Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Rattle/noise/vibration in nuetral.  (Read 28619 times)

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Rattle/noise/vibration in nuetral.
« on: May 17, 2016, 11:08:03 AM »

2015 RGU just turned 10,000 miles on my 2,000 miles trip I returned from yesterday. I'm taking it in for the 10K service with a minor punch list, nothing too bad except yesterday I started getting a pretty significant rattle noise and vibration in neutral with the clutch out. It's not "always" but at least 50% of the time and the noise and vibration goes away completely when I pull in the clutch. Seems more pronounced when the bike is hot... I've read a few things on the primary chain adjuster, does this sound like I'm barking up the right tree? It probably won't happen in front of the service manager of course but I want to make them aware. All else seems fine, the trans shift great and the motor purrs.

Got the Redwoods run coming up in two weeks, I need to get it right before then!

Thank you,
Lance

PS: I tried the search function, so I apologize in advance but I guess I'm just not that good at using it or narrowing my search.
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Rattle/noise/vibration in nuetral.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 11:35:40 AM »

Get use to it. Harley just came out with a technical bulletin to all of the dealers. That this noise is NORMAL!!!!! Try putting some decent oil in the trans like Red Line heavy shockproof. It may quite it down just a bit.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »

See this thread in this forum.  The Technical Bulletin is shown there.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=107772.0
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 07:46:32 PM »

I saw that guys... but this seems more significant than a "rattle" and it's on the left side of the bike while seated on it, not the right side as they said in the bulletin. Does Harley refer to the right side as seated or??? I'm no bike mechanic but it really sounds and feels more than a "rattle". And it certainly doesn't take ten or fifteen seconds as mentioned in the bulletin after pulling in the clutch to make the noise and vibration quit, it ceases immediately.

It really sounds like it's coming from the primary side.

Adding a "PS" here... PS: If it is this neutral rattle, in spite of MoCo saying it's normal... I've been around machinery my whole life and can't accept that answer, so even if I have to go out on my own, what's the fix? Is using a heavier gear oil the only solution?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:36:32 PM by ACfixer »
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 01:10:34 AM »

I'd want to check that the compensator is not the issue whether loose, or bad or such.   I would also ask that if you took the bike up to say 5k+ rpm how smooth does the crank seem compared to say 3k,4k etc
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 11:05:56 PM »

Bike seems smooth through the powerband, the noise/vibration is only there when it's warmed up and in neutral with the clutch out. Really seems like a slack chain or maybe the bearing going bad? I want the tech to pull the primary cover when I drop it off this Friday and go through it, I'll probably have to pop for an hour labor to get him to do it unless I can get it to happen in front of them. When the service writer was ready to immediately dismiss it as "neutral rattle" over the phone I was about ready to go lose my boot in his lower colon. Fortunately the service and general manager should be there Friday and we have a good relationship thus far. Both service writers are know-it-all punks.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 11:31:29 PM »

Get use to it. Harley just came out with a technical bulletin to all of the dealers. That this noise is NORMAL!!!!! Try putting some decent oil in the trans like Red Line heavy shockproof. It may quite it down just a bit.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Hehehe.  Brought back memeories of puttin' STP in the ratchet-top of the Ol' Pan Head, back in the day.  I used it for years in Truck trransmissions, too, that were in extreme applications, but tranny pumps put an end to that.  I'd check out Harry's input, too.  Later--HUBBARD     
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 11:58:50 PM »

I'll definitely be going to a better/heavier lube in the primary and trans.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 06:42:46 AM »

I'll definitely be going to a better/heavier lube in the primary and trans.

If you do your own service buy a Redline Power Pak and buy 1 qt of extra primary fluid. The Redline 20w 50 engine motor oil will quite down the motor as well. You will love the way the bike rides and sounds. IF that noise is coming from the left side of the motor it could be as Harry stated your compensator. You also stated you were taking the bike in for a 10K service. PLEASE don't let the dealer put syn3 back in that bike. Some dealers are selling Redline as well. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 06:44:43 AM »

Hehehe.  Brought back memeories of puttin' STP in the ratchet-top of the Ol' Pan Head, back in the day. I used it for years in Truck trransmissions, too, that were in extreme applications, but tranny pumps put an end to that.  I'd check out Harry's input, too.  Later--HUBBARD   

Oh no not STP!!!!! Do they still make that stuff???? Ratchet top of the Ol' Pan Head????? Now you are showing our age!!!!! LMAO!!!! STP was the cure all back in the day.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 06:57:00 AM »

I know this may sound too simple and you probably already checked it........... On mine, the shifter and linkage is very noisy and more so after warm up and idling. Obviously everything vibrates more after the fluids have heated and thinned out. The vibration and rattling is mainly coming as a result of the very loose shift rod through the housing at the front of the primary.I will be pulling mine apart and making my own bushing for this and get it tightened up. Very poor mechanical quality for this deal.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 08:22:53 AM »

Lance have you checked your heat shields?  I had a similar noise in my 10 SESG and several suggested the heat shields.  I'd grab them when the motor was cool and they seemed tight.  Had Jim check it at my next service and he reports back "your heat shields were loose".  Dealership would have charged me for a couple hours labor to fix an imaginary widgit.  I just couldn't beleive that noise was coming from heat shields.....especially  heat shields that "appeared" to be tight when cool to the touch.  :nixweiss:

Certainly worth it to check for the simple things first.  :2vrolijk_21:

Tell them to ride it far enough to get the motor heated up so they can experience what you're experiencing.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:25:27 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 08:24:03 AM »

I know this may sound too simple and you probably already checked it........... On mine, the shifter and linkage is very noisy and more so after warm up and idling. Obviously everything vibrates more after the fluids have heated and thinned out. The vibration and rattling is mainly coming as a result of the very loose shift rod through the housing at the front of the primary.I will be pulling mine apart and making my own bushing for this and get it tightened up. Very poor mechanical quality for this deal.

Be careful about making that linkage shaft too snug a fit.  Many of us over the years have had the opposite problem, with binding of that shaft in the primary housing.  If you decide to tighten up the clearance, make sure you also make plans to lubricate it on a regular basis.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 08:31:31 AM »

Another ez check.......make sure the rubber stop in the kickstand is intact.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »

2015 RGU just turned 10,000 miles on my 2,000 miles trip I returned from yesterday. I'm taking it in for the 10K service with a minor punch list, nothing too bad except yesterday I started getting a pretty significant rattle noise and vibration in neutral with the clutch out. It's not "always" but at least 50% of the time and the noise and vibration goes away completely when I pull in the clutch. Seems more pronounced when the bike is hot... I've read a few things on the primary chain adjuster, does this sound like I'm barking up the right tree? It probably won't happen in front of the service manager of course but I want to make them aware. All else seems fine, the trans shift great and the motor purrs.

Got the Redwoods run coming up in two weeks, I need to get it right before then!

Thank you,
Lance

PS: I tried the search function, so I apologize in advance but I guess I'm just not that good at using it or narrowing my search.

The neutral rattle issue isn't something that just appears overnight after 10,000 miles.  It is a condition caused by manufacturing tolerances.  If anyone just blows you off with that nonsense, don't accept it.

I would suggest doing some real diagnostics.  Start with the ideas already mentioned, like loose heat shields  and linkages.  The fact the noise disappears when the clutch is disengaged doesn't necessarily mean it's an internal trans problem.  When you disengage the clutch you slightly change the load on the engine as well as the primary chain. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.