Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Rattle/noise/vibration in nuetral.  (Read 28749 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Rattle/noise/vibration in nuetral.
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2016, 08:13:40 PM »

Doesn't the 103 have the same 6 speed trans Larry? Why is it happening more with the 110?

BTW I didn't get a chance to ride today, we went jeepin' instead. ;)

A good substitute Lance!  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Gone
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Limited
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2016, 09:35:56 PM »

Doesn't the 103 have the same 6 speed trans Larry? Why is it happening more with the 110?

Can't answer that Lance. I'm not sure if it's the transmission.
All I can say is my 2014 Limited with 103 was fine with no issues. I'm one month into this 110 CVO  and it's been back to the dealer twice.
It's done for now. I'll enjoy it until it breaks or if it becomes a pain I'll get rid of it.

BTW I didn't get a chance to ride today, we went jeepin' instead. ;)

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2016, 11:08:38 PM »

A good substitute Lance!  :2vrolijk_21:

It was cooler way up in the mountains JC! I probably should have taken the bike out and got it good and hot but jeeeze I'm going to be dealing with hot, crabby people all week.  :(

Larry, I'm not sure of anything at this point either. The fact they replace my gear pack obviously means something was amiss there, but they seemed pretty tight lipped about what the issue was. I did hear at one point from the parts manager "MOCO knows there's a problem, but they haven't said anything official. All we know is they said to replace yours..." I'm starting to suspect the bigger wigs told my local guys to take care of me, but not to say anything. It's been like trying to get a straight answer out of a teenager.
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2016, 11:53:40 PM »

Harley called me back today.said they were busy and tech had not revied my vid yet.after oil change with tranny fluid noise has not returned.

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2016, 01:38:51 PM »

Hi Dan_Lockwood,

I saw the post and link you left with the Harley "technical service bulletin" and corporate disclaimer. Do you know of other bulletin(s) applicable to my low miles and in warranty CVO Street Glide that has various drive train noises that the dealer chooses to ignore.

Any information or other bulletins would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Donnie

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2016, 12:05:29 AM »

Don't know of any others.  I just remembered that one and thought I'd link it into the thread.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »

Putting a real transmission oil in mine fixed the rattle.  BelRey.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2016, 11:13:01 AM »

Thanks Dan and rOde Runner. I did put in some Amzoil trans oil the bike felt happier and shifter more smoothly, but the noises when shifting and clunky 3 spring clutch issues still exist.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2016, 02:16:50 PM »

I have Redline Primary oil in my primary and Redline HD Shockproof trans oil in the transmission.

I still get the clunk when shifting from neutral into 1st gear.  I still get a slight clunk when up/down shifting as well.  But as they say, that's probably normal.

Funny thing is that on my '76 Shovelhead FLH, I can shift from neutral into 1st and there is absolutely no clunk.  Maybe the clutch releases more, not sure why no clunk.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2016, 02:51:06 PM »

Hi Dan,

That is my plan to use Red Line in the primary and Shockproof in the transmission. You are spot on with the mention of older clutches works well. From MY reasearch I  found that my clutch discontent comes from the crappy "new-Harley Davidson 3 spring A & S design clutch"! I got what I got unill I replace it hoping replace it with an older style clutch what works normally!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2016, 08:00:01 PM »

Has anyone retrofitted their pre 2017 trannies with the 2017 setup?   It is supposed to quiet down the tranny rattle quite a bit.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2016, 09:27:25 PM »

Well it's back guys. 13K and pocket change on mine and on a 1,500 mile trip this last weekend the primary/compensator/whatever noise and shaking started back up after they replaced the transmission 2,000 miles ago. I missed the CVO Western GTG to Fortuna then... well I made it to Fortuna this time, but the noise and shaking are back. Going in the shop tomorrow.

This time the noise/shaking again... not quite as severe but virtually identical in sound and feel. Also... this time it happens even with the clutch pulled in.
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2016, 09:42:12 PM »

Well it's back guys. 13K and pocket change on mine and on a 1,500 mile trip this last weekend the primary/compensator/whatever noise and shaking started back up after they replaced the transmission 2,000 miles ago. I missed the CVO Western GTG to Fortuna then... well I made it to Fortuna this time, but the noise and shaking are back. Going in the shop tomorrow.

This time the noise/shaking again... not quite as severe but virtually identical in sound and feel. Also... this time it happens even with the clutch pulled in.

time to trade the bike.that is what I am going to do before the warrenty expires.i would trade for a 2017 but you never buy the first year of any big motor change from Harley.when I bought my new twin cam in 2000,the cam bearings went.they replaced cam and berings under warrenty.worked good so I kept it.traded it for a 2009 roadglide.new frame plus a lot of new changes.bike vibrated more than my 92 solid mount softail.complained to dealer about vibration,he says all Harleys vibrate.i say BS,not this much.put up with it for 2500 miles and traded it for a 2009 SE roadglide.motor was bad like I said,they had a crank runout problem and they knew it.dealer ending up replacing motor,his bike not mine.there are somethings that you cannot fix because the frustration and not being able to trust the bike,always wondering when and if it will break down is not worth the aggravation.you can buy a new 1 way faster than they can fix it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:55:58 PM by bigmegina »

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2016, 12:38:40 PM »

AC-
  I just started following this thread. Interesting story. Takes a few twists, but at one point you mentioned a loose compensator bolt. I had the same problem in my '11 RUSE. Picked the bike up new at the dealer and rode it home. At about 25 miles, I started hearing what sounded like a lifter tap. Stopped at a gas station and shut off the bike, and heard a loud clunk from the front left side of the motor. Started it back up, and had the same ticking sound. I figured that a new motor was still tight and not yet broken in, and pressed on for home.

When I reached the house, I was surprised to see oil covering my driveway. Turns out the main sprocket/comp bolt was loose, backed itself out, and ground its way through the outer primary. Only the bolt flange kept it in the motor. Had the dealer pick it up; he told me he had seen a couple other bikes with the same problem. He had the system fixed in a couple days, and I decided to address the common motor failures by getting a rebuild. Haven't had any problems since, but all this happened back in Sept. 2011. Kinda wonder why the MoCo let this problem continue.

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2016, 01:49:50 PM »

^^^ I think I mentioned they said the compensator bolt was only at 60 lbs instead of the specs (160 maybe?)

To me, 60 lbs is still tight... would that actually cause any problems? I'm kind of at a loss... we'll see what they say about it. The pisser is that I love this bike, and of course I dumped a ton of money getting it to fit and with extra lighting and whatnot so I'm not ready to trade it in that's for sure. I've read all these threads about lifters collapsing and who knows what else and it really makes me squeamish. I've got 13K+ on it in a little over a year and all these other problems seem to be cropping up at 15-20 so I'm holding my breath on all that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.562 seconds with 22 queries.