Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Day-Long Touring Saddle  (Read 3226 times)

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
Re: Day-Long Touring Saddle
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 11:56:36 PM »

Hi Grizzly.
I did keep, and use, both my stock backrests. They did use the stock pan and stock heat elements.

Leather on top but vinyl on sides. (Leather on sides will crack if you ride a lot so don't do it)

Love the comfort.

Can't recal cost, probably $600ish

Thanks Road Dad,

That looks like a very comfortable seat.  They did an amazing job matching it up to your stock passenger backrest.

I noticed that the rider backrest on your seat appears to attach differently from the one posted above by Simon (DesertHog)... Does that mean you continued to use your stock backrest with the Day-Long seat?

Is yours a heated seat?  Cost?  Did you supply your old seat for their use as a base?

Thanks again!
Grizzly

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 05:24:43 AM »

2x on the satisfaction of the Russell Day-Long (RDL) saddle.

I had one made for my 2009 Ultra Classic that I have also used on my 2014 Ultra Limited and now 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra. I prefer it over the stock seats and my passenger (the wife) REALLY loves it. The leather matches up to the OEM materials, so only change what you need.

I had the passenger backrest done because the wife wanted to sit more straight-up. Also, I had them cut out a notch in my lumbar area so that my adjustable backrest could easily fold down flat...makes mounting/dismounting the bike much easier.

Be advised the RDL seat will sit you a little higher on the bike and does take a little getting used to when stopping. You can ask them to cut it down a little, but it will compromise the seat support somewhat. Depending on your seat height, you may also want to change your windshield and handlebars. I've gotten by with only windshield swaps.

Lastly, the passenger seat is larger and about 1" taller than most H-D seats, so you may need to make some adjustments to the tourpak. On my 1999 Ultra Classic, I needed the tourpak relocation kit to push it back and raise it a little. The Rushmore bikes can easily adjust to accommodate.

The RDL folks are great to work with, but try your best to get it right the first time, as it gets expensive shipping the seat back and forth. Oh, one more thing - I used a donor pan and back-rest so that when it came time to sell/trade the bike, I could easily swap back to OEM and take the RDL to the new bike. You can pick up scuffed or ripped seats fairly cheap on Craigslist or eBay.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:28:53 AM by RoadTrip »
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »

Thanks guys for all the great info.

Road Trip,  I'm curious about your rider backrest and how it attaches... If you notice DesertHog's and Road Dad's pictured above attach differently, one has a cut out, the other doesn't, and from what you said, I believe yours may attach similar to Road Dad's, although I'm not certain.  If you could post a picture, that would be great!

Some very good points have been raised by all of you, which is very helpful.  I've been all through D-L's website and although it is informational, nothing beats info from fellow riders, so thank again guys.

Grizzly
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 10:49:50 PM »

Thanks guys for all the great info.

Road Trip,  I'm curious about your rider backrest and how it attaches... If you notice DesertHog's and Road Dad's pictured above attach differently, one has a cut out, the other doesn't, and from what you said, I believe yours may attach similar to Road Dad's, although I'm not certain.  If you could post a picture, that would be great!

Some very good points have been raised by all of you, which is very helpful.  I've been all through D-L's website and although it is informational, nothing beats info from fellow riders, so thank again guys.

Grizzly

Grizz, mine has a notch-out similar to Post #5. Will try to get a pick tomorrow. If you are attending the MITM, you can see and sit in-person!
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 22 queries.