Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Boom Twin Cooled Fairing lower speakers MY14 and up  (Read 23212 times)

ptnlinda

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
Re: Boom Twin Cooled Fairing lower speakers MY14 and up
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2017, 03:47:28 AM »

This certainly is confusing. I want to add these speakers to my FLHTKSE and as the fitting instructions say:-

"CVO Ultra and Trike: Insert 6920714 (unless already in place) into connector [162] behind passenger seat.
Connect socket side 4-way to speaker expansion harness audio [297] and 4-way pin side to socket side of 69200489 jumper. Connect pin side of 69200489 jumper to wire harness from this kit (10).
Unless previously installed, connect vehicle connector [296] (4-way pin side Molex under seat) to 296 (4-way socket side) of speaker expansion kit.

All models except 2015 and later FLHXSE: Proceed to the COMPLETION Section of this document.
COMPLETION
NOTE
To prevent possible damage to the sound system, verify that the ignition switch is OFF before attaching the battery cables.
WARNING
Connect positive (+) battery cable first. If positive (+) cable should contact ground with negative (-) cable connected, the resulting sparks can cause a battery explosion, which could result in death or serious injury. (00068a)
Apply a light coat of petroleum jelly or corrosion retardant material to battery terminals.
Install the ECM caddy per the service manual.
See the service manual. Install seat. After installing seat, pull up on the seat to verify that it is secure.
Install main fuse.
Have a Harley-Davidson dealer update the radio EQ using Digital Technician II."

No where does it say we need to add an extra amplifier when installing these on a FLHTKSE. You just instal with accessory wiring harness's then get Boom reflashed by dealer.
2015 FLHTKSE
Fuel Moto Jackpot Headers
2" Muffler Cores
Thunder Max ECM
Detachable's Kit
Stainless Fasteners throughout.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2017, 04:34:25 PM »

This certainly is confusing. I want to add these speakers to my FLHTKSE and as the fitting instructions say:-

"CVO Ultra and Trike: Insert 6920714 (unless already in place) into connector [162] behind passenger seat.
Connect socket side 4-way to speaker expansion harness audio [297] and 4-way pin side to socket side of 69200489 jumper. Connect pin side of 69200489 jumper to wire harness from this kit (10).
Unless previously installed, connect vehicle connector [296] (4-way pin side Molex under seat) to 296 (4-way socket side) of speaker expansion kit.

All models except 2015 and later FLHXSE: Proceed to the COMPLETION Section of this document.
COMPLETION
NOTE
To prevent possible damage to the sound system, verify that the ignition switch is OFF before attaching the battery cables.
WARNING
Connect positive (+) battery cable first. If positive (+) cable should contact ground with negative (-) cable connected, the resulting sparks can cause a battery explosion, which could result in death or serious injury. (00068a)
Apply a light coat of petroleum jelly or corrosion retardant material to battery terminals.
Install the ECM caddy per the service manual.
See the service manual. Install seat. After installing seat, pull up on the seat to verify that it is secure.
Install main fuse.
Have a Harley-Davidson dealer update the radio EQ using Digital Technician II."

No where does it say we need to add an extra amplifier when installing these on a FLHTKSE. You just instal with accessory wiring harness's then get Boom reflashed by dealer.
You're correct ptnlinda ......they should update the installation instructions for riders like us who read them prior to purchase......but then there are the "Harley realities" ::)LOL! Apparently the stock 300 watt Stage I amp has only four 75w channels serving the two pairs of 6.5" front fairing & TourPak speakers. Seems overkill to have to add another 300 watt four channel amp and use only two of the channels for smaller 4" LF speakers :nixweiss:!
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

ptnlinda

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »

Trigger-Man thanks for your input. I was wondering if the re-flash done by the Dealer actually powered one set of speakers from the Boom Box and the other 2 from the already installed amplifier. I have removed my tour pak with the 2 rear speakers so really only want to run the front Bat Wing speakers and lower fairing speakers when I fit them.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:55:49 PM by ptnlinda »
2015 FLHTKSE
2" Muffler Cores
Thunder Max ECM
Detachable's Kit

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2017, 09:22:57 AM »

Trigger-Man thanks for your input. I was wondering if the re-flash done by the Dealer actually powered one set of speakers from the Boom Box and the other 2 from the already installed amplifier. I have removed my tour pak with the 2 rear speakers so really only want to run the front Bat Wing speakers and lower fairing speakers when I fit them.
The BoomBox itself doesn't power any speakers, the amp does so that explains why they want you to add another amp. Now that I see what you've done to your bike I'll offer this up. You should be able to make a harness or just run speaker wires from the rear speaker connections (where did you put those wires that fed the TP speakers?) to a set of Stage1 LF speakers if they make them. You can't run Stage2 LF speakers on 1/2 an amp which is what you have available now.
Other options:
   aftermarket 2ohm speakers for the LF fitted into the HD pods if you can find any.

I didn't go digging into all the Boom parts and harnesses so there may actually be something there to move the feed from the rear TP speakers to a set of LF speakers. Would be a nice option but would require fairing removal anytime you wanted to change back and forth.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »

The BOOM! BOX 6.5GT Radio itself has a built-in internal amp rated at 25watts/channel for the basic (lower quality) 4 channel audio system, but as OBB said, it apparently "doesn't power any speakers" (when the optional 300 watt amp is connected). While it might seem theoreically "wasteful" to not be able to utilize those 100 watts, I'd speculate that it's not enough wattage to properly power the LF speakers.

As you've removed your TourPak and have no interest in rear speakers, as OBB suggested, you theoretically should be able to (creatively?) connect your LF speakers to the TourPak speaker cabling with all 4 speakers powered by your existng front fairing amp. Of course, this assumes you're running a Stage I system where a single amp supplies 75watts/channel to each of the 4 speakers. If you were to upgrade your system to Stage II, you'd need another 300watt amp (one for each pair of Stage II speakers). The LF speaker kit works for either Stage I or Stage II systems as per the kits instructions:

• Vehlcles with Stage I a speaker expansion kit is required to enable six or eight speakers (NA in your case as you still have 4 speakers).
  • Vehicles with Stage II purchase of Lower Amplifier Kit (Part No. 76000277A). Lower Speaker Installation Kit (Part No. 76000586).

Good luck with this and let us know how it works out ;D :2vrolijk_21:
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2017, 04:16:45 PM »

That is correct Triggerman, I have talked to "the Boom man" at my dealership and he told me if I just wanted my boom 1 system running LF speakers and no tourpak speakers running, I could run the wires straight to the amp in the fairing , pull the wiring connection plug from the amp, un pin the existing female pins 1 and 2 for the left side and pins 3 and 4 for the right side , and plug the new wires in and plug the block back into the amp, wire tie things and put the fairing back and you're done.

The color codes are the same on all the wires,  put them in the same position in the block.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 04:23:33 PM by King Glide »
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

ptnlinda

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2017, 05:42:53 AM »

OBB
(where did you put those wires that fed the TP speakers?) The wires to the rear speakers are coiled up under the seat.

Trigger Mann
"Good luck with this and let us know how it works out". Thanks for your input again and will let you know how I go.

King Glide.
Appreciate your reply and this will probably be the solution I need which is along the lines OBB described in his post.

Again thanks to the three of you for your interest and reply to my posts.

2015 FLHTKSE
2" Muffler Cores
Thunder Max ECM
Detachable's Kit

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »

Jb, so you went down this road... i take it you have stage 1 with LF speakers and an amp for the LFs. what was the total bill on that if i can ask

I got 20% off all the parts, so all in with labor was about $900.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2017, 09:55:13 PM »

I ordered mine this afternoon along with a 16 pin deutch connector. I'm going to run my wires under the seat and pin them into the harness that connects the tourpak speakers, then if I want to go with the tourpak's set, it's just a plug in. If I want to go boomII I'll put the amp under the tourpak and hook it to the tp speakers. Inho, it makes more sense to put the fronts together on the main amp.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

McDirty33

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2018, 11:05:09 AM »

Completed the install on my 2016 CVO Street Glide.   First of all,  BIG THANKS to POOJ10 for the Jumper Harness part number!   My dealer did not have this part in stock and could tell me nothing about it!   It is not noted in the instructions nor on Harley's website.  I could find no pictures of it on Google.   I found a dealer on the locator that had it and sent him pictures of what I was up against and he compared the pics to the harness to confirm that is what I needed.     Cost me another 77.00 bucks and shipping so make sure you budget for that!

Next -   I could not have the system flashed prior to the install because the Radio needed to be flashed first and then each of the 3 amps had to be flashed.    They must be installed in order to do this.  I completed the install and just left the Amp in the RH saddlebag disconnected for the trip to the dealer.   

I was able to watch the tech at the dealership while the flashing was performed.    When you hook up the Digital Technician to the Data Link, it automatically recognizes your model, year and VIN and gives them a menu to pick for the different configurations.    The tech had to change the drop down to "3 amps" before he could see the option to re-flash for "Fairing, Saddlebag & Lower Fairing speakers."    Once he flashed the radio, it set communication error codes for the 3 amps.   He then went through the process for re-flashing each of the 3 amps (Took about 2 and a half minutes for each amp!)   

After everything was flashed the system works beautifully!   The Fader function on the infotainment system has changed to a diagram of the bike that you can touch to move the sound around.

The system now sounds amazing!    Very Loud,  Very Clear and Very Powerful!   You can feel the "Thump!"  Plus the new speakers look Bad Ass!

I took some pics of the main things to know -   The rest you can pretty much figure out from the istructions

The part numbers I used are: 
Boom! Audio Stage II Fairing Lower Speaker Installation Kit

Boom! Audio Amplifier
76000277A

Boom! Audio Stage I/II Fairing Lower Speaker Kit

Boom! Audio Stage I/II Fairing Lower Speaker Installation Kit

20 Pin Jumper Harness for Amp Input

I have a 2016 Street Glide CVO, just started the install last night and stumbled across this post. I think its going to help me a lot. I still have a few questions.
Got a good question for you here... did you have to upgrade the charging system? What did you do with the wires in the attached picture? Also I was wanting to know where the wires ran on the right side. I have mine going up and over the Bosch ABS module thing.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2018, 11:56:40 AM »

Possibly it is time for a Sound Off Competition?   :nixweiss:

Boom Audio vs. Hog Tunes lower fairing speakers.

Don't forget to let us know the end cost of both systems.

Now all we need is two members who have these setups to post a YouTube video of the Sound Off.   :2vrolijk_21:
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2018, 02:31:17 PM »

$1400 installed I'm out!!! Over $1000 for speakers,amp and wiring harness.

That was my thought exactly!  :soapbox: I bought a complete J&M RoKKer Xtreme 500watt amp, fairing speakers, rear lid speakers, and all the required mounting/wiring needed for that much for 14 SGS  :nixweiss:
2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

bensonjv

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO3: 2018 FLHTKSE
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2018, 04:56:42 PM »

Does anyone know the specifics on why Harley has deemed this kit non-compatible with FLHTKSE with Stage II  Audio?  The only thing I could imagine was an amp storage issue but the FLHXSE fits everything in just fine; two amps in fairing and one in saddlebag.  Why would the Limited have more difficulty?  Could add the amp to the saddlebag same way or mount to bottom of tour-pak.

They show both an 8/4/1200 and 6/3/900 watt config for Stage II and you can install this on everything else except the CVO Limited and CVO SG with a tour-pak.  Fine if its a legit technical thing but I just don't like it when Harley simply says, no you can't do that and never explains why.  Besides, it might not be technical but rather marketing-based; to try to push you to a different model.  Of course, just for the speakers, install kit and amp you are in for about a grand.  That's a lot of money to spend on a "it might work" experiment.

There is precedent for my skepticism though.  I was told I could not install a CB (bike to bike) module or lighted switch kit on a 2017 SGS because it wouldn't work with the BOOM software version for that model.  I have to use the new Sena 20s.  And so on.  Yeah...it was plug and play and switches work without issue. 

Fits '14-later FLHTCU-TC, FLHTK, FLHTKL, FLHTKSE, FLTRU, FLTRUSE, and '14-'17 FLHXSE models with Twin-Cooled engines. Use on vehicles equipped with Stage II Boom!™ Audio systems requires the separate purchase of Boom!™ Audio amplifier Kit P/N 76000277A and Speaker Installation Kit P/N 76000586 or 76000749. FLHXSE models require separate purchase of Installation Kit P/N 76000734. Does not fit FLHXSE models equipped with Tour-Paks. Does not fit FLHTKSE models equipped with Boom!™ Audio Stage II. Not compatible with Screamin' Eagle® Heavy Breather Kits.

bensonjv

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO3: 2018 FLHTKSE
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2018, 05:11:21 PM »

Going to answer my own question.  Got this response from a dealer service department via my salesman.  Actually makes the most sense.....sort of.

Two reasons it won't work:  First, it’s a safety issue with the added weight inside the fairing on the Limited.  ::) For some reason that's not an issue on the StreetGlide. In addition, HD hasn’t programmed a flash code for the CVO limited radio configuration with the lower fairing speaker kit that encompasses stage II.

That's actually plausible and is part of the rationale for why I was told I could not do the CB in the StreetGlide with lighted switches.  The premise is that although the BOOM! 6.5 hardware is the same, the software config is different for each model and each trim package for each bike.  While we can conceive of infinite variations of accessorizing, Harley only creates and tests software configs for a small number of configurations.

Does anyone know the specifics on why Harley has deemed this kit non-compatible with FLHTKSE with Stage II  Audio?  The only thing I could imagine was an amp storage issue but the FLHXSE fits everything in just fine; two amps in fairing and one in saddlebag.  Why would the Limited have more difficulty?  Could add the amp to the saddlebag same way or mount to bottom of tour-pak.

They show both an 8/4/1200 and 6/3/900 watt config for Stage II and you can install this on everything else except the CVO Limited and CVO SG with a tour-pak.  Fine if its a legit technical thing but I just don't like it when Harley simply says, no you can't do that and never explains why.  Besides, it might not be technical but rather marketing-based; to try to push you to a different model.  Of course, just for the speakers, install kit and amp you are in for about a grand.  That's a lot of money to spend on a "it might work" experiment.

There is precedent for my skepticism though.  I was told I could not install a CB (bike to bike) module or lighted switch kit on a 2017 SGS because it wouldn't work with the BOOM software version for that model.  I have to use the new Sena 20s.  And so on.  Yeah...it was plug and play and switches work without issue. 

Fits '14-later FLHTCU-TC, FLHTK, FLHTKL, FLHTKSE, FLTRU, FLTRUSE, and '14-'17 FLHXSE models with Twin-Cooled engines. Use on vehicles equipped with Stage II Boom!™ Audio systems requires the separate purchase of Boom!™ Audio amplifier Kit P/N 76000277A and Speaker Installation Kit P/N 76000586 or 76000749. FLHXSE models require separate purchase of Installation Kit P/N 76000734. Does not fit FLHXSE models equipped with Tour-Paks. Does not fit FLHTKSE models equipped with Boom!™ Audio Stage II. Not compatible with Screamin' Eagle® Heavy Breather Kits.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »

Going to answer my own question.  Got this response from a dealer service department via my salesman.  Actually makes the most sense.....sort of.

Two reasons it won't work:  First, it’s a safety issue with the added weight inside the fairing on the Limited.  ::) For some reason that's not an issue on the StreetGlide. In addition, HD hasn’t programmed a flash code for the CVO limited radio configuration with the lower fairing speaker kit that encompasses stage II.

That's actually plausible and is part of the rationale for why I was told I could not do the CB in the StreetGlide with lighted switches.  The premise is that although the BOOM! 6.5 hardware is the same, the software config is different for each model and each trim package for each bike.  While we can conceive of infinite variations of accessorizing, Harley only creates and tests software configs for a small number of configurations.

Dunno about that. When I added the 2nd amp to my '15 FLTRUSE and had my mechanic program the radio, there was an option for 1,2,3 or 4 amps in the software. Whether something changed in two model years or not, I don't know. But I highly doubt there were any changes.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 21 queries.