Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Rattle/noise/vibration in nuetral.  (Read 28608 times)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Rattle/noise/vibration in nuetral.
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »

Just as a "be advised" the TCB mentioned early in this thread mentions a rattle only and nothing about vibration. ACFixer was reporting a "rattle" along with a vibration.

Don't let your service advisor discount it if you have a vibration. Just sucks that it's the typical "that's normal" and "they all do that" bs.  :-\

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2016, 06:56:30 PM »

It went from a "rattle" and a vibration to a much more pronounced problem as things like that tend to go. It's like I mentioned earlier Rob, I've been working on machinery, bikes, cars... whatehaveya my whole life pretty much and I know when something has gone amuck. I was kind of blown off at my 10K service, but they're quite aware of the problem now. When the servide writer called me today he asked me "did you put the Bel-Ray in before or after you heard the noise...." It's actually Redline and I knew where he was going with that line of questioning. I told him you know the answer to that Jason, because I brought it up at my last service and you topped off the fluids then. But then he told me Harley was going to replace the trans and that it's a "known problem they aren't talking about".

Gotta love this stuff. Here's a video I made when I was up in Tahoe before I rode it back to SoCal. It was noticeably worse 450 miles later.

2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2016, 09:37:24 PM »

*** UPDATE ***

Went in and talked to the GM today, I just wasn't happy with the service writer's explanation. The GM told me the main noise WAS the compensator nut not being torqued enough? He said it was at 64 ft. lbs instead of 150. Would this actually make noise guys? I can see if it was loose altogether, but 64 lbs is still pretty tight right?

He said they fixed that but there was still a secondary noise and that's when they pulled the trans down and found out one part that butts up against a doohickey made the thingamajig pop a retaining clip loose... he and the tech showed me the part and showed me the exploded drawing and it appears it was assembled backwards at the factory.

New story everyday, I'm not sure what to think really.
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 12:20:10 PM »

That doesn't sound like compensator noise to me, when mine failed on my '07 bike there wasn't a pronounced rattle either.

Hopefully they get you squared away soon. Don't let them jerk you around about the Redline, mine tried that with me when my brand new '13 bike was leaking transmission fluid. It wasn't the fault of the superior fluid that some nimrod forgot to put the missing gasket on at the factory.

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2016, 06:22:10 PM »

That doesn't sound like compensator noise to me, when mine failed on my '07 bike there wasn't a pronounced rattle either.

Hopefully they get you squared away soon. Don't let them jerk you around about the Redline, mine tried that with me when my brand new '13 bike was leaking transmission fluid. It wasn't the fault of the superior fluid that some nimrod forgot to put the missing gasket on at the factory.

That's exactly what I told them when they told me a part in the trans was assembled backwards and if MOCO knew about the Redline they might night cover it... Yeah, BS. I think I can make a pretty good case that a high quality gear lube didn't cause a part to flip around on the shaft.

Smellymo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE White Amethyst/Black Licorice Flames
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2016, 12:33:48 AM »

I run Redline in mine, the MOCO is not going to try to blame your issues on your Tranny fluid, I promise. Your dumbass dealer might.  :nixweiss:
The sooner you folks realize that these are machines made in Milwaukee (or wherever) and not heaven, the better off you will be.
My experience is the MOCO will make it right, not the opposite. I bet you will experience that also if you give them the opportunity.
Since you are under the impression that your $40000 motorcycle is junk, how about I give you $10000 for it as is? I'll come and get it.
Screw it, let's ride.

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2016, 09:00:12 AM »

Since you are under the impression that your $40000 motorcycle is junk, how about I give you $10000 for it as is? I'll come and get it.

Who's under the impression their $40K motorcycle is junk? I think you have me confused with someone else. And so far the dealer and MOCO are making it right, the numbnuts service writer is the only one that mentioned the Redline. I tell you what, I'll give you $11K for yours.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 09:23:12 AM by ACfixer »

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2016, 10:39:30 PM »

Got the bike back today guys. Obviously this was something that was getting slowly worse until the point I was noticing it in a big way. I got the bike and it is dead quiet and so smooth compared to what it was. The compensator nut was only torqued to 64 lbs according to them, but the main deal was the trans and "gear lash" from improper assembly? Or who knows... Anyway the repair list is as follows.

Evidently Harley knows about this issue and is not seeing it quite enough to issue a service bulletin at this point, again, according to my dealer. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just relaying what I was told.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:42:22 PM by ACfixer »

easternhotrod

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2016, 08:36:43 PM »

At most of the dealers around here they call that a neutral rattle in the trans and say it's perfectly normal in all 2014/2015 CVO models.
The compensator makes a racket so they put in shims to tighten it up, then they claim that causes the trans to make a rattle in neutral :confused5:

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2016, 10:28:35 PM »

At most of the dealers around here they call that a neutral rattle in the trans and say it's perfectly normal in all 2014/2015 CVO models.
The compensator makes a racket so they put in shims to tighten it up, then they claim that causes the trans to make a rattle in neutral :confused5:

Yeah I don't know what to think, but what I was experiencing here only fool could have looked at while it was happening and called it "normal". Obviously in my case at least the MOCO saw fit to send out a gear set based on what they saw and heard from the dealer and except for the numbskull service writer on the phone on my initial phone call, nobody at my dealership even hinted at it being normal. This was loud, almost violent, and it was getting worse.

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 12:33:22 AM »

Got the bike back today guys. Obviously this was something that was getting slowly worse until the point I was noticing it in a big way. I got the bike and it is dead quiet and so smooth compared to what it was. The compensator nut was only torqued to 64 lbs according to them, but the main deal was the trans and "gear lash" from improper assembly? Or who knows... Anyway the repair list is as follows.

Evidently Harley knows about this issue and is not seeing it quite enough to issue a service bulletin at this point, again, according to my dealer. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just relaying what I was told.

glad you got yours fixed.waiting for Harley tech to review my vid.

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 12:40:11 AM »

I run Redline in mine, the MOCO is not going to try to blame your issues on your Tranny fluid, I promise. Your dumbass dealer might.  :nixweiss:
The sooner you folks realize that these are machines made in Milwaukee (or wherever) and not heaven, the better off you will be.
My experience is the MOCO will make it right, not the opposite. I bet you will experience that also if you give them the opportunity.

hey newbe

how many new Harleys have you ever bought?have you ever put up 40K for anything,including a bike?i have bought new Harleys every 3 years since 1992,third CVO and none of them ever made any kind of noise.i have a legit beef and you want to put up 10k for a 40k bike?your on the wrong forum,sportster form is the next 1 down with the $10k price range.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 01:23:40 AM »

Yeah, come and get it, MoFo.  ;)
If you want peace, prepare for war.

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Gone
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Limited
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2016, 04:00:21 PM »

Got mine back today from the dealer along with Service Bulletin M-1304 Big Twin Neutral Rattle. Basically they claim it's normal having to do with the backlash within "first gear pair".
According to the Service manager " You got a warranty ride it till it breaks, then we will fix it." " Harley doesn't fix noises coming from the motor". Also felt the need to school me on 110 motors been the loudest and most prone to issues for several reasons (always like to be schooled by guys who were in diapers when I was riding and such on my first Harley.).. By then I had already shut down and just wanted my bike back. I did find it interesting how different it is when he talks about the 110 as compared to the sales staff.

Live and learn.

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2016, 05:01:55 PM »

Doesn't the 103 have the same 6 speed trans Larry? Why is it happening more with the 110?

BTW I didn't get a chance to ride today, we went jeepin' instead. ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.