come rolling in the garage one afternoon, had a good song playing on the radio. I turned the engine off and listened to the rest of my song. When it was over I stepped off. Anyone care to guess what went wrong?!!!

Failure to deploy kickstand, SIR!

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 08:57:44 PM »

Failure to deploy kickstand, SIR!

Yep!!!!  :oops:

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 09:11:33 PM »

Nice photo Haird. Didn't want to make a big deal of turning over but thought this might help someone navigate this type tight hairpin. Also thought it might be good to let the Rushmore CVO owners know there is an edge of their lowers that the guard does not protect.

Glad your O.K. Ron.  --- And it's not just the Rushmore bikes......Look real close next time you see mine.... :(
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Baja

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 05:23:56 PM »

Glad your ok does look like a nasty road.
https://m.

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2016, 01:15:41 AM »

Those switch backs look rather treacherous.  Steep, tight, angled road.

Challenging to say the least.  Like a class  4 or 5 rapid.
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 22 queries.