Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: New Recall for the Hydraulic Clutch on 2016s  (Read 7510 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: New Recall for the Hydraulic Clutch on 2016s
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 10:51:54 AM »

"certain model year 2016 Touring and Softail model motorcycles may exhibit a condition in which it may lose the ability to generate enough lift to disengage the clutch after being parked for an extended period."

I completely missed the most obvious and easy fix.  Don't park the f'n bike and you won't have a problem.  OR, just use a strap to hold the clutch lever to the grip when you aren't riding so the system stays pressurized, which should make it harder for those pesky gas bubbles to form.

Almost three years without a permanent fix is absolutely ridiculous.  I certainly hope some folks lost their jobs over this crap and some vendors lost contracts.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 04:13:06 PM »

True and how long is an extended period of time (days, weeks or what)?   

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE 3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE

mark

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 08:59:21 PM »

I'm at a loss to explain how a billion dollar corporation can constantly chit the bed.  It's a hydraulic clutch, not a moon shot.  This can't be that hard, can it? 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 09:06:40 AM »

I'm at a loss to explain how a billion dollar corporation can constantly chit the bed.  It's a hydraulic clutch, not a moon shot.  This can't be that hard, can it?

Nope, it's actually very simple but that has never stopped Harley from screwing things up in the past.  IMHO most of Harley's big problems in recent years can be directly traced to management trying to cheapen the product way beyond what any competent engineer would recommend.  If you were able to access the secret company documents on this fiasco, I'll bet the root cause is due to changes in materials and suppliers.  The last management team was all about cutting costs at all costs, I guess we will have to wait and see what the new team does.

JMHO - Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 10:15:24 AM »

I had gotten back into the motorcycle scene after 20 years and purchased a 2015 Street Glide from a local dealer, I went online and check for recalls as I heard this bike had a couple, it stated there where completed. Then after finding out what a CVO is I wanted one, I wanted a 2016 black with the ghost flames, the 2017's where just coming out, but still wanted a 2016, found a couple online and made a deal with a dealer in Charlotte, after a week flew down and picked up the bike to ride back to Ohio, when I went to start the bike and leave, the battery was low and almost didn't start, I pull out of the parking lot and notice the TPM was on, so I had to stop and put air in the tires, also notice the bike was not very clean after getting it out in sun light, so ride home 525 miles, after a few days I'm on Harleys web and figure I would check for recalls, and low and behold the clutch master cylinder recall was still open, now this dealer new I would be riding the bike back to Ohio, it wasn't washed, air low in tires, battery was low on charge and a recall wasn't completed, now being a service manager at a BMW car dealership I could not believe they would sell and deliver a bike with a recall not performed  :o   :nervous:
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 11:45:50 AM »

I had gotten back into the motorcycle scene after 20 years and purchased a 2015 Street Glide from a local dealer, I went online and check for recalls as I heard this bike had a couple, it stated there where completed. Then after finding out what a CVO is I wanted one, I wanted a 2016 black with the ghost flames, the 2017's where just coming out, but still wanted a 2016, found a couple online and made a deal with a dealer in Charlotte, after a week flew down and picked up the bike to ride back to Ohio, when I went to start the bike and leave, the battery was low and almost didn't start, I pull out of the parking lot and notice the TPM was on, so I had to stop and put air in the tires, also notice the bike was not very clean after getting it out in sun light, so ride home 525 miles, after a few days I'm on Harleys web and figure I would check for recalls, and low and behold the clutch master cylinder recall was still open, now this dealer new I would be riding the bike back to Ohio, it wasn't washed, air low in tires, battery was low on charge and a recall wasn't completed, now being a service manager at a BMW car dealership I could not believe they would sell and deliver a bike with a recall not performed  :o   :nervous:

They aren't supposed to sell any vehicle with outstanding safety recalls.  What kind of backwoods operation did you buy the bike from?  I think if it were me, I'd make sure to send a letter to the dealer principle of that place, with a copy to H-D corporate.  I might also file a complaint with NHTSA as well.  There is absolutely no excuse for blowing off a simple safety recall, or delivering a new bike to the new owner in the condition you described.  Obviously this place doesn't believe in maintaining the batteries on bikes in inventory, so you can expect an early failure on that.  There is also no excuse for handing you the keys to the bike and sending you on your way with low tire pressure.  It would have taken them all of five minutes to check and inflate the tires to the proper levels.

Share the name of this place so others can avoid them.

JMHO - Jerry

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 12:27:44 PM »

They aren't supposed to sell any vehicle with outstanding safety recalls.  What kind of backwoods operation did you buy the bike from?  I think if it were me, I'd make sure to send a letter to the dealer principle of that place, with a copy to H-D corporate.  I might also file a complaint with NHTSA as well.  There is absolutely no excuse for blowing off a simple safety recall, or delivering a new bike to the new owner in the condition you described.  Obviously this place doesn't believe in maintaining the batteries on bikes in inventory, so you can expect an early failure on that.  There is also no excuse for handing you the keys to the bike and sending you on your way with low tire pressure.  It would have taken them all of five minutes to check and inflate the tires to the proper levels.

JMHO - Jerry
I bought my 2016 from Harley Davidson of Charlotte, flew down from Cleveland and road it home, I thought 525 miles was long, you will have to stop and get the 1000 mile service!

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 01:34:16 PM »

JMHO - Jerry

x3.  No excuse for any of that. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:53:36 PM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »

As Fired00d showed it was Harley Davidson of Charlotte, seemed like nice enough people, checked out there reviews online, I guess you never know, I stopped in at South East Harley Davidson in Bedford Heights and was talking to a service advisor named Bob, I was so impressed with him, I almost offered him a job at the BMW dealership, he set me with an appointment to drop it off, when I did he did a full walk around with me to note any damage (which there was none) they had it completed in 2 days, picked it up and the advisor that was there then did another walk around with me, and everything was good. Its a shame I could not find what I wanted local, and is Harley of Charlotte worried about me buying again from them? I doubt it since the only reason I went there was because they had the product.
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 12:29:31 PM »

Wish there I were in Ohio would love a job at BMW and get back in to car bussiness again!

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 09:16:45 PM »

Wish there I were in Ohio would love a job at BMW and get back in to car bussiness again!

Are you crazy  ;)
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 12:44:01 AM »

Someone correct me if this is mistaken (too late and I'm too lazy to look it up right now) but I thought it was at least a violation of NHTSA admin rules if not actually illegal to sell a new vehicle with an outstanding safety recall pending.  Aren't new vehicles supposed to be held by their dealer if a safety recall is pending?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 08:28:00 AM »

New cars get a dealer hold until fixed if a safety related recall.  Used cars do not. Do not "recall" any information specific to MCs, would suppose guidelines are the same since the guidelines are for "motor vehicles".  10 year window for used cars.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.