Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Rattle/noise/vibration in nuetral.  (Read 28628 times)

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Re: Rattle/noise/vibration in nuetral.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 09:07:04 AM »

Yes, thank you guys... Jerry I agree with you 100%, it was something that happened in rather short order. It was actually in Blythe (100 miles east of Palm Springs) and the hottest part of my journey when it really became obvious to me while idling in the restaurant parking lot that I had an issue of some sort.

The thing that has me pretty convinced against heat shield and kickstands etc... is the noticeable vibration and additional engine shaking while it's occurring. There's something out of balance, loose, or worn out IMO. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Lance
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 10:00:40 AM »

Lance, I have same bike with similar mileage.  I've had a noise in the primary area since day one that I did not have on prior Harley's.  I would not describe it as a rattle, sounds more like a loose chain to me.  I don't hear it when on the bike riding.  Only when its sitting idling in neutral with clutch out.  Does not seem to be getting any worse so just took it as something HD redesigned that is now noisier. If it gets any worse I'll get the primary cover pulled to check it out.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 10:09:14 AM »

Be careful about making that linkage shaft too snug a fit.  Many of us over the years have had the opposite problem, with binding of that shaft in the primary housing.  If you decide to tighten up the clearance, make sure you also make plans to lubricate it on a regular basis.

Jerry

Well aware but thanks for the heads up. This thing is beyond just a loose fit it's actually very sloppy.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 10:53:16 AM »

Lance, I have same bike with similar mileage.  I've had a noise in the primary area since day one that I did not have on prior Harley's.  I would not describe it as a rattle, sounds more like a loose chain to me.  I don't hear it when on the bike riding.  Only when its sitting idling in neutral with clutch out.  Does not seem to be getting any worse so just took it as something HD redesigned that is now noisier. If it gets any worse I'll get the primary cover pulled to check it out.

Does it do it always Ron? Mine seems to be gone now that the engine is cold... And when it's doing it does the engine seem to shake a bit more than normal? I just want to go in armed with as much info as I can tomorrow. Thanks!
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 02:21:10 PM »

I found my rattle was in the heim joints in my fancy Screaming Eagle linkage was advised to grease them. I think I will look for some better ones to replace these.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 02:53:01 PM »

I found my rattle was in the heim joints in my fancy Screaming Eagle linkage was advised to grease them. I think I will look for some better ones to replace these.

That too, lol. The original ones that came on the bike are much quieter.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 04:48:29 PM »

My original is much tighter as well and I don't see any grease. I would think if I used grease it would melt with the motor heat rather quickly and the rattle would return.

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 05:57:56 PM »

Not noticed my chain noise changing with engine temp or primary lube weight. I've run HD Syn3, HD Formula, Mobil 1 and Redline fluids without much difference in sound.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 12:06:17 PM »

Yes, thank you guys... Jerry I agree with you 100%, it was something that happened in rather short order. It was actually in Blythe (100 miles east of Palm Springs) and the hottest part of my journey when it really became obvious to me while idling in the restaurant parking lot that I had an issue of some sort.

The thing that has me pretty convinced against heat shield and kickstands etc... is the noticeable vibration and additional engine shaking while it's occurring. There's something out of balance, loose, or worn out IMO. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Lance

Do you have the EITC system enabled?  If the rear cylinder is shutting down, that will cause some shaking and noise.  Just a thought.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 10:24:02 PM »

Do you have the EITC system enabled?  If the rear cylinder is shutting down, that will cause some shaking and noise.  Just a thought.

Jerry

That thought crossed my mind too Jerry... But I have it disabled. I'm not sure how it actually works with the TTS tuner however, several of us have asked for support on that issue and so far I haven't ever got what I feel is a satisfactory answer. I cannot for the life of me tell if it's actually working now even when it's enabled because with the TTS it never shows "ACTIVE" like it did with the stock ECM map. I was also told it behaves differently with the TTS and alternated cylinders rather than just shutting off the rear jug. I kind of abandoned the idea of it causing the issue however because of the clutch when pulled in negates the issue.

I took it in for it's 10K service today. Everything seemed quieter in general but I think it's the placebo effect like when your car runs better after a car wash.  ;) I brought the issue to the attention of the better of the two service writers and he said he's heard of similar incidents when the auto primary adjuster fails to ratchet up a tooth or just hasn't done so yet. He said he had the tech tap it forward to make sure... We'll see. Like I said it seems better, but it never got that hot on the ride home.

Stay tuned,
Lance

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 10:19:21 AM »

Try the BelRey trans lube, and ride the hell out of it.  My rattle went away with mileage and the BelRey.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 12:04:39 AM »

Well I was on my way up to NorCal to hunt down JC and the gang... and the noise/shake/rattle got bad. It was somewhat sporadic at first and gradually got obnoxious. I was in Lake Tahoe area and so I called my dealer and spoke with the general manager. He asked me if it ran okay on the highway at cruising speeds, I said yes so he told me to just ride it home and get it to him. Got it there a few hours ago before they closed and he witnessed it first hand and laughed when I mentioned "neutral rattle" and said it was obviously not that. He said he thought about 90% that is was a compensator issue.

So, we'll see. I'll let you guys know once they open it up.

PS: I did put Redline Shockproof in the trans, despite all the good stuff I read about it and it didn't seem much different... maybe a hint smoother/quieter. That six speed is just a noisy transmission I guess.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 10:20:47 AM »

Compensator problems are of course a different matter.

I wasn't blowing smoke, mine went away. Here is the service bulletin.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwiNpMDE5YbNAhVIQVIKHXhyCmAQFggqMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hdforums.com%2Fforum%2Fattachments%2Ftouring-models%2F459828d1455468470-neutral-primary-chirp-attn-gearheads-service-bulletin-big-twin-neutral-rattle-0811.pdf&usg=AFQjCNES7G8HcrI1bmn1SelB6hN8X4Zjfg&sig2=f_uQNYFm_4gmG7lIiCyZgg&cad=rja

^^^ Yeah I was aware of the neutral rattle issue, I wasn't doubting you or anyone else here Greg. That fact the GM and I laughed about it was base on his nutbrain service writer that dismissed my issues as neutral rattle over the phone and told me not to worry about it. Then when I brought it in for the 10K the other service writer was convinced the tensioner wasn't advancing and pretty much blew me off as well. Fortunately this time I was able to have the GM see it in action and he agreed the primary case needed to be opened up the the problem addressed under warranty.

The unfortunate part is that the two a-holes that ignored my problem a couple weeks ago and now my bike is in the shop rather than in the Redwoods.

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2016, 05:46:28 PM »

**** UPDATE ****

My transmission is junk, some problem with a bearing... The service department called and told me MOCO is covering it under warranty, 7-10 days estimated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.