Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Security (key) Light  (Read 4888 times)

PipeSpinner

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Security (key) Light
« on: May 12, 2016, 08:58:01 PM »

What is causing my security light to Stay on. When I turn the ignition on the light goes on. once the engine starts the light goes off ten comes back on and remains on 90% of the time. there is no signs of any failure on any of the systems. The bike runs fine. called the dealer he said bring it by when I get a chance but it didn't sound like there was any issues. he daid hell run the codes and see what it reports.

Thanks
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Ultra Classic Electra Glide
Typhoon Maroon/Black Diamond/Burgundy Blaze

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Security (key) Light
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 09:47:11 PM »

You don't need to visit/pay the dealer to retrieve DTCs.  That's what you've got fingers and a speedometer display for.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-harley-trouble-codes.html

PipeSpinner

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 10:20:53 PM »

You don't need to visit/pay the dealer to retrieve DTCs.  That's what you've got fingers and a speedometer display for.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-harley-trouble-codes.html

Which module am I looking for? S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Security Module) Correct?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 12:41:02 AM »

Which module am I looking for? S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Security Module) Correct?

Don't narrow your search for potential problems.  Consider everything you can view.  More than has a perception of where a problem might or should be coming from been different than where it's actually coming from.

PipeSpinner

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 10:01:58 AM »

Don't narrow your search for potential problems.  Consider everything you can view.  More than has a perception of where a problem might or should be coming from been different than where it's actually coming from.
So far I've seen B1121, B1122 and B1126 but all the  turn signals lights are working correctly.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 11:54:53 AM »

So far I've seen B1121, B1122 and B1126 but all the  turn signals lights are working correctly.

Have you changed bulbs to LED's, or made some other change to the system like a run/turn/stop module?  If so, that would be the first place to look for the issue.

Write down all the codes you find, then clear the codes.  Ride the bike normally and see if the codes come back.  Sometimes codes can be set when you're working on the bike or for some short term fault, and they remain in history even if the fault no longer exists.  Those are called historical codes and will stay in memory for a certain number of run cycles before the ECM clears them.  By clearing them yourself, you can quickly verify if you still have a fault in the system that needs to be addressed, or those were just historical codes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

PipeSpinner

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 03:17:49 AM »

I cleared all the codes and took it out for a spin. I didn't get any codes until used the turn signals. Again I got the B1121  and B1122 codes. Then while cycling through the codes I came across another interesting bit of info. It showed PN 68924-07. Am I to understand that is a reference to the bad part number. All turn signals work normal, so I don't understand why I am getting a error when I use the turn signals.
Thanks
PipeSpinner

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 09:57:04 AM »

I cleared all the codes and took it out for a spin. I didn't get any codes until used the turn signals. Again I got the B1121  and B1122 codes. Then while cycling through the codes I came across another interesting bit of info. It showed PN 68924-07. Am I to understand that is a reference to the bad part number. All turn signals work normal, so I don't understand why I am getting a error when I use the turn signals.
Thanks
PipeSpinner

That part number always shows up at the end.  It's the number of the TSSM (Turn Signal & Security Module).  If you were checking the powertrain codes, you would get the number of the ECM instead.  It doesn't mean that module is bad, it just reports where the info came from.

If you or someone else didn't modify the actual lights by changing to a different type of bulb, or adding a controller to alter the operation of the lights, then you should have the dealership run some diagnostics.  Something seems to be telling the system that the current draw is out of the normal range, even though the lights are all working.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 11:36:39 AM »

Thanks
PipeSpinner

Those are the codes for left turn output fault and right turn output fault errors.  Did you check inside the light housings to see if the socket assemblies (or area behind them) were crudded up?  I've seen corrosion in or behind the sockets throw those codes and the lights still work (for awhile).  Since the codes are being thrown for both sides it's certainly fair to suspect elsewhere as well.  But it's never a bad idea to start with the easy and obvious.

PipeSpinner

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 12:03:13 AM »

Thanks for all the help with the error codes. The previous owner had LED's put in the turn signals and that was kicking the codes. Local shop installed a 30 dollar part and all is well.

Thanks Again,

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.