Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chrome wheel protection  (Read 5226 times)

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
Chrome wheel protection
« on: September 03, 2016, 08:28:05 AM »

Morning all, though I would ask what folks are using for their chrome wheel protection.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Chrome wheel protection
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 01:01:27 PM »

Best thing you can do with chrome is be gentle. It is not like it was on a '57 Chev bumper. Chrome itself is lower quality due partly to us wanting to live longer (epa) and the material under it is softer (alum). Just wash it with lots of soapy water, dry with a micro fiber cloth that is designed to dry without a lot of rubbing and polish ONLY when the wheel is completely clean with a clean soft applicator and a mild chrome polish. You don't "wax" chrome, you polish the surface and clean it to prevent foreign substances from penetrating the outer layer.
You scratch it by wiping them after a ride when they have brake dust on them (Metallic particles) and that scratch has opened an area for penetration to start and eventually separation or lifting of the chrome which we call peeling.
I don't have problems with chrome, but I also take time to maintain it. Spent over and hour yesterday cleaning and polishing the chrome wheels on my wife's SUV. Pain, but they look like new even living close to the beach and salt water.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 07:01:12 AM »

As mentioned above chrome on our bikes is not what it used to be back in the day. That being said you really want to try and keep contaminants off of the wheels and certainly keep them from getting scrubbed into the chrome.

Best thing to do is keep them washed clean with bike wash or your favorite shampoo (for Autos) .Once clean and dry and free of spots seal them with your favorite wax or sealant. This will keep brake dust particles and road grime from getting ground into the chrome over time and help it release when you wash the bike.

Brake dust is the major culprit when it comes to Chrome. Overtime brake dust that is allowed to set becomes mildly acidic and you can imagine what that would do to the Chrome. Also you want to try to polish your wheels as little as possible as they don't hold up to  ot as well over timr with the chrome quality being the way it is these days.

Keep them washed, cleaned and sealed and they will live a lot longer.

Rebel1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 01:17:35 PM »

I have been using a product called Luster Seal for several years.  It seems to do a very good job sealing the surface.  I generally clean and reapply every 2-3 months.  They also have polish strips which work really well on spoke wheels.   
Their website is www.lusterlace.com
Bob   

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 04:15:09 PM »

Detail rinse the rims and apply Glare once/twice a year. Seems to keep them sealed and they clean up easy with soap and water.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 08:48:14 PM »

I like Mother's Chrome Polish although I'm not sure what protection it offers.  I also have Meguiar's Gold Wax for the paint protection.  Wonder if that's good for chrome?
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 08:02:58 AM »

Anyone use s100 polishing soap on chrome? Supposedly has non abrasive clay particles in it.
http://www.autogeek.net/s10010.html

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Springer
    • CVO3: 2020 Ultra Limited
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 08:14:37 AM »

Yes!  I use the polishing soap with great success on my chrome CVO wheels.  The rest of my chrome stays clean enough that I don't think it is necessary there, but if it got dirty, I would use the polishing soap without reservation.  It is really easy to use.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »

I clearly don't keep my wheels cleaned like you guys.  I wash her and don't; always do the rear wheel (since it is such a pain). Once a year I do a real detail (winter) and I have been putting polish first and then waxing the wheels.  So far with any of the chrome wheels (or other items) I have had no issues. I am going to look at the polishing soap. Their products are very good.

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 05:43:38 AM »

I have had excellent results with http://www.chemicalguys.com/Wheel_Guard_Max_Coat_Rim_Wheel_Sealant_8_oz_p/wac_303.htm
It seals and really makes the chrome pop.  After you have a couple coats the brake dust and dirt washes off real easy.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 12:27:06 AM »

Went with Pinnacle Black series ceramic coating for the entire bike. My detailer that only does motorcycles (thanks JC) swears by the ceramic coming process so will see. After doing process he then did a coat of their matching wax (Synergy) the following week and i will say that the shine was amazing. Stuff is crazy expensive but "next level" for sure at least as far as appearance. Hopefully protection will be there as well.
http://www.autogeek.net/diamond-surface-coating.html
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 12:28:21 AM »

Went with Pinnacle Black series ceramic coating for the entire bike. My detailer that only does motorcycles (thanks JC) swears by the ceramic coming process so will see. After doing process he then did a coat of their matching wax (Synergy) the following week and i will say that the shine was amazing. Stuff is crazy expensive but "next level" for sure at least as far as appearance. Hopefully protection will be there as well.
http://www.autogeek.net/diamond-surface-coating.html
Matching wax
http://www.autogeek.net/black-label-synergy.html
Alan

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 22 queries.