Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cleaning rear chrome wheel  (Read 7390 times)

ONE2BAJA

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2023 CVO Road Glide FLTRXSE Dark Platium 121vvt
Cleaning rear chrome wheel
« on: June 12, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »

Finally had some extra time to do the least desired part on cleaning the bike.  Took the bags off and tackled the rear wheel with 9000 miles of grime..  Just started with some warm soap and water.  Did not even phase cutting it and tried several other cleaners to no avail.  Now I'm getting nervous about the $1800 wheel.  Got desperate and grabbed my GOJO  orange pumice hand cleaner and got after it.  An hour later of scrubbing, wiping and rolling the scooter back in forth. After a bucket of warm water to rinse it off the wheel, now it looks as close as it did when I drove it off the showroom floor.  The grit in the hand cleaner didn't scratch of mar the shine in the chrome.  So just a little fyi on using GOJO hand cleaner!
"The difference between success and failure is the ability to work with a hangover"

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Cleaning rear chrome wheel
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »

You cannot use pumice or similiar to clean chrome, you just think it didn't leave scratches but you left a million if you rubbed very much and the pumice was close to dry. You do realize that alot of that "dirt" was actually kevlar from the belt and metallic brake pad particles. Both of which are very abrasive. Maybe next time, clean it more often, I do mine weekly (complete bike) or if you choose not to clean more often use a chrome rated brake dust wheel cleaner. I like Eagle 1 A to Z because it also cleans the tires safely and the wheel and will not hurt aluminum or other painted surfaces if you get carried away spraying it on.
9000 miles without cleaning? really?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 01:55:47 PM »

Anything with pumice in it is abrasive, so the hand cleaner recommendation is one I would ignore.  While you may think chrome plating is really hard, in reality it is not, especially these days with the cheaper processes they use to plate parts.  As Don mentioned, find one of the safe chemical cleaners designed for the cleaning of chrome rims.

Now that you have the wheel clean, bite the bullet and clean the wheel on a regular schedule.  Yes it's a pain in the posterior, but it doesn't have to be.  I've got a center stand on my bike that helps immensely (no moving the bike umpteen times to get to all the areas), but if you don't like that idea companies make a short device with rollers that you can roll the rear wheel on that will also allow you to rotate the wheel without moving the bike.  In fact Harley used to have one in the catalog, and might still have one for all I know (I don't study their catalog like I did many years ago).

Jerry

Here's a photo of a device like I mentioned:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:02:16 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ONE2BAJA

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2023 CVO Road Glide FLTRXSE Dark Platium 121vvt
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 06:13:39 PM »

Lesson learned! Now that I have more time on my hands I will keep it clean on a regular basis.    Thanks for the info guys!
"The difference between success and failure is the ability to work with a hangover"

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 12:45:12 PM »

Anything with pumice in it is abrasive, so the hand cleaner recommendation is one I would ignore.  While you may think chrome plating is really hard, in reality it is not, especially these days with the cheaper processes they use to plate parts.  As Don mentioned, find one of the safe chemical cleaners designed for the cleaning of chrome rims.

Now that you have the wheel clean, bite the bullet and clean the wheel on a regular schedule.  Yes it's a pain in the posterior, but it doesn't have to be.  I've got a center stand on my bike that helps immensely (no moving the bike umpteen times to get to all the areas), but if you don't like that idea companies make a short device with rollers that you can roll the rear wheel on that will also allow you to rotate the wheel without moving the bike.  In fact Harley used to have one in the catalog, and might still have one for all I know (I don't study their catalog like I did many years ago).

Jerry

Here's a photo of a device like I mentioned:

When I clean my wheels thoroughly I do it with the bike on the jack. I'm not as nimble as I once was so working at floor level is one of the last things I want to do, especially as long as it takes to clean the rear wheel.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 07:58:53 AM »

I got a foam cleaner for chrome car wheels. All I do is spray on then hose off. It's Meguiars Hot Rims Chrome Cleaner.
Bill

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »

I got a foam cleaner for chrome car wheels. All I do is spray on then hose off. It's Meguiars Hot Rims Chrome Cleaner.
Does it leave any greasy residue on the tires? I've been using Simple Green mixed 50/50 but still have to scrub some.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 01:29:27 PM »

I just hose it off. I'm doing it once a week. I go 25,000 miles a season.
Bill

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 03:36:31 PM »

I just hose it off. I'm doing it once a week. I go 25,000 miles a season.
Ty sir.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 09:33:56 PM »

I clean and polish the front and rear wheel along with the pipes certainly every two weeks, some times every week.

I jack the bike up, makes it a whole lot easier.

I use some water less foam cleaner wax. I think it is FX1.

I spray it on a micro fiber and clean and polish the wheel in one step, rotating the wheel and then come back with another microfiber to wipe any of the cleaner/wax off, very easy to leave the wheel perfect without the traditional chrome polish type products that you sometimes have a time getting it all off.

This is a very easy process, the wheels look new after each cleaning, as do the pipes.

I also take this time to check the drive belt and tires, condition and air pressure.

I have never used any water on this bike, frequent cleaning and polishing and then the fact that i don't ride in bad weather make it pretty easy
to keep the bike very clean.

This is the front wheel but the result is the same for both.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:13:29 PM by 68 XLCH »
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 09:39:53 PM »

Dirty wheels - rinse well & clean with a good car wash type soap & microfiber mitten.  Not so dirty wheels - Windex.  Detail wax them occasionally, dirt doesn't stick as well then.

I should start a Windex thread maybe??   :devil:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 03:41:13 PM »

None of the commercial chrome or paint rated Wheel cleaning products leave a residue. I, as I stated above, prefer A2Z  Wheel & Tire cleaner by Eagle 1 as it was picked by one of the detail supplier testing companies as the best tire cleaner on the market that created no damage to the rubber, was originally designed for removal of disc brake dust on painted wheels, clean tires a side product. When sprayed on the brown dirt will run off the tire, I do use a soft wheel brush to scuff the tire prior to rinsing but you don't have to, can just rinse it off. I also coat the wheel with this stuff and then after approx 30 seconds I wash with soap & water and mitt. Same process I do on my cars, tires look like new, wheels look like they just came out of the box. I have used about every brand of disc brake cleaner but always go back to Eagle 1.
I don't like Windex "Blue" around the bike, or car, it has ammonia, I worked for company that made raw materials and sold train cars of base to Windex, lots of ammonia. Ammonia is not good for rubber, paint, vinyl etc. just terrible. But if you want a glass cleaner for bike/car use there are several brands out there that do not contain ammonia, they are safe for window tint. Stoner Invisible Glass is one, Mothers has one safe for tint, computer touch screens etc.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 09:19:16 PM by CVODON »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 03:57:40 PM »

No chlorine in Windex.  Bad juju, chlorine and ammonia.

In 2015 the S.C.Johnson website lists the ingredients as Water, 2-Hexoxyethanol, Isopropanolamine, Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Lauramine Oxide, Ammonium Hydroxide, Fragrance, and Liquitint® Sky Blue Dye.

Have used it for years on wheels, no issues.  Have used other glass cleaners as well on mags, wheels, tires - not much difference.  Less streaking on some than others, Windex is better in that regard.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 04:14:34 PM »

I use Harley-Davidson Wheel & Tire Cleaner - P/N 93600024 for the simple reason when I purchased my SEEG I found out that the chrome on our bike's had a tendency to peel/flake (especially the wheels). Started using the MoCo product because I didn't want to hear the BS about me using a product that wasn't recommended or "factory approved". Even w/using that I spray it on, let it sit for a minute or two, then rinse it off and wash w/soap and water.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 09:20:17 PM »

Iski you are right, I was shocking my pool and thinking ammonia and typing chlorine. Sorry,
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.