Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Polarized Sunglasses good or bad?  (Read 3707 times)

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
Polarized Sunglasses good or bad?
« on: July 21, 2016, 12:44:33 PM »

Having used polarized sunglasses in the past I know that it can cause a rainbow effect when looking through windshields and make viewing some of the older LCD displays difficult. Can anyone tell me how well they work with the Rushmore infotainment system?
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Polarized Sunglasses good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 01:18:36 PM »

My polarized sunglasses work just fine with both my windshield and Rushmore entertainment system. However, I would not take anyone's advice on this. I would try the very glasses you intend to use. JMHO.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »

I don't get the rainbow effect on the screen, but then I added an aftermarket anti-glare film from Nu-Shield pretty quickly after I bought the bike.
The screen just isn't bright enough in my opinion, and sunglasses don't help that, but you take what you're given. 
Whatever you do, buy good sunglasses.  They will always be better under most conditions than "cheap sunglasses".   8)
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 01:39:23 PM »

My polarized sunglasses work just fine with both my windshield and Rushmore entertainment system. However, I would not take anyone's advice on this. I would try the very glasses you intend to use. JMHO.

I'm sure trying them out would be best. My company will buy me prescription safety glasses for my job. The supplier sells Wiley X. I won't have my bike there when making my decision.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Super Shox

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 01:46:18 PM »

I don't get the rainbow effect on the screen, but then I added an aftermarket anti-glare film from Nu-Shield pretty quickly after I bought the bike.
The screen just isn't bright enough in my opinion, and sunglasses don't help that, but you take what you're given. 
Whatever you do, buy good sunglasses.  They will always be better under most conditions than "cheap sunglasses".   8)

Do you like the film? I've only seen the visor and I don't like the look of it. Also thanks for the work you've done on 2017 MITM. I'm looking forward to being there for my first GTG. Should be a blast.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Super Shox

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 02:21:57 PM »

Do you like the film? I've only seen the visor and I don't like the look of it. Also thanks for the work you've done on 2017 MITM. I'm looking forward to being there for my first GTG. Should be a blast.

I do like the film, as do many of us.  I think you'll find a review of it somewhere on the forum.  You'll like the Wiley X's, too.  I have a couple of pair with prescription sunglass lens in them, and they work well for me. 
Thanks for your input on the GTG.  I've worked hard on the rides and hope that everyone will have a great time!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 02:47:30 PM »

I have several pairs of Wiley X glasses and don't get the rainbow effect with any of them but have with others.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 02:58:01 PM »

I have several pairs of Wiley X glasses and don't get the rainbow effect with any of them but have with others.

I had a pair of Wiley X until my girlfriend destroyed them. I did get a little rainbow effect with them. I'm trying to decide between polarized, regular and transitions. I'm afraid the transitions won't get dark enough for the Texas sun.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Super Shox

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 03:05:54 PM »

I had transicians years ago when I wore prescription lenses and they weren't dark enough but they are much better these days I have heard. Best advice was posted earlier, try them first if you can.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 04:38:26 PM »

I've tried Transitions a couple times over the past twenty years, the most recent being after they claimed they had improved them to make them darker and to make the response time faster.  In my particular case they may have darkened slightly quicker, and got a little darker, but they took too long to lighten up when you moved from a brightly lit area to a dark area.  Kept getting the feeling I'd walked into a dark cave and needed a flashlight.  I never did get comfortable with them and went back to regular eyeglasses and clip-on polarized lenses.  Far from a great solution, but better than nothing.  If they ever make a really fast Transition lens, that would be ideal.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 04:58:18 PM »

I wear glasses (bifocals) and have transition lenses... have worn glasses for several years now and have used transition lenses in all of them (didn't want to have to buy two pair of glasses). I've either gotten used to them or they are working for me. BTW I'm currently wearing Oakley glasses w/their (Oakley) transition lenses if that makes a difference. Also when speaking of "polarized" lenses I remember the post that Grandpadoc (who was/is in the business of eye care) made a while back (maybe he will see this post and add more to that statement)...

Definitely get progressives for all the different distances you need to see. They get stronger as you look down through the lens for mid to near vision. The transitions are convenient, but you always seem to give up function for convenience. Heat and anything that blocks UV like a helmet visor makes them not darken all the way. Definitely do not get polarized lenses because they will make polycarbonate windshields hard to see through and create what appear to be wet spots on pavement which could be dangerous. When I prescribe sunglasses for folks I usually recommend brown lenses to cut more blue light which is very annoying to our visual system. Grey lenses are good in that colors remain true which is important for law enforcement and pilots. So what do I wear...brown, non polarized, progressive, CR-39 plastic lenses. Next best would be to use polycarbonate lenses for heavier prescriptions, but the optics are not as good as CR-39 plastic. Glass lenses have prestine optics but are too heavy for most folks.  Doc 

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.