Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Rattle/noise/vibration in nuetral.  (Read 28745 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Re: Rattle/noise/vibration in nuetral.
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2016, 05:45:39 PM »

Oh and I asked about changing out to a different oil etc and was told by my local dealer they would not stand by the warranty if I used any of those other lubricants suggested.

Nope,! Ain't buyin that one ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2016, 05:58:10 PM »

I dropped mine off two days ago to have this repair/noise looked at. Figured it being November they can have it till they figure it out will report back with their findings

We will get it figured out! My bet is that they will show you the bulletin and..you know the  rest of the story.. Probably in Dec. sometime I'm going to pull the gear set out of mine and see if my idea will work regarding '17 scissor gear. It's about $60  and replacing the trap door with a Jim's . About $ 350 . Guess we'll see what we can see   

Baker has a solution also, their trap door and smooth  shift kit.  about $650 or so.   

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2016, 07:01:55 PM »

Have no idea how that works but if I have to bank roll it it's a non starter. I'll trade it to a dealer and let them warranty it for the next owner. Won't be a CVO that is for sure.
I checked; lemon law doesn't cover motorcycles in CA.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2016, 10:45:05 PM »

We will get it figured out! My bet is that they will show you the bulletin and..you know the  rest of the story.. Probably in Dec. sometime I'm going to pull the gear set out of mine and see if my idea will work regarding '17 scissor gear. It's about $60  and replacing the trap door with a Jim's . About $ 350 . Guess we'll see what we can see   

Baker has a solution also, their trap door and smooth  shift kit.  about $650 or so.

Running their street door on my 11
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2016, 10:52:53 PM »

[/quote]

I went the Baker way last year with there Reverse kit, No gear noise and it shifts better.
Well worth a look, Hey and no more pushing the bike when you get stuck..lol  :)
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Gone
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Limited
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2016, 03:00:12 AM »

I checked; lemon law doesn't cover motorcycles in CA.
I checked as well and from what I read it does cover motorcycles in Ca. Either way that is a long process at my age I probably wouldn't go down that road. May have to just take my losses and move on. Life is to short in my opinion.
Dealer recommended frequent oil changes but I may not do that that as i think that will only drag out the inevitable by draining the oil that has water in it and replacing it with fresh oil. By going the full 5000 miles perhaps the bike will have a complete failure making it easier to get the motor company to fix the problem with a new motor. It appears ,as i was told, HD does not fix bikes that are going to break . Only bikes that are broken as one Service Manager told me.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2016, 10:11:12 AM »

i told them that i read the bullchitetin and that if only some of the six speed trans make this noise....get me one that dont make noise...simple
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2016, 10:08:41 PM »

The lemon law DOES apply to motorcycles in California provided they are registered for street use.

My dealer although being very helpful thusfar has seemingly been keen to this. I have never mentioned it of course and each time I bring it in I make sure they put it in writing for me the reason for my visit. So far each time has been a different solution and they are avoiding returning any used parts. This may just be the cynic in me, but it looks like they are carefully stepping around the lemon law.  I think it has to be three times for the same problem? So far I've got "neutral rattle/no problem", then a new trans, then the latest was the bearings and such... I really have no idea if they are screwing with me or not, but my dealer has been so darn nice and on the ball when it comes to fixing it I just don't feel the need to push it further yet.

LMH, I am sorry to hear of your troubles but if you do go the lemon law route it's not all that difficult and I'm pretty sure there are lawyers that take it and get paid from the other end when successful. It worked that way when a friend got her Suburban replaced, and if you need it I'll be happy to ask her the attorney's name should you decide to go that route. Like I say, I'm not there yet but it won't take too much more to get me to that point and I'll push the issue if it comes down to it.

The bottom line is I really like the bike, and I've dumped some money into it so I'd really just like to ride it without further ado. Fingers crossed.
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2016, 02:19:16 AM »

Have no idea how that works but if I have to bank roll it it's a non starter. I'll trade it to a dealer and let them warranty it for the next owner. Won't be a CVO that is for sure.
This is from the CA civil code (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=01001-02000&file=1792-1795.8) that covers lemons:
"1794.   (d) If the buyer prevails in an action under this section, the
buyer shall be allowed by the court to recover as part of the
judgment a sum equal to the aggregate amount of costs and expenses,
including attorney's fees based on actual time expended, determined
by the court to have been reasonably incurred by the buyer in
connection with the commencement and prosecution of such action.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2016, 10:43:02 AM »

So far each time has been a different solution and they are avoiding returning any used parts.

When I was a service manager years ago in MI for a Pontiac/Chevy dealership, we were not able to give the customer parts that were replaced under warranty, but by law, we were required to show them the parts if they asked to see them.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2016, 11:05:20 AM »

When I was a service manager years ago in MI for a Pontiac/Chevy dealership, we were not able to give the customer parts that were replaced under warranty, but by law, we were required to show them the parts if they asked to see them.

Yeah I understand having to send the parts back to the MoCo if requested, but they avoided showing them to me last time Dan. The time with the trans they DID show me the faulty parts, which makes me wonder... but I'm a cynic by nature and sometimes it's probably best I just let it go.
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2016, 12:02:09 PM »

Yeah I understand having to send the parts back to the MoCo if requested, but they avoided showing them to me last time Dan. The time with the trans they DID show me the faulty parts, which makes me wonder... but I'm a cynic by nature and sometimes it's probably best I just let it go.

Stay tuned, I have a " scissor gear" gear coming from  '17. Supposedly that's what they did to " cure it"  We'll see. If I get it next week, I'll start on it.  Realize that's not a solution for everyone. But for about $100 in parts it's worth a shot to me. Probably going to learn a hell of lot more about transmissions than I really wanted to. What the hell , it will keep me out of the Asian massage parlors..lol
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:07:10 PM by Texas 103 »

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2016, 07:16:01 PM »

^^^ Absolutely, $100 is insignificant in the overall scheme of things. Please keep us updated.

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Gone
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Limited
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2016, 05:57:33 AM »

The lemon law DOES apply to motorcycles in California provided they are registered for street use.

My dealer although being very helpful thusfar has seemingly been keen to this. I have never mentioned it of course and each time I bring it in I make sure they put it in writing for me the reason for my visit. So far each time has been a different solution and they are avoiding returning any used parts. This may just be the cynic in me, but it looks like they are carefully stepping around the lemon law.  I think it has to be three times for the same problem? So far I've got "neutral rattle/no problem", then a new trans, then the latest was the bearings and such... I really have no idea if they are screwing with me or not, but my dealer has been so darn nice and on the ball when it comes to fixing it I just don't feel the need to push it further yet.

LMH, I am sorry to hear of your troubles but if you do go the lemon law route it's not all that difficult and I'm pretty sure there are lawyers that take it and get paid from the other end when successful. It worked that way when a friend got her Suburban replaced, and if you need it I'll be happy to ask her the attorney's name should you decide to go that route. Like I say, I'm not there yet but it won't take too much more to get me to that point and I'll push the issue if it comes down to it.

The bottom line is I really like the bike, and I've dumped some money into it so I'd really just like to ride it without further ado. Fingers crossed.

Thanks. I am aware it is covered in Cal by the lemon law. Absolutely last resort and not something I want.
I'm with you on the hoping for the best . I have additional money in mine and just want to ride it and enjoy it. Just a shame I have seen so many of those 110's have issues for so long and for the company to put their head in the sand and pretend it doesn't happen is frustrating.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2016, 11:43:08 AM »

I'm no expert.
I've posted in this thread before.
I have not read all the posts in this thread.

I've only owned 4 Harleys: a 2007 Ultra, a 2009 Ultra, a 2013 Road Glide Ultra, and a 2012 CVO Street Glide.

The 2007 rattled really bad, and the fix was a new "cush drive" hub for the rear end, called an IDS. At my expense.  Fixed the issue.

The 2009 never rattled.

The 2013 didn't rattle, but my buddy who purchased a 2013 Street Glide (non-CVO) had the rattle.  Put in a quart of walmart 75-W-something and it went away.

My 2012 Rattled.  I bought it used with less than 5000 miles on it, two years old.  I put Valvoline 75Wsomething in it and it got quiet.  I'm now running BelRay transmission lube that I purchased at a Harley dealer.  Nearly 30,000 rattle free miles.

There is another thing, I do not tighten my belt at tire changes.  I've marked my rear fork (swing arm) after adjusting the tension at the first tire change.  The belt is always set back to the same place.  I learned this from my chain bike days.  Chains and sprockets wore out from always taking up the slack just a bit more than needed.  Once I got my FJ1100, I started setting the chain by marks on the swing arm, and never needed to replace the chain again.

I'm not saying this is a cure, I'm saying these are relatively painless things to try.  As for non-HD lubricants voiding the warranty, we all know that is crap.

I'm just adding this to try to give an alternative to hating your CVO. I really like mine, valve noise and all. My sympathies to all who are having problems.

Ride Safe
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 22 queries.