Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 Wires under ignition switch lock cylinder  (Read 2898 times)

Bhentz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

2 Wires under ignition switch lock cylinder
« on: September 06, 2016, 05:27:55 PM »

There are 2 wires (blue and green) coming out from the bottom side of the ignition switch lock cylinder on my 2012 CVO Ultra, I am still waiting on my supplemental service manual to arrive so I don't have access to a wiring diagram, but I believe these two wires operate the remote fork locks. Does anyone know if that is correct and or if that's all they operate? Mine are broken or I broke them removing lock cylinder (but I don't think so). I don't think I've ever used the remote fork lock so I don't know if it's ever worked since I've owned it. A new lock cylinder is $500 + from our friends in Milwaukee so if that's all they operate well easy come easy go!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:05:36 PM by Bhentz »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: 2 Wire under ignition swich lock cylinder
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 06:01:32 PM »

Those should be your lock wires. Your remote fob also is suppose to lock and unlock your tour pack and saddlebags.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
Re: 2 Wires under ignition switch lock cylinder
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 06:33:17 PM »

Check on the multiple threads on here... if you've never used your 'remote fob' to lock the forks, or saddle bags and or tour pak, you may not be aware of an issue many of us discovered by chance.

I can't remember the exact sequence of events, but at some point while using the remote to lock the forks, the switch itself did not unlock... or if it did, the ignition never received the contacts to transfer power to the electrical system.  It took several minutes of monkeying around with the switch, unlock-lock-unlock... before the switch functioned as it should.

Just something to think about.  This problem didn't seem to replicate for those who always used the hard-key and not the remote.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Bhentz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 07:33:44 PM »

I do recall the tour pac locks working by FOB but I don't know about the fork locks. Any chance the bags and tour pac locks are on another circuit? Anybody ever tried to disassemble a lock cylinder?

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 08:10:39 PM »

I believe all the power locks are on the same circuit, I'm not certain where the receiver is, probably under the side cover.
I've had my ignition switched changed three times on my 11.5 - good thing  I've got an ESP!!

My typical symptoms are that the bags will lock/unlock with the fob but the ignition/fork lock will not. The wires running up to the ignition switch are small gauge and very easily damaged just from normal usage of the switch, every time you turn the ignition your twisting the wires and if they aren't/weren't installed just the right way either the insulation breaks and the wires short out or the wires just plain break and the lock stops working. At least one failure of mine was an installation error by the dealer technician causing the pin for the fork lock to actually sever the wires the first time I tried it -- before signing the work order off as complete. They ordered another new lock before I even left the service area and had to bring the bike back when they got the part in.

Without the ESP I would probably just go back to using the key....
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 08:15:31 PM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Bhentz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 08:27:51 PM »

Thanks Phato1 if it's only the fork locks disabled by the broken wire I can live with that, but the wife likes the remote trunk and bag locks. ;D

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.