Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Why Your Harley Wobbles... (Sharing what I've learned)  (Read 11825 times)

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO SG (Hard Candy Mercury)
    • CVO2: 2002 Road Glide (Silver)
    • CVO3: 2005 Chrysler 300C (Custom)
Why Your Harley Wobbles... (Sharing what I've learned)
« on: September 03, 2016, 08:57:41 AM »

Hello everyone,  Just about every site I visit, and during many conversations with fellow Harley enthusiasts, I'm pretty convinced that there is a lot of confusion on the subject of why our motorcycles are not as stable as we might expect them to be. I've been researching this for years and done a fair amount of work related to this subject on my own bikes. Making an improvement in the stability of both of my Harleys is one of the most rewarding things I've done to my bikes.  So in the spirit of sharing I'm posting a paper on the subject.  I hope it helps you understand the issues better and that you be more prepared if you decide to make an improvement on your own ride. I've never really found a laymen's paper on this subject, so I decided to write one. After all, it is a safety issue too...  Best Regards.  Tim

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Why Your Harley Wobbles... (Sharing what I've learned)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 09:50:54 AM »

Interesting read. Thank you.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 10:10:39 AM »

Like you I have analyzed "the wobble" for many years, unlike you I could never put together such a well thought out paper. Great job!
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Bafiii

• B.A.
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited. Platinum/Charcoal Gray
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 10:21:16 AM »

Very interesting read.....I would be very interested to read the "fixes" you have done especially on your cvo. 
Thank you

n8schmitz

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 10:38:19 AM »

Well written!  2X for the details on the fixes you've done!

2016 CVO Street Glide
Carbon Crystal w/ Phantom Flames
Matched Chopped Tour Pack
Reinhart Slimlines
Fuel Pak FP3
Screamin Eagle Breather
Yaffy 12" Bars and License Plate Frame

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 11:05:32 AM »

Like you I have analyzed "the wobble" for many years, unlike you I could never put together such a well thought out paper. Great job!

Thanks.  Must be a Jersey thing )))  I grew up close to Morristown area.

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 11:16:13 AM »

Very interesting read.....I would be very interested to read the "fixes" you have done especially on your cvo. 
Thank you

I'm half done on the 2015.  I have the rear mounts properly stabalized but I'm still deciding on how I'll do the front.  I have a few Ideas... And I like simple solutions.   Even with just the rear done I can feel the difference.  But with the street glide you got a few things to do...  Proper shocks, correct the stance (get the butt off the ground), decient tires and of course, add the stabilizers.  It's all important.

I'm Currently overseas at work.  I'll be home in a couple weeks and I'll have a chance to get back at it.

The thing about the new bikes is you need to add stabalizers on the front and rear.  It's not like the older bikes where you can just stabilize the rear and your done.   Cheers!

--

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 11:32:13 AM »

Good article but how do you explain the fact that regardless of old or new frame, some do and some don't exibit the wobble?

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 11:57:20 AM »

Good article but how do you explain the fact that regardless of old or new frame, some do and some don't exibit the wobble?

I suspect it has alot to do with rider style.  Some folks maybe just do not push it as much as others.  On my 2002 RG I did not feel the true oscillating "Wobble" but a few times.  Both were on the freeway on long sweeping corner at 60+ MPH.  Many of the guys I ride with push it harder than me and they have had it happen more often.  The point is the "Wobble" is the worst of the conditions.  When I stabilized my 2002 RG I felt the difference immediately and at all speeds.  In CA we can cut lanes where you ride the lane divider bumps. And and the freeways in LA are concrete with grooves. My bike used to wander all over the place rinding on that crap. The 2002 was completely more solid after I stabilized the rear of the PTU.  Like I said, I did not even know how bad it was until I changed it.  My 2002 is rock solid now.  In fact, it rides better than my 2015 at all speeds and conditions.  I'm actually hoping "alot" that I can get my 2015 to ride anywhere as well as the 2002 rides now.  So I cannot speak for everyone.  But mechanically I know the mounts flex.  And in general the instability is widly known by many folks.  So it's certinally not an isolated condition.

It's a good question though.  If your not feeling it then your one of the luck ones.

--
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 12:02:26 PM by TRS300 »

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 04:22:14 PM »

I own both, 08sg & 12 cvo ultra. so what did you do to rg to resolve the issue. I'll continue to follow this thread for info on the newer suspensions as well. thanks
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 08:29:25 PM »

I guess I have been lucky with my last three as I havent owned the new frame yet. I agree adding the upgrade parts would prolly be a good idea for the POM though. Still great article.

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 08:54:28 PM »

Great article. Really gets to the issues of both designs, both good and bad.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 11:18:21 PM »

For whatever reason, my laptop won't display your article.  Have to wait 'till Tuesday to pull it up on my PC at work to read it.  Looking forward to it.  My experience with the "wobble", has been limited, in that it always occured in a sweeping curve to the right, at high speed.  Scary, a time or two!  Went thru all the local opinions as to what to do to fix it, but to no avail.  Then, Don Tilley told me the "hi-speed wobble", was somtimes caused by aerodynamics, or the lack thereof.  All I know is, at his recommendation, I moved my hi-way pegs up on the Crash-Bar, (no lowers), to where my boot, when resting on the Hi-Way peg, was totally independent of resting on the Floor-Board, and wa-lah, NO MORE WOBBLE!  Laugh if you will, but that's a fact.  I had some wobble in the same situation, on the CVO Ultra I own now, but attributed it to the tires being cupped.  Just put New Elites on it, but don't know if that fixed it yet, as I ain't had the opportunty to strech it out.  If it's still there, I'll reposition my HI-Way pegs, and see if that fixes it.  I'm bettin' it will, if it's still wobbling.  We'll see.  JMHO.  Later--HUBBARD     
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 08:49:20 AM »

When Norton came up with this idea of rubber mounting the complete engine/gearbox/swinging arm (in the late 60s) their design included vernier adjusters on the front and rear mounts. The bean counters got involved and they down specced to adjustment by shimming. But at least you had the ability to adjust to the optimum - manual said 10 thou but the cops and racers went to 6 thou for a bit more vibration but better handling.
I believe the later 850 Commando models did get the vernier adjusters front and rear and there was a Norvil upgrade for the head steady to make that adjustable in the same way.

Long story short - the clever guys that designed this system  originally realised you needed to be able to set the side loading correctly at the factory and then adjust it during regular maintenance over the life of those rubber mounts.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 10:00:41 PM »

TRS,
Great illustrations in the paper--really helped with visualization and understanding.  Question:  Are you developing a solution for the 2009+ bikes that you can market when finished?
If you want peace, prepare for war.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.