Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: (Case Closed )First Highway ride, greeted with some sneezing and a P0131  (Read 4899 times)

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.

Well, first highway/freeway trip on my new to me breakout was less than awesome. between 2500-3000 RPM over 65 I would would get a random sneeze every now and then. Got home and checked for codes and there was a P0131 waiting for me. So what do you folks think the Front Oxygen Sensor Low/Engine lean code could be? When I got the bike it had the big radius pipes already installed and as of now only has 2,600 miles on it.

Could the front sensor be going tits up?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:05:41 PM by CHH_Badkarma »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: First Highway ride, greeted with some sneezing and a P0131
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 09:32:39 PM »

More likely that you really do have a lean condition, thus the "sneezing".  The codes are just a tool to help you get started on the diagnostic trail, they don't necessarily mean the sensor involved is bad.  You will need to do some additional testing. 

You mentioned the big radius pipes already installed on the "new to you" bike.  Do you have any information as to whether or not the bike was tuned after changing the pipes?  If it wasn't, that code might be an indication that the engine became so lean the engine management system couldn't compensate enough to keep the mixture at the correct level. When that happens, the system is supposed to set that code.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 09:42:39 PM »

According to the dealer I purchased the bike from it was already tuned for the pipes. When I purchased it I asked them specifically If I had to do any tuning for the pipes and they said it was already done. I would take it back out to that dealer, however it is over 1.5 hours away by highway. I do have a local dealer about for miles away and riding there would not be a problem as the bike runs great around town.

Just curious as to what the service department would do or say in regards to this.

I have been pondering the purchase of an FP3. Wondering if I might end up doing that sooner than later now
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 10:49:13 PM by CHH_Badkarma »

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 09:36:29 AM »

Exhaust leak where pipe connects to the head?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 10:34:53 AM »

You need to find a good tech somewhere, independent or dealership, and have the diagnostic routines performed.  I only mentioned one possibility about the tune, there could be many other issues that would also cause the engine management system to set that same code.  Just guessing isn't the way to fix it.  I seem to remember some fuel pump issues on Breakouts for instance.  Low fuel pressure will cause a lean mixture that may not be obvious or lean enough to cause the system to be unable to compensate under light load conditions around town, but under higher loads and rpms would be too lean for the system to compensate.  Testing the fuel pump would be one of the items I'm talking about when I say run the full diagnostics.

As for the FP3 comment, to each his own but if you are serious about making the bike run as well as it can under all conditions, you might want to first consider finding a really good dyno tuner and consulting with him about a full tune.  At least check out all your options before buying a product that may not the best choice.

JMHO - Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 11:22:16 AM »

I agree with everything you mentioned there Jerry 😊

Will be setting up to go see the dealer in the next week or so. I too have also read of some bugs in there related to fuel. One of them that comes to mind first is issues with material being inside the fuel tank from the prep and paint process. I do want to have proper Diagnostics done to get to the bottom of this. That is paramount before anything else is done.

That being said once this is wrapped up I would like to have a proper proper Dyno session done if I can find a reputable tuner in my area. Nothing beats a full dyno tune. I had one done on my Silverado Super Sport and the difference was night and day. I would love to do the same for my bike. Thanks again for the input Jerry. Once I get this ironed out I will post back will the info.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:25:44 AM by CHH_Badkarma »

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: First Highway ride, greeted with some sneezing and a P0131 (update)
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 10:06:11 PM »

Well, dealer said the front O2 sensor needed to be replaced. They said they ran a diagnostic and that was the only trouble they could find. So once I get a chance this weekend I'll hop on the freeway and take her for a ride and see if the sneezes happen again.

Thanks again for all the advice :)

Update:
Well, sneeze remains (and another P0131). Dealer that did the O2 change said it is *possible* that they installed a bad sensor. I am not to sure the odds of that. Oddly, the fella at my local dealer didn't want me to keep bringing my bike in and suggested in get in touch with his friend at the dealership where I got the bike. Not used to a dealership not wanting to just take my money  :o

So I called up the dealer where I got the bike and asked if they knew what kind of tuning was done to the bike in regards to the exhaust yada yada. Guy was very understanding and said he would get in touch with the original owner and see how it was tuned. He also asked me what speed and gear it was happening in. I told him 6th gear between 2500-3000. He said I shouldn't be touching 6th gear until around 90 and that could be bogging things down causing the sneeze. I thought that was a little odd since it did not by a long shot seem like I was lugging the motor at all. Then again I am used to a 5 speed evo so I suppose it is within the realm of possibility. This is after all my first TC, let alone six speed trans.

I got a call back a few hours later and *supposedly the original owner had it dyno tuned for the exhaust. They did not have the name of the shop or tuner that did the tune. They did mention that if I take it somewhere for a retune that I should be careful as the tune is likely encrypted and that could cause issues.

So it seems I am back to square one. Going to give a shop in Costa Mesa (cycle doctor) a call and see what they have to say about this situation in regards to the tune and issues and see what they have to say.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 11:26:49 PM by CHH_Badkarma »

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 11:27:07 PM »

Admin, feel free to move this thread if it is no longer in the proper section.

panner

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 09:57:51 AM »

Bad fuel pump?

ultrarider123

Re: First Highway ride, greeted with some sneezing and a P0131 (update)
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 10:55:01 AM »

So it seems I am back to square one. Going to give a shop in Costa Mesa (cycle doctor) a call and see what they have to say about this situation in regards to the tune and issues and see what they have to say.

Just read this thread.  I'm always curious when a dealer does the "bullpoop shuffle" with a customer.  So, it's been over a month since your last post.  What didja find out and what's been done, CHH?  Inquiring minds want to know.... ;D

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »

I know this sounds stupid and unlikely that dealership would make same mistake but I always try to look for easiest solution first. Are the O2 sensors in the right positions. The black one is for the rear cylinder. "Back in Black".
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 10:04:53 AM »

Lol yeah, first thing I check. Should see how things pan out by the end of this week. Bike is in the shop for diagnosis and a dyno tune. The tuner at the shop suspects the tune that is on the bike now being the culprit.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 03:13:59 PM »

Just got a call from the tuner. Seems I'm getting about half the fuel preasure I should. In the 30s. He is going to pull the tank and trouble shoot. Wonder if I have a tank with junk in it from paint/prep.

To be continued

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 04:59:39 PM »

Just got a call from the tuner. Seems I'm getting about half the fuel preasure I should. In the 30s. He is going to pull the tank and trouble shoot. Wonder if I have a tank with junk in it from paint/prep.

To be continued

If you remember my earlier post I mentioned the fact that more than a few Breakouts of that vintage had fuel pump problems.  It's sad that the first dealership you went to didn't actually do any real diagnostics but just assumed a code referencing an O2 sensor must mean the sensor is bad, and when that didn't fix the issue they gave you a load of crap and suggested you go elsewhere.  You might want to make a note to yourself to avoid that place in the future. 

Now that you've found someone who had the sense to check fuel pressure, I expect you will be back on the road running much better in no time.

Jerry

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 05:19:32 PM »

Yes indeed. I like this shop. The owner is the tuner and actually takes the time to talk "with" you and not "at" you.

As we all know these days most dealers just remove and replace. They either dont know how or dont bother troubleshooting. You are right though, that dealer is scratched off the list.

Thanks again for keepin me pointed in the right direction Jerry

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 04:28:27 PM »

Well all seems right with the world.

Fuel pump was indeed the issue.So that was replaced and she received some TLC via a tune and dyno time. She grows some serious legs on the highway. No more sneeze, just lots of Gooooooo! :orange:

Thanks for all the  help and advice fellas.

BK

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 05:52:56 PM by CHH_Badkarma »
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.